Revised Firearms Legislation

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Revised Firearms Legislation

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2015, 10:45 pm

Looks like our decision makers have worked out how to stop firearm crimes and criminals in their tracks.

I'm yet to see the revised legislation but have heared bits of it in the news.

Of interest to me is storage requirements, apparently the minimum standard for size and type has been changed ?

Im hoping I now need a bigger one ;)

Anyone heard anything official?
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 12 Jul 2015, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Revised Firearms Legislation

Post by brett1868 » 12 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm

Not yet but I did order a another safe last week, A Lokaway LCH2 250Kg monster for Cat A, B, C & H and I'll get to work filling it once it arrives :) Admittedly the current minimum requirements I think are a bit on the weak side of security and I'd also make it mandatory that safe keeping be inspected prior to approval of the first PTA.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2015, 11:06 pm

brett1868 wrote:Not yet but I did order a another safe last week, A Lokaway LCH2 250Kg monster for Cat A, B, C & H and I'll get to work filling it once it arrives :) Admittedly the current minimum requirements I think are a bit on the weak side of security and I'd also make it mandatory that safe keeping be inspected prior to approval of the first PTA.

Nice safe you have on order 8-)

I too have recently upgraded to a pretty looking fire resistant Spika safe.

I totally agree with you on the flimsy storage requirements currently in place , nothing quite says secure like a single steel locker. :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Jul 2015, 12:46 am

Wait... I seem to have missed this.

Is this NSW only? And is it just aligning storage requirements to WA? (not such a bad thing, at least you know when you buy a safe it is actually safe)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 13 Jul 2015, 10:35 am

In the near term I only see such changes as a re-classification by the Minister/C.Commish of the lever shotties....
Anything such as across the board changes I suspect will wait until later this year or next year when the states stasi minister have their love-in...

Anything else is rumor (including this) until the a minister or police issue a press release.... giving us the courtesy of advice that our guns have been made 'illegal' overnight.... :thumbsdown:

Has a snippet of something been located somewhere??
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by buckle » 13 Jul 2015, 10:41 am

I missed this one too, what's the story? :unknown:
buckle
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Elmer » 13 Jul 2015, 12:01 pm

Its ok fellas...the guv reckons responsible law abiding firearm owners have nothing to fear ..and that's good enough for me :sarcasm: :clap:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Jul 2015, 1:09 pm

I'm starting to get a real uneasy feeling...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Norton » 13 Jul 2015, 2:16 pm

buckle wrote:I missed this one too, what's the story? :unknown:

If I'm not mistaken on_one_wheel is referring to South Australia here.

Lots of talk of new laws, "cracking down" on crime etc.

Just waiting to see how much LAFO get screwed as part of the deal if/when something changes.

It's mostly quotes in the media and talk for now though, there still haven't been any actual changes AFAIK.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 13 Jul 2015, 5:14 pm

I believe this is the bad news you guys were waiting for.
Bye bye Adlers.....

http://ssaasa.org.au/national-agreement ... -shotguns/
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 13 Jul 2015, 5:28 pm

Nope. Simply redesign the mag tube to hold 5 rounds not 7. Cat B only, done.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by 1290 » 13 Jul 2015, 5:29 pm

STOP PRESS – 13/7/2015

SSAA understands that a recent meeting of Firearms Registry officers agreed in principle that lever action shotguns will be treated as follows:–

5 shot magazine and under Cat B
More than 5 shot magazine Cat D
No changes to any other firearm classifications was indicated.

It will be up to individual States as to how this is implemented.

SSAA has been involved at National and State level in most jurisdictions to discuss and provide our member’s concerns regarding this issue.

As the position becomes clearer, we will advise accordingly.

David Handyside,

President,

SSAA(SA)inc.

This is just so wrong..... where to begin....Is this serious? Registry officers deciding??? Where's the consultation!
CAN they decide and effectively change the Firearme regs on a whim???

Yep. As I thought, straight to cat D, Adler not even for primary producers. how effing ridiculous.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 13 Jul 2015, 5:33 pm

wow so melodramatic

Mr NIOA, please chop 6" off the mag tube.
Thank you.
Last edited by KWhorenet on 13 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by 1290 » 13 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

A plug in the tube wont do, a mod to the tube will turn the $800 shotty into a 800+++ shotty

But I think these pen pushing essowbees have outdone themselves this time.....follow my logic;

It was a super fast deadly high rate of fire that was about to unleash death and destruction on the community......If however its mag is reduced to 5 all is well, she'll be right.

Therefore;

All those actual semi-auto shotguns WITH 5 mag capacity should be correspondingly safe and also moved to CAT B!

Has NIOA commented yet?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 13 Jul 2015, 5:36 pm

"Therefore; All those actual semi-auto shotguns WITH 5 mag capacity should be correspondingly safe and also moved to CAT B!"

Now that actually makes sense. This should be fired straight to all and sundry to consider the can of worms they have opened by considering the change and precedence they are setting.

I don't think the adler will be dearer. NIOA wont sell fcuk all unless it is saleable to the masses. So who would lose out if they don't bend a little to make it accessible ?

6" will be removed. Spring shortened. Barrel band moved. How many have been assembled? Bugger all. How hard to lop the tubes? Not very.
Simple.

What's the next topic to thrash out.
Last edited by KWhorenet on 13 Jul 2015, 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by FuzzyM » 13 Jul 2015, 5:38 pm

That's not the point KWhorenet, what if they go after 303's next? Scary ten shots of centerfire in those.....
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 13 Jul 2015, 5:42 pm

I think everyone should remove their tin foil hats and come out of their rubber lined bunkers.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by FuzzyM » 13 Jul 2015, 6:24 pm

Why? It keeps the heat in, yet is so light to wear!
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 13 Jul 2015, 7:28 pm

I tell you what when the antis disarmament agenda comes tumbling down like a house of cards and all their anti gun efforts to disarm us get disassembled into something allot fairer, Safer, effective and financially less demanding for everyone (tax payers included) they are going to feel pretty defeated lol.

and it will happen...not a question of if, its a question of when.

on a side note: sometimes I feel like people are trying to get this country into debt and to these people making up reasons to spend money its not a question of will it cost to much its a question of does it cost enough and will it keep costing allot lol.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 13 Jul 2015, 7:45 pm

KWhorenet wrote:wow so melodramatic

Mr NIOA, please chop 6" off the mag tube.
Thank you.

Exactly mate, chop 6" off and since there's no barrel band up the noisy end it'll be a quick fix. Another option would be to pin and weld a 3" blank in the front of the tube so it still maintains its look. The loss of 2 round capacity won't mean much to many potential purchasers as you can always top the mag off between shots if you want. I'll still keep my order in with the dealer, the loss of 2 rounds capacity is fine by me.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Jul 2015, 9:45 pm

I have my name down for one of these with my lgs, too. I was originally going for an over under, but a lever is safer for my intended use (to carry across my back as insurance while i'm carrying a smaller caliber rifle) so the reductiont o five rounds is fine for me...

BUT!

We have to justify every little thing we buy and do, where's the justification in moving this to cat d? There are established laws that are working. What isn't working is customs leaking black market firearms into the country.

Someone tries to sell an illegal firearm and gets a $100 fine. If your missus happens to know where your safe keys are and opens it to help the nice policeman do his job you cop a larger fine than that and you can risk your license and thousands of dollars for the most trivial things.

Whatever happened to common sense and natural justice?

Makes me sick.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Jul 2015, 1:41 am

Wonder if today tonight, ACA, 60 minutes or the breakfast shows would like to run an unbiased coverage on the plight of the LAFO being victimised and gauged $$$ ?

Or aren't we as news worthy as a cat stuck in a storm water pipe, Coles vs Aldi vs Woolies prices, some loser whining about some loser, some bogan dole bludger vs the housing commission and or vs some career junkies, some sport jock acts like a normal person... OMFG SHOCK HORROR BREAKING NEWS !!!
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 14 Jul 2015, 3:43 pm

Can't fined Anny menshon of this on the ssaa or the ssaaqld sights , is this for SA only or nation wide
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 15 Jul 2015, 3:19 pm

bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 16 Jul 2015, 9:35 am

KWhorenet wrote:I think everyone should remove their tin foil hats and come out of their rubber lined bunkers.

Mine is lined with copper.

Keeps out the signals!

:mrgreen:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws