Collectors licence in SA?

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Collectors licence in SA?

Post by Download » 11 Oct 2016, 9:18 pm

Anyone got a collectors licence and a regular firearms licence in SA? Looking at the act and the forms it would seem to suggest you can't get a collectors licence if you have an existing firearms licence. Does anyone know?
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Collectors licence in SA?

Post by combo12 » 11 Oct 2016, 11:58 pm

Yes you can have both and many people do. Just be aware you are not allowed to shoot firearms held on a collectors licence, or at least not on any regular basis.
combo12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by tlia7 » 12 Oct 2016, 9:27 am

Yes you can have a separate collectors licence, you need to join a collectors club, there are instructors at clubs that can help you out in the application process. Have you checked out any clubs?
tlia7
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Spudman75 » 12 Oct 2016, 11:19 am

My understanding is that the collectors licence is severely restricted. i.e. you need to be a member of a special collectors club for 6 months and you can't shoot anything attached to the licence.

Another example of why these clubs will die out... too much red tape and restrictions.
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2016, 11:49 am

Spudman75 wrote:My understanding is that the collectors licence is severely restricted. i.e. you need to be a member of a special collectors club for 6 months and you can't shoot anything attached to the licence.

Another example of why these clubs will die out... too much red tape and restrictions.

My understanding here is that all it takes is an email to Firearms to transfer a firearm from your collector's licence to your firearms licence so you can then shoot it?
I can't confirm it's correct (I don't have a collector's licence) but I remember when I read it that there didn't seem to be any actual reason to own any firearms on a collector's licence if you already have a firearms licence.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 12 Oct 2016, 2:39 pm

You can collect firearms that can't be held on a Cat AB license. It's a time
Consuming process that requires commitment. It's how civilians in Australia are able to hold machine guns. Jeff Pannen (quite a well known collector and firearms dealer) has a browning M2 , fully functional. You can also hold pistols without the range attendance requirements. There is red tape and time restrictions specifically to stop people using it as a way to circumvent licensing regulations. It won't die out any time soon. Collecting by and large is an older mans game, one thing they usually have in spades is free time and cash.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to South Australian gun laws