6 month waiting period for Cat H in SA

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

6 month waiting period for Cat H in SA

Post by Download » 28 Apr 2017, 10:37 pm

I'm trying to find where in the 2015 Firearms Act or the 2008 Firearms Regulations it says I must wait 6 months from granting my licences before I can purchase a handgun (and the subsequent handguns at 12 months rule). I've looked through both documents but i can't find anything that says that. I know it was in the old Firearms Act but I can't find it in the new one.

I'm asking because I previously had a handgun licence (but maintained my A and B licence) but ended up cancelling it because I was a penniless student who couldn't afford the various fees and the ammo (I'm still pretty penniless but not that bad). I'm trying to find out if there is any leeway in the Act to get the 6 month waiting period waived considering I previously completed it. I can't find the section in the Act though to check the wording.

Maybe they forgot to include it when they introduced the new Act? :roll:

Cheers.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: 6 month waiting period for Cat H in SA

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2017, 5:04 am

Download wrote:I'm trying to find where in the 2015 Firearms Act or the 2008 Firearms Regulations it says I must wait 6 months from granting my licences before I can purchase a handgun (and the subsequent handguns at 12 months rule). I've looked through both documents but i can't find anything that says that. I know it was in the old Firearms Act but I can't find it in the new one.

I'm asking because I previously had a handgun licence (but maintained my A and B licence) but ended up cancelling it because I was a penniless student who couldn't afford the various fees and the ammo (I'm still pretty penniless but not that bad). I'm trying to find out if there is any leeway in the Act to get the 6 month waiting period waived considering I previously completed it. I can't find the section in the Act though to check the wording.

Cheers.

Firearms Act 1977 15A (4b) (b)

Regarding waiving the waiting period, I doubt it. The waiting period is supposed to confirm your level of genuine interest in competition. Best bet would be to email SAPOL and ask.
Attachments
SA Firearms H-Class 6-month wait.JPG
SA Firearms H-Class 6-month wait.JPG (90.44 KiB) Viewed 6203 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 29 Apr 2017, 9:47 am

Licensed cancelled, therefore no license, therefore you have to start again.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Download » 29 Apr 2017, 11:36 am

bladeracer wrote:
Download wrote:I'm trying to find where in the 2015 Firearms Act or the 2008 Firearms Regulations it says I must wait 6 months from granting my licences before I can purchase a handgun (and the subsequent handguns at 12 months rule). I've looked through both documents but i can't find anything that says that. I know it was in the old Firearms Act but I can't find it in the new one.

Cheers.

Firearms Act 1977 15A (4b) (b)

Regarding waiving the waiting period, I doubt it. The waiting period is supposed to confirm your level of genuine interest in competition. Best bet would be to email SAPOL and ask.

Pretty certain the 1977 Act was replaced by the 2015 Act.

Still, the language there seems to give the Registrar the power to waive it.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2017, 4:13 pm

Download wrote:Pretty certain the 1977 Act was replaced by the 2015 Act.

Still, the language there seems to give the Registrar the power to waive it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that as I couldn't find anything stating the '77 Act was ceased.
The Registrar might but then you're going to have to convince a club to do the same.
I would just get the process started ASAP and then chase this up. You could well spend even longer trying to get a waiver.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 29 Apr 2017, 7:07 pm

Do you get a lic issued or just a letter permittibg joining a pistol club.
In QLD you just get a letter permitting you to join a pistol club and be on 6month probationary period to prove you are dedicated to it and then the club signs off saying you meet the requirements and you then apply for lic and have the 12 month 1 air pistol and 1 rimfire/centrefire rule.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Download » 30 Apr 2017, 12:37 am

Cryptic wrote:Do you get a lic issued or just a letter permittibg joining a pistol club.
In QLD you just get a letter permitting you to join a pistol club and be on 6month probationary period to prove you are dedicated to it and then the club signs off saying you meet the requirements and you then apply for lic and have the 12 month 1 air pistol and 1 rimfire/centrefire rule.

Nah, here in SA they give you your licence then make you wait.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Kimbocv8 » 02 May 2017, 5:32 pm

Yep,

Going through this myself currently. So far my journey has been.........

3 months waiting for 'Training Letter' - July > Oct 2016
+
3 months to do the 6 shoots required (IPSC shooting fortnightly and Christmas break) - Oct 2016 > Jan 2017
+
1 month licence waiting period - Jan > Feb 2017
+
6 month waiting period before purchasing first handgun - Mar > Sept 2017
+
1 month waiting period on PTA for first handgun (PTA cannot be submitted until 6 months is up) - Sept > Oct 2017

First put application in at start of July 2016.
I am currently 2 months into the 6 month waiting period and have been actively shooting at my club every fortnight since October last year.
I expect I will actually own my own handgun in October this year means almost 16 months from first application and 12 months from my first shoot.
Of course, then 6 months after that I may purchase more handguns........
Kimbocv8
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws