I have returned!

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: I have returned!

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2017, 7:02 am

minimum calibres .png
minimum calibres .png (288.41 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks:
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Sep 2017, 12:00 pm

jennageit wrote:
I'm going to be searching for a deer hunting rifle, but have decided to take a mates advice and try out a couple of different (suitable) calibre rifles that friends have to see which one I prefer. I really do have to watch my neck injury though, don't want anything with too big a kick so that it cripples me! lol

Oh, and I also have a mate who's going to teach me to shoot properly from the shoulder. I've got bench shooting nailed now :)

A muzzle brake will reduce recoil since you have a gunsmith next door no worries getting one fitted.
Attachments
muz2.jpg
muz2.jpg (178.18 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Baronvonrort
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Grizzle » 10 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

Jenna,
When we go next week, try my 30.06 and my Lee Enfield. Knowing your shoulder, I think both will give you a hard time
Marlin .22LR
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Grizzle
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm

"A muzzle brake will reduce recoil since you have a gunsmith next door no worries getting one fitted."

Probably a pretty good option as you hardly fire any shots deer hunting so the extra noise your exposed to isn't an issue.

Thinking about it the 7-08 could be the best option especially if you can reload. Recoil isn't too bad and legal for all species.
Some points: For most here perhaps basic but will list for the benefit of Jen

= LESS RECOIL
Heavier rifle
Less powder
Lighter bullet
Less velocity
Adding Muzzle brake

=LESS FELT RECOIL
Adding recoil pad
Standing instead of sitting
Lighter person shooting
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks:
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Sep 2017, 1:33 am

Hi there,
Im only new here, but for what its worth...
I pained for nearly a year deciding on a deer/all round carry rifle...

Ended up with a Tikka T3 lite in 7-08.
Found it a bit muzzle jumpy at first so swapped out for a T3x recoil pad.

Ive shot a few other .270's next to mine in heavier outfits & still find mine easier to shoot...more of a 'push' on the shoulder as compared with .270/30-06.
Its great to carry, & quick to point when in amongst a flurry of goats.

I would vouch for either .243 as Gwion mentioned, or the 7-08 as Oldbloke mentioned if you reload. (Win 308 brass is cheap & runs right through the dies-but be careful of thicker military brass if using .308)

Muzzle break on a lite 7-08 & a kid could carry & shoot it.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2017, 7:47 am

Recoil is fairly easy to estimate. Just look at the quantity of powder. There are, as I mention above a few other factors but that's the key one.
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 14 Sep 2017, 8:49 am

a gun that fits good will go a long way with felt recoil most guns are made to fit men with 13 1/2 inch length of pull
wrenchman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

United States of America

Post by Broom » 19 Sep 2017, 8:19 am

Oldbloke wrote:Recoil is fairly easy to estimate. Just look at the quantity of powder.

Yep, a couple of grain less in a load can make a surprising difference.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation