Been Keeping (too) Busy

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Been Keeping (too) Busy

Post by Baronvonrort » 13 Feb 2018, 10:36 pm

Looks good, be nice to wash down some BBQ Venison with your ales
Baronvonrort
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 14 Feb 2018, 5:13 am

Gwion wrote::lol:
One day work.....
Just get your timing right.
Work hard enough and you won't get cold :D

I wouldnt do one days work for you mate...im a tradesman so you'd well n truely get your 'board's worth' out of me...!!! :lol:

And my biggest problem workin in the cold is the sweat--jumper on & off all the time, & the bone chilling gust of wind that gets up your top when your covered in sweat...hate it...id rsther work in 38 deg out in the open...!

It would have to be summer for me...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 14 Feb 2018, 6:05 am

Yeah. I'm a landscaper by trade so i know what you mean. Working in cold wind sucks the bat but i hate misty rain worse. You get soaked to the bone without even realising it. :thumbsdown:

I don't do outdoor physical work in s**ty conditions. Got plenty of other work that fills those days in or i light the forge or i just have a rest day because there's no such thing as a weekend here!
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2018, 7:05 am

Did you sort the generator out mate? Hopefully it was just that bit of water in the fuel.
Gamerancher
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Feb 2018, 7:11 am

Yeah, i did GR. Thanks. I'm handy with a lot of things but mechanics isn't on that kit. Cleaned the tank. Apparently it needed more oil again so it's chewing through oil and we need to prioritise new one before weather/seasons deteriorate.
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 12:22 pm

Just finished figuring out how to (kind'a) use my new PC (went from MS to Mac for the first time).

Here are a few photos of other things that have been keeping me busy.....

beer chill.jpg
Enough pitching stone for now... time for product testing...
beer chill.jpg (578.14 KiB) Viewed 241 times

beer chill 02.jpg
Yep... that passes... maybe I should go down and "check the creek line fences"...
beer chill 02.jpg (484.67 KiB) Viewed 241 times

creek trout 43cm.jpg
Yep... fences are in order...
creek trout 43cm.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 241 times
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 12:24 pm

That Celtic Red Ale (7.7%) was still a bit cloudy and needed a bit more carbonation but is going gang busters now; about 5 weeks later...
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

The brewery is now in full swing.
I had quite some teething problems with vermin and settlement of the containers.
In the end, I had to underpin the front of the containers and jack them back to level. Anyway, there is a nice solid plinth now holding them square so they close and lock properly; as well as keeping out the vermin. It took a few tries to exclude mice from the wash out vent but I'm glad I did because I don't much fancy walking in there to a dirty big tiger snake fat on mice and keen not to be evicted.

Ventilation was also an issue, causing mould. Bitted some wirly birds and fine insect mess to exclude those goddamned mud wasps.

Fitting electicals out there was a more expensive excercise than I anticipated as well! :thumbs down:

brew day 01.jpg
The brewing side on brew day...
brew day 01.jpg (522.11 KiB) Viewed 240 times

brew day 02.jpg
190 odd litres of dark ale on the boil...
brew day 02.jpg (536.6 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Last edited by Gwion on 15 Feb 2018, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Daddybang » 15 Feb 2018, 12:44 pm

Good thing I already had a coldie in my hand or I'd be a dribbling mess.
And tassie trout is a bucket list dream!!!
Nice work!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 12:51 pm

Also updated my forge and got a few more knives knocked out and quite a few blades sitting there, waiting for final fit and finish...

new forge.jpg
I'll get around to putting a pictorial of the build up but this is my upgraded gas forge on it first vitrification firing. I put another layer of refractory on it and fired it again to fill the cracks and crevices.
new forge.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 238 times

Truffleman sheath.jpeg
this sheath has a belt clip on the reverse side and a static line to secure it where ever is comfortable for you or to quickly remove it if need be; like for a quick run into the shops...
Truffleman sheath.jpeg (523.68 KiB) Viewed 238 times

Truffleman knife.jpg
It was made as an EDC for a mate of mine who trains truffle dogs and hunts for truffles on local farms.
Truffleman knife.jpg (578.01 KiB) Viewed 238 times

antler puukko.jpg
My cousin liked the puukko I mede her so much, she wanted a second one for a friend of hers. I tend to leave evidence of forging and grinding on these kinds of pieces.
antler puukko.jpg (530.04 KiB) Viewed 238 times

antler puukko hamon.jpg
but I did manage to give it a proper Hamon, although I didn't etch it to bring it out...
antler puukko hamon.jpg (251.69 KiB) Viewed 238 times

antler puukko with sheath.jpg
Put an antler handle on it and knocked up a basic sheath for it... customer loves it so who am I to complain!??!
antler puukko with sheath.jpg (559.61 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 1:00 pm

I probably posted these two elsewhere at some stage but I like them so WTF....

They are a pair made from two ends of a farrier's rasp, vacuum stabilised Blackwood handles, brass pins and old rifle cartridges as lanyard tubes...

zombie slayer.jpg
Gave this one to a mate as part payment for helping me out in the paddocks with some fencing and moving materials around. He bags'd it ages ago but lost his job and couldn't afford it so I had some cash to hire machinery, instead I gave hime the cash to bring over his tractor as well as this knife and a ram lamb that he is yet to pick up...
zombie slayer.jpg (635.51 KiB) Viewed 237 times

chop chop.jpg
I love the look and feel of this one but it's not quite as effective at chopping as it's brother. Very agile knife that wants to move and slash in the hand...
chop chop.jpg (468.92 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2018, 1:01 pm

Daddybang wrote:Good thing I already had a coldie in my hand or I'd be a dribbling mess.
And tassie trout is a bucket list dream!!!
Nice work!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

hahah...
Nice one :thumbsup:
Gwion
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Mongrel » 15 Feb 2018, 2:38 pm

Love it mate....Hats off to you, i hope you drank that well deserved beer :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation