Unusual PTA / Address situation

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Unusual PTA / Address situation

Post by Ghost » 26 Aug 2016, 3:48 am

Hey all, first post here and it has a bit of back story.

I'm currently deployed overseas with the ADF. Before leaving I went and paid for a rifle, filled out the PTA paperwork and left it with the shop to submit when I gave them the okay. The intent being to give them a couple of months notice so that I can walk in and pick it up as soon as I return.

Only problem is after I left, the Mrs decided she would like to pack the house up and move home for the remainder of the deployment. Returning a couple of months earlier than me (into a new house). I emailed the firearms SA branch informing them that I'm no longer at that address and would I would advise them on return of my new address, no problems there as I don't have any firearms registered to me and as such didn't have any stored at the old address.

I've just realised though that this might affect the PTA which I've already filled out. I can change my address via phone (presumably) after my wife moves into the new house, but then that will conflict with my details on the PTA when I ask the shop to submit it.

Also in that time between submitting the PTA and getting home. I obviously will not have had a chance to set the new safe up, so would hate for police to come and do a check of where the firearm is to be stored. Only to find that there isn't even a safe at that address yet.

Complex question, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate any advise.

Cheers.
Ghost
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Unusual PTA / Address situation

Post by AusTac » 26 Aug 2016, 12:04 pm

Id call the registry and just explain the situation, doesn't sound like theres many other options being such a odd situation.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Sep 2016, 7:40 pm

I had a similar situation, and a licensed firearms dealer (in Sth Aus) told me how to deal with it.

Absolutely ingenius, and it worked.

PM is on the way mate.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 03 Sep 2016, 11:31 am

My understanding is they inspect storage after you transfer your first gun into your name and when you move address.
Im still waiting to have a inspection but being ages, but owell when they come ill show them the safe.
If they come to inspect a safe while you're not there, just tell your wife to let them know you aren't home and they will have to come back another time as she can't have access to a safe anyway aless she is licenced with correct category.

By the way welcome to the forum
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ghost » 23 Nov 2016, 5:38 pm

Sorry for the late reply, internet can be a bit dodgy over here at times. Thanks for the help, I ended up taking bentaz's advise and changed my address to my unit address and getting the gun shop to do the same on the PTA.

The PTA was sent in by the gun shop about 5 weeks ago, being my first firearm I'm expecting it to take around 6 weeks which is fine because I'm still overseas. Only question I have now is will the PTA be sent back to the shop or to my address? I ask because tracking down mail once it's been given to my Battalion can be like finding a needle in a haystack!
Ghost
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Supporter » 30 Nov 2016, 12:43 pm

Ghost wrote:Also in that time between submitting the PTA and getting home. I obviously will not have had a chance to set the new safe up, so would hate for police to come and do a check of where the firearm is to be stored. Only to find that there isn't even a safe at that address yet.

I don't think any of that matters until you're actually storing the firearm and it's your possession, no?

Thinking of my local laws here, not there, so double check this, but until you actually have the firearm in your possession it's just words on paper. If you say you intend to store at address X but plans change, you were never in possession of a firearm, and didn't fail to update a storage address because you never had one to store.

Tell them the address as best you can now, take the firearm when you have the safe installed at the location.

If there is some last minute change in plans after you have the safe/firearm installed then at least you were up to date at the time, and have 14 days to update them of next address.

Unless I'm missing something?
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws