Interstate rebarrel

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Interstate rebarrel

Post by andym79 » 26 Oct 2015, 7:40 pm

Hi guys what is the process/ options for sending a rifle for rebarrelling to a an interstate gunsmith and back again?

I assume it must be sent from a local dealer to the gunsmith and back through that dealer?
If so how does that work without tranferring that rifle and having to reapply for a PTA to get it back?
If you were to be going interstate can you take the rifle personally to the gunsmith?

Advise please has someone done this?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Interstate rebarrel

Post by brett1868 » 27 Oct 2015, 12:24 am

What states are involved as the process varies. I live in NSW and if I were to get a Vic gunsmith to barrel and chamber a rifle registered in my name then it would have to go via a licensed dealer. Dealer issues you with a form stating that they are in possession of the firearm, they ship it to the gunsmith for the work who then ships it back to the dealer. You bring the form back in and pick up the rifle, gets a bit more complicated if you swap calibre's as the local gun shop would have to send an amendment to the registry to update the calibre.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 27 Oct 2015, 6:26 am

brett1868 wrote:What states are involved as the process varies. I live in NSW and if I were to get a Vic gunsmith to barrel and chamber a rifle registered in my name then it would have to go via a licensed dealer. Dealer issues you with a form stating that they are in possession of the firearm, they ship it to the gunsmith for the work who then ships it back to the dealer. You bring the form back in and pick up the rifle, gets a bit more complicated if you swap calibre's as the local gun shop would have to send an amendment to the registry to update the calibre.

Well funny you say that, the main purpose of sending from SA to QLD was that the smith has the odd reamer to suit the chamber I am looking for, and so the calibre would be changed.

Does anyone know specifics of send from Sa to QLD and return?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 27 Oct 2015, 6:31 am

Shouldn't be a big issue for cost or time, as long as you have a good, co-operative LGS and the QLD smith is good and reliable.

What are you wanting to chamber? (just being a sticky beak)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by andym79 » 27 Oct 2015, 8:41 am

I haven't decided 100% but either a 219 zipper or 25-35! I know the smith in QLD has both reamers. A call around smiths in the Adelaide area once I have decided for sure which of the two I am going for could make it easier, but only if they have the reamer!

What Smiths are there in the Adelaide area?

Sprinter
SB
GFJ
ICE.

I will also need to source a barrel blank (the only two smiths I know of and there are probably more who make their own barrels are Sprinter SA and Swan of QLD are their any others?).
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Oct 2015, 10:29 am

brett1868 wrote:What states are involved as the process varies. I live in NSW and if I were to get a Vic gunsmith to barrel and chamber a rifle registered in my name then it would have to go via a licensed dealer. Dealer issues you with a form stating that they are in possession of the firearm, they ship it to the gunsmith for the work who then ships it back to the dealer. You bring the form back in and pick up the rifle, gets a bit more complicated if you swap calibre's as the local gun shop would have to send an amendment to the registry to update the calibre.

" Firearms Registry
Please be advised that Brett's .22 registration #4790642 has now be modified and re chambered as a . 50 cal BMG
Thank you
Shady Firearms "
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Oct 2015, 10:34 am

andym79 wrote:I haven't decided 100% but either a 219 zipper or 25-35! I know the smith in QLD has both reamers. A call around smiths in the Adelaide area once I have decided for sure which of the two I am going for could make it easier, but only if they have the reamer!

What Smiths are there in the Adelaide area?

Sprinter
SB
GFJ
ICE.

I will also need to source a barrel blank (the only two smiths I know of and there are probably more who make their own barrels are Sprinter SA and Swan of QLD are their any others?).

I use Keith Sprinter , initially because he is just down the road from me but I soon found out that his reputation is second to none.
He is semi retired but his workmanship is well worth the wait if he is bussy .
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 27 Oct 2015, 11:09 am

on_one_wheel wrote:

" Firearms Registry
Please be advised that Brett's .22 registration #4790642 has now be modified and re chambered as a . 50 cal BMG
Thank you
Shady Firearms "

Just out of interest try googling that rego number ????////
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Oct 2015, 3:47 pm

I can't beleve I just Googled that random number lol, I got camera lenses and a picture of a bmw.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-10-27-16-13-28.png
Screenshot_2015-10-27-16-13-28.png (680.89 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 27 Oct 2015, 9:09 pm

I'm sorry you guys down under have to endure such foolishness. In the US, or at least Oklahoma. when we want to ship the gun out of state, for work, it's a case of package the gun in good container, take it to UPS or FEDEX, the US Postal Service can only move guns between licensed dealers, and ship it off, of course you can choose to use a dealer if you want. Here it doesn't matter if you do a caliber/cartridge change or not. In the US it's the receiver that matters and nothing else. Now mind you I'm in Oklahoma, so there might be situations, in other states, that require attention.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by vexesus » 28 Oct 2015, 2:17 pm

brett1868 wrote:What states are involved as the process varies. I live in NSW and if I were to get a Vic gunsmith to barrel and chamber a rifle registered in my name then it would have to go via a licensed dealer. Dealer issues you with a form stating that they are in possession of the firearm, they ship it to the gunsmith for the work who then ships it back to the dealer.

In states which recognize each others licenses (e.g. have a NSW you can come into VIC and shoot with your license) I assume you could drive it to the dealer yourself and skip the middle man process/cost?

Not that you'd make an interstate trip just for that but if you were going interstate anyway you could do two birds with one stone?
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws