C class purpose of use

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

C class purpose of use

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Apr 2017, 9:01 am

Hi,

I was speaking to a station manager in SA yesterday. They have a C class licence and firearm, but he was saying the purpose of use has recently been spilt between tasks such as (1) destroying livestock and (2) culling. Apparently they need each purpose listed separately. It wasn't the time or place to get into details. Anybody know anything about how this works and can enlighten me?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: C class purpose of use

Post by brouta » 19 Apr 2017, 12:10 pm

I don't have Cat C myself but that sounds right, it's very specific in what you are doing with it.

e.g. If it's for pest control on a farming property it's for control on that property specifically.

You can't go to your neighbours who has the same size property, same pests, same problem. You're licensed for that one particular task.

If you want to perform another task with it, that's a separate thing.

More or less the same across all states I'm pretty sure.
brouta
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Apr 2017, 1:47 pm

I get that the firearm could only be used on specified properties. A bit surprised that if the primary justification is primary production that it would delineate between destroying domestic stock and culling feral animals. The national code of practice for non commercial harvesting of kangaroos (culling) states that semi-automatic can't be used, so I don't think it's got anything to do with that.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Tripod » 19 Apr 2017, 7:34 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I get that the firearm could only be used on specified properties. A bit surprised that if the primary justification is primary production that it would delineate between destroying domestic stock and culling feral animals. The national code of practice for non commercial harvesting of kangaroos (culling) states that semi-automatic can't be used, so I don't think it's got anything to do with that.

Since Cat c is rimfire and shotgun it wouldn't be used for roo but would be great for bird and rabbit culling.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Download » 23 Apr 2017, 12:09 am

The roo shooting code specifically excludes the use of semi-autos for roo shooting anyway.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 24 Apr 2017, 12:02 am

My man got a semi auto .22 ruger 10/22 after the buyback because the farm manager wrote him a letter explaining that he needed fast follow up shots for fox control.It was a sheep farm and at lambing the foxes were destroying the lambs.He mainly did it just to do it as his son was deadly out to 400 metres with a 22/250.I used to go with them some times and take all the roos they shot for me.This young guy never missed at any distance and always brained them
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws