Legal differences in pre 1901 long arms

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Legal differences in pre 1901 long arms

Post by andym79 » 17 Oct 2015, 10:20 pm

Hi guys can't remember for sure but, from memory there is a difference between pre 1901 and post 1901 long arms is that the case, specifically in SA?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Legal differences in pre 1901 long arms

Post by sarki » 19 Oct 2015, 2:21 pm

The idea is that if it's pre-1900 ammunition for it has long since become unavailable.

If there is no ammo you can't shoot it, if you can't shoot it it isn't a firearm.

That's the rule of thumb.

If it is pre-1900 and ammo is still available or can be loaded with black powder (or fired however you do it) then the pre-1900 stuff doesn't apply and it has to be licensed and registered like any other gun.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 19 Oct 2015, 3:33 pm

If you want to shoot it.....must be registered and licensed for that purpose, doesnt matter about manufacture date...stucks of perfectly functional and safe rifles from pre-1900...

IF the rifle is of an obsolete chambering and pre 1900/'antique'... (and I recall VICPOL had a list of what they consider obsolete, which included damn near everything you could or couldnt imagine....old BP rounds no-one has heard of since or ever etc etc....) then it can be licensed as a collection piece and can NOT be used. As in NOT fired.... :thumbsdown: I dont think it has to be de-activated though

edit to add; in the real world 'obsolete' means not in commercial manufacture.....not to the (fun)Police.

It is almost comical, registration of these old firearms, that although could injure someone, have probably not been used in the commissioning of a crime since about .....never..well maybe the mid 1800's...but all the rego and other laws apply... :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Rocker » 20 Oct 2015, 3:08 pm

Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Joom » 22 Oct 2015, 10:01 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:If you want to shoot it.....

Dunno if I would if it's 100+ years old :|

You'd wanna know the history and that it was well cared for before you pulled the trigger I'd say.
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Oct 2015, 10:39 am

Joom wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:If you want to shoot it.....

Dunno if I would if it's 100+ years old :|

You'd wanna know the history and that it was well cared for before you pulled the trigger I'd say.

I have a BSA MLE, at 112years old... I'm not concerned at all about pulling the trigger :thumbsup:
But yes, you need to be sure its in safe working condition, just like a 10yo rifle....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Noisydad » 22 Oct 2015, 11:03 am

One of our club members uses a single barrel 10g muzzle loading shotgun (in our 5 clay )event that was built in 1847!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Brute » 26 Oct 2015, 9:41 am

Sounds smokey :lol:
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria