Paper work to buy just an action.

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Paper work to buy just an action.

Post by andym79 » 20 Dec 2015, 8:15 am

Hi guys I am looking at just buying an action for a build project. What paperwork needs to be done to get hold of one? I assume as it is the part of the gun with the serial number that a PTA is required to obtain one?

If so what the hell do you fill out on your PTA when it asks about calibre etc?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Paper work to buy just an action.

Post by Chronos » 20 Dec 2015, 9:38 am

Just ask the dealer you're buying the action from.

In NSW you can register an action but then when you barrel is you need to apply for another PTA.

Unless your a gunsmith just get it sent direct to your smith, he'll barrel it and then you just register the barrelled action in the chosen caliber

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 20 Dec 2015, 10:07 am

Chronos, that makes a lot of sense, buy the action have it shipped to gunsmith, submit PTA and by the time the gunsmith has finished the police may have approved the PTA. The PTA also matches the calibre.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 25 Dec 2015, 2:27 pm

That's the funny thing in NSW you can buy an action without paper work same as a barrel but join them together and you need a pta
I rang far the other week to ask if i needed a pta for a barrel they said yes you do the gunsmith said no you don't and sent the barrel in the post took the firearm to to another gunsmith to change the barrel and some other work i wanted done.
He explained it as the only time you need a pta is if the part you're buying can fire a projectile ie: barreled action, you don't know what caliber it is if you buy an action could be a few different ones depends what you build it too when you attach the barrel .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 25 Dec 2015, 7:16 pm

andym79 wrote:Hi guys I am looking at just buying an action for a build project. What paperwork needs to be done to get hold of one? I assume as it is the part of the gun with the serial number that a PTA is required to obtain one?

If so what the hell do you fill out on your PTA when it asks about calibre etc?

You are better off talking with a Gunsmith / Dealer to find out what the process is in your own state. It is quite feasible that even your own Firearms Registry is not 100% sure on the rules as they spin their own version of what is correct and what is not.

As mentioned here, in NSW you can buy an Action without needing a PTA.

I spoke to the owner of Gunshop / Dealer a few years ago. He was importing a number of Actions from the USA and said if I wanted one he would simply send / post / or I could pick it up if I wanted one and I DID NOT require a PTA. The PTA was required once I had a Gunsmith fit a Barrel to the Action. The laws are difficult to understand so I'd suggest you tread carefully so as not to end up on the wrong side of the law.

If you are not happy with what you are told, I'd go with the safest method and have the Action delivered to your Gunsmith / Dealer and have them deal with the legalities required.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 25 Dec 2015, 8:52 pm

It's my understsnding in NSW you need a PTA to take possession of an action and it's then registered as an action only. Then once you add a barrel it must be registered as a barrelled action (rifle).

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 04 Jan 2016, 2:11 pm

Chronos wrote:It's my understsnding in NSW you need a PTA to take possession of an action and it's then registered as an action only. Then once you add a barrel it must be registered as a barrelled action (rifle).

That sounds more right to me.

There is no way in this hoplophobic country a loophole like buying a barrel and action separately could go unnoticed.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 21 Jan 2016, 10:57 am

Bark wrote:There is no way in this hoplophobic country a loophole like buying a barrel and action separately could go unnoticed.

"Hello I'd like an AR-15 upper and lower receiver on separate invoices please"

:lol:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusC » 09 Feb 2016, 9:55 am

That the US system :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 18 Feb 2016, 11:04 am

That'd work for me ;)
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to South Australian gun laws