Firearm prohibition orders on public register

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Firearm prohibition orders on public register

Post by Gregg » 13 May 2015, 10:25 am

I wasn't sure about posted this as it seems like sharing something I don't think should be shared. It's already public though and anyone looking for such things would find it so I guess I can.

It's news to me that in SA the names and date of birth of people under firearms prohibition orders are available on a public register. Here is a direct link from the SA Police website.

[Mod edit: Removed now-dead link]

It doesn't say why the order is in place and I'm while I'm sure the majority of them are deserved we know that at times people can unfairly end up on these kinds of things or the punishment can exceed the crime. That's what I have in mind while thinking about this.

I can't see what they hope to achieve by making this public, I suspect the logic behind this is something along the lines of public safety so someone on under an order doesn't purchase a firearm, but since all legal purchases and transfers go through licensed dealers anyway there is no point. If a prohibited person applied for either it would get picked up during the application/permit process, making the public display pointless.

It only serves to demonize the people on the list as far as I can tell.
Last edited by Aster on 02 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed now-dead link
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Firearm prohibition orders on public register

Post by pajamatime » 30 Jun 2015, 2:39 pm

Not Found

The requested URL /__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/2598/Register-FPO-Public-version-11.05.2015.pdf was not found on this server.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sender » 02 Jul 2015, 10:32 am

Maybe they read your message and took it to heart Gregg :lol:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 02 Jul 2015, 11:13 am

pajamatime wrote:Not Found

Did you think for a second it was taken down due to privacy concerns?? :lol:

It's updated, probably monthly, do a search with "Register-FPO-Public-version" add in a phrase specific to the SApol: "site:police.sa.gov"

:thumbsup:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 02 Jul 2015, 11:52 am

I dunno what to tell you about the broken links, it worked when I posted it.

Going from memory now but it was basically a list of full names and the time the order was activated against the person.

Question remains the same. I don't see how this does anything for public safety, what good does it do to publicly list people like this :unknown:

Thoughts or opinions?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 02 Jul 2015, 12:07 pm

It is still there... just a different up-dated name.
I wont post a link, although I dont support the actions of those listed, I'm not in agreement with distribution of this police database.... It also, through its public nature, places significant obligations and penalties on firearm owners who are NOT listed... those who are law abiding.

Refer condition 10 to 12..... because its in the public domain, law abiding licence holder have been made aware of 'the list' and must comply
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Boatman » 02 Jul 2015, 2:34 pm

No, there is no reason to make this information public.

There are two options for people on the list if they still tried to acquire a firearm.

1) Black market
2) Apply through legal channels where it would get stopped during the licensing/permit checks.

The list doesn't stop the first and doesn't help the second.

Standard vilifying gun in general, painting criminals and law abiding gun owners with the same black brush IMO.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 02 Jul 2015, 3:07 pm

Boatman wrote:No, there is no reason to make this information public.

There are two options for people on the list if they still tried to acquire a firearm.

1) Black market
2) Apply through legal channels where it would get stopped during the licensing/permit checks.

The list doesn't stop the first and doesn't help the second.

Standard vilifying gun in general, painting criminals and law abiding gun owners with the same black brush IMO.

with the same brush??

the sad thing is that most licensed shooters don't realise they are listed on the same national (&effectively global) criminal database known as....
C R I M T R A C

as the criminal... so once we are licensed we are indeed in the same class. :thumbsdown:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brisb » 03 Jul 2015, 3:57 pm

How does that work in relation to crimtrac (which I assumed only shows criminal convictions)?

If a background check is put through on us for work or whatever in the system it shows we have a firearms license?
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 03 Jul 2015, 4:26 pm

brisb wrote:How does that work in relation to crimtrac (which I assumed only shows criminal convictions)?

If a background check is put through on us for work or whatever in the system it shows we have a firearms license?

A police check returns criminal convictions as I understand.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 06 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

(I process Crimtrack checks as part of a business I'm involved with)

The information that the Police return through Crimtrack is discretionary, the checks don't just retrieve everything available on a person automatically and deliver it to the enquirer.

When a check is submitted it is automatically compared to the database of persons with convictions, if there are no possible matches it's returned straight away, if there is a potential match the Police review manually and only disclose the details if it's relevant to the reasons for the check at hand. It's not a matter of 'any details for person X?' followed by 'sure, 'here is their entire record'.

If you do have a conviction which isn't relevant to the reasons for the check being done at that time, it may not be disclosed disclosed. e.g. If you were doing a pre-employment check to become a taxi driver and have a drink driving conviction it would show. I believe if you had the same conviction and were doing a pre-employment check to become a cleaner at an office building etc. the Police may not disclose it as it's arguably not relevant.

The report doesn't say "no convictions", it says "no disclosable court outcomes". Likewise if you have a clean record, it still says "no disclosable court outcomes". There is nothing to distinguish between clean or irrelevant convictions which aren't revealed.

Never seen any mention of firearms license either way in checks I have processed.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws