About storage safe

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

About storage safe

Post by pilotsignal » 23 May 2024, 6:36 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have a question to ask, coupe of years ago I bought my first rifle (I am in NSW) and I keep it in the locked garage ever since, inside the gun safe bolted to the floor.
For all these years cops never came to inspect my storage conditions. Is that something I should be worrried about?
I recall that I did ask a dealer at the time I bought my rifle whether I should notify police or anyone else about the purchase and I was told that when I receive the certificate this would be enough as cops would get that information anyway, thus I would be OK.
Is this right?
Thanks.
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: About storage safe

Post by bladeracer » 23 May 2024, 6:52 pm

pilotsignal wrote:Hi Everyone,
I have a question to ask, coupe of years ago I bought my first rifle (I am in NSW) and I keep it in the locked garage ever since, inside the gun safe bolted to the floor.
For all these years cops never came to inspect my storage conditions. Is that something I should be worrried about?
I recall that I did ask a dealer at the time I bought my rifle whether I should notify police or anyone else about the purchase and I was told that when I receive the certificate this would be enough as cops would get that information anyway, thus I would be OK.
Is this right?
Thanks.

It is your responsibility to ensure you comply with the secure storage regs. There is no requirement on Police to inspect that you are in compliance. You could ask them to come and inspect it if you're concerned but I'm sure they have more important things to be doing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 23 May 2024, 7:00 pm

Yeah Mate, they'll come,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, eventually,,,,,,,,,,, or not.
Don't lose any sleep over it in the meantime.
They've got all the information,,,,, (and probably more than you realise)

It depends on their workloads,,,, and perhaps individual cops.
I've had firearms since I was 14 yo,,,,,,,,, and now am past 70.
I had never ever been inspected till only two years ago.
Just prior to that when we got a NEW cop (small town) I actually asked him to come and inspect,,,,,, but he just smiled and said "Nah,, I don't like paperwork"

After he got transferred a couple years later, we got yet another new one, and Whammo,,,, I got inspected almost the next day.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pilotsignal » 24 May 2024, 6:05 pm

Thanks guys. One worries less in my life :-)
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by alexjones » 31 May 2024, 10:35 am

I can't speak for NSW but in QLD not even 2% of weapons act licence holders get inspected every year. According to the police website there is 203k licence holders and over 1 million weapons registered in QLD. I would say NSW would be very similar in its inspection rate as it is considered low priority. They already know who, what and where you are anyway.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 31 May 2024, 11:00 am

alexjones wrote:I can't speak for NSW but in QLD not even 2% of weapons act licence holders get inspected every year. According to the police website there is 203k licence holders and over 1 million weapons registered in QLD. I would say NSW would be very similar in its inspection rate as it is considered low priority. They already know who, what and where you are anyway.

I think you may on the right track here. Inside info from an "unamed police source" has informed me that the coppers at the local stations, regard safe inspection ie: contacting the licensed gun owner(s), trying to arrange an inspection time, checking off the firearms as per police records, checking the type of safe is correct and compiling same back at the shop, as a PITA. To be avoided where possible, hence, why in NSW it can be very trying in getting a safe inspection. It could be farmed out to accredited (whatever that means) non police persons. Food for thought maybe, just don't know. :!:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by alexjones » 31 May 2024, 2:38 pm

Bugman wrote:
alexjones wrote:I can't speak for NSW but in QLD not even 2% of weapons act licence holders get inspected every year. According to the police website there is 203k licence holders and over 1 million weapons registered in QLD. I would say NSW would be very similar in its inspection rate as it is considered low priority. They already know who, what and where you are anyway.

I think you may on the right track here. Inside info from an "unamed police source" has informed me that the coppers at the local stations, regard safe inspection ie: contacting the licensed gun owner(s), trying to arrange an inspection time, checking off the firearms as per police records, checking the type of safe is correct and compiling same back at the shop, as a PITA. To be avoided where possible, hence, why in NSW it can be very trying in getting a safe inspection. It could be farmed out to accredited (whatever that means) non police persons. Food for thought maybe, just don't know. :!:

Yeah it makes the most sense mate when you say it like that. The law allows them to check everyone's storage so they have the ability to do it when they want. However in practice they do not have enough resources. We have already been vetted with background checks and the constant fear of "I better comply or they will take my guns" keeps everybody following the law even if we don't agree with it. Reading so many posts on the forum about people worrying about is their storage sufficient because they want to follow the law when in practice the police doing the inspections do not really care so long as they can see you have made the attempt. So long as the safe is locked and the guns are not loaded and it is bolted(if pistol or under 150kg) they are happy.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation