Securing H Cat safe

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Securing H Cat safe

Post by Rider888 » 03 Nov 2023, 1:43 pm

My reading of the safe storage for SA is that if it is under 150kg then it must be bolted down with 2 bolts
It’s pretty loose considering the other states.
So just confirming as long as I have 2 dynabolts or Ankascrews into the slab, that’s all that matters? If so I’ll use 6mm x 50 long or thereabouts
Can anyone confirm this?
Thank you
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Securing H Cat safe

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Nov 2023, 5:33 pm

Your Regs do state that a safe less than 150kg is to be secured with 2 anchor bolts, but are you confidant a Police Officer inspecting your storage would conclude that a 6x50 anchor constitutes "solid anchor bolt"? I would go for 10mmx75 as a minimum.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 04 Nov 2023, 5:31 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Your Regs do state that a safe less than 150kg is to be secured with 2 anchor bolts, but are you confidant a Police Officer inspecting your storage would conclude that a 6x50 anchor constitutes "solid anchor bolt"? I would go for 10mmx75 as a minimum.

Nothing to do with their conclusion IMO. The fact that it is bolted to the floor with 2 x Dynabolts has met the requirements plus I really dont want to make such big holes in a rental
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 04 Nov 2023, 8:19 am

Depends if you want to do it right the first time or the second time
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 07 Nov 2023, 4:23 am

womble wrote:Depends if you want to do it right the first time or the second time

Yep thats true but there seems to be no "wrong" way in SA as it isnt scripted in the regulations unlike many other states. In NSW, for example, it gets down to the weeds and tells you it has to be M10 and 90mm long

I think for SA I will just use a M6 50 or the next longest because I also hate drilling large holes and the larger the hole, the more I will stuff up the drill bit going in straight :O
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to South Australian gun laws