The Poacher - Don't be that guy

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Wapiti » 02 Oct 2026, 9:04 pm

We have had dramas with poachers forever, it's just part of the fact that some humans are retarded and selfish and no matter what sport, interest or field you are involved in, there will be a percentage of these pointless life forms.
People who take from others, don't appreciate others work and just have no personal worth.
15 years or so ago, a young fella wanted to learn chainsaw sculpting so together we made an effigy of a poacher hanging from a tree from the stuff left over from paddock sawmill piles around the place on here. Came out pretty well, we even hung his arms and legs from lengths or 16mm booker rod and they swung in the breeze. We wanted to both have a comical shot at the poachers as well as make the d*ckheads think a little and consider themselves lucky we have a rule of law still operating and we wren't the law.
We clothed the dude in old hi-vis clothes, because most poachers we strike are working class men with gun licenses and legal firearms. People who normally call themselves "Law abiding gun owners" until temptation or frustration or as I call it, selfishness takes control and their real character shows through.

Eventually the clothes rotted off, and the dark grey timber faded and the effigy looked very scary. The spot it was hanging was just off the road, and the start of the property on an S bend causeway, where as you climb out of if you looked directly at the hanging dude. Underneath, on the tree, a piece of rusty corrugated iron had "Poacher" scrawled on it, deliberately rough for effect.
Eventually the whole thing rotted in the tree, legs first and feet fell off, adding to the frightening look.
A few people complained to the police, who came out and asked what it was all about. The stock squad blokes also reminded me that poachers are not to be hanged.
The people who complained where the city types who bought a thousand acres of rocks out here to move somewhere to starve their horses and generally whinge about everyone else, so nobody listened to them. The whole thing became a bit of a joke and the site ended up being called "hangman's corner" and this name has stuck when describing the area there.
P1.jpg
P1.jpg (690.91 KiB) Viewed 155 times

For a few years there was nothing and people lamented the hangman was in the past. One Halloween a few years ago in Bunnings there was this full-size skeleton with solar powered glowing red eyes, so through the checkout it went, out came some old thick rope and a new noose hauled him up. An old crappy sling and old junk 223 Weatherby Vanguard with a bent barrel went around his neck. Finally put to good use!
No "poacher" sign is needed now.
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (687.2 KiB) Viewed 155 times

The barrel wasn't long enough to wrap it around his neck, but oh well.

Now for all those who may go whacky-ape over this, remember the feelings of those who have to cop poachers frequently and how we feel about this, and also to remain the ability to have a sense of humout too.
"The only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
Aristotle.
Regards G,
AKA Dr. Doolittle
Wapiti
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2991
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2026, 4:39 am

:D :D :D good story , i like it . :thumbsup: i don't have a high opinion of poachers , and cutting fences is one of the worst sins IMHO :evil:

poachers bring hunters into poor repute with people who live and work bush , especially ones like me from the coast . poachers are selfish pr!cks with no morals or respect :thumbsdown:
bigrich
General
General
 
Posts: 6593
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by perentie » 03 Oct 2026, 5:06 am

What a great idea. We have them here too , not only poaching but stealing water pumps and anything else they can get their grubby mits on
Must look out for a skeleton (smiley)

Keith
perentie
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 399
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2026, 6:34 am

i like the signs that say "trespassers will be shot , survivors will be prosecuted" . not that i'm advocating for violence mind , just think it's dark humour that may make a grub think before they act ;)
bigrich
General
General
 
Posts: 6593
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Wapiti » 03 Oct 2026, 9:18 am

I can't remember which copper said it, it was said with a snide remark when others had called them over some roadrunning event and I was at the front gate with my dad who'd grown some trees from seed and wanted to plant them at the gate.
Two coppers pulled up in the typical Prado, the sergeant introduced some detective who was sitting next to him who just sat and stared us up and down with this disparaging look of superiority. My assumption.

On their way in on a visit, Dad (and mum, in their '80's) had just been told by this poacher and his offsider that they would knock him out if he didn't drive on, so he wasn't in a good mood to be brushed off. They'd stopped at this road creek crossing because a "pro" shooting Landcruiser ute was there. And those two were dressing a load of deer on the side of the road. The crossing is hidden quite well unless you are on the causeway, and it's where we hung the "hangman".
Dad challenged them and they had their knives and said to Dad that if he didn't put the phone away (to take a pic of them and the number plate) they'd hurt him. He did it anyway, said "I'm going to get my son and he will put you under the ground" and drove on here.
Unfortunately I was away from the house, by the time I got there the only sign was a pile of legs, heads and guts.
But I had the pics.

The sergeants saying to us, blah blah we waste our time coming here, takes 45 minutes to race down here for nothing each time we have other expectations on us from the town community, you guys are your own worst enemy as you have these animals they can see from the road so expect people to shoot them.
I said, you do your job maybe, that overtime you send everyone out to do in the speed cameras could be spent coming out here instead and making a presence and be a deterrent like police used to be before overtime had to bring in fine revenue more than it costs the overtime. (revenue raising)
The detective finally showed he could actually talk and he said
That figure in the tree isn't going to help your cause when you've taken the law into your own hands and are in court. It shows "intent".
Well aware of being recorded I said, It's a halloween spirit thing, I just haven't taken it down yet.
"The only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
Aristotle.
Regards G,
AKA Dr. Doolittle
Wapiti
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2991
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Wapiti » 03 Oct 2026, 10:22 am

perentie wrote:What a great idea. We have them here too , not only poaching but stealing water pumps and anything else they can get their grubby mits on
Must look out for a skeleton (smiley)

Keith


Mate this one went up October 2024, so near on 2 years ago now.
I didn't expect the May-in-Chyna Bunnings rubbish to last that long but wow, there you go.

Please note though, this is just a joke, and not at all meant to threaten as to what would happen to poachers. The law must be respected, as hopeless and anti-farmer as it is, we just have to realise that is our future as the country is allowed to be run by bureaucrats not decent people.
Any passers-by that see it as anything else must have some sense of guilt, or a lack of understanding.
"The only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
Aristotle.
Regards G,
AKA Dr. Doolittle
Wapiti
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2991
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by mchughcb » 03 Oct 2026, 10:57 am

I can never understand why you post about poachers , then it dawns on me, people can see your farm deer from the road.

I didn't think there was much money in deer farming compared to sheep or cows but what would I know.

I personally dont like hangings as a warning. Crucifixion will resonate better or gibletting.
User avatar
mchughcb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2385
Victoria

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Fester » 03 Oct 2026, 12:36 pm

A big pet stag was shot from the road the other year.
They took the head, and nothing else, must have considered it as some sort of trophy.

I asked a bloke what he did with the poachers on his small block. He was a very keen bow hunter who travelled the world hunting.
He replied that they leave with haste after he stalks in with the shotty.

I have met forest poachers leaving as I drive in before first light.
One time, they were still spotlighting from a forest road or track running parallel to me at about 200m away.
More often than not they are young locals from the area.
An old Sarge-type cop once said it's better they are out in the forests than on the farms.

They got off their ass and blitzed one area that must have got out of control a while back: the stock squad, or whatever they call themselves here. Mid North, NSW or Liverpool Valley, maybe.

How brazen would licenced shooters have to be to do it? A normal bloke would be s**ting his pants after taking a shot.
Next they will be using suppressors.
Fester
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 645
New South Wales

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Wapiti » 03 Oct 2026, 7:58 pm

mchughcb wrote:I can never understand why you post about poachers , then it dawns on me, people can see your farm deer from the road.

I didn't think there was much money in deer farming compared to sheep or cows but what would I know.

I personally dont like hangings as a warning. Crucifixion will resonate better or gibletting.


I completely understand why you don't understand, and that's no disrespect to you. It's the biggest reason for the divide between city and country, people all think what they think is the way.
Unless of course you are being a smart alec, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'd reckon plenty of people wouldn't see the point either, fair enough so I'll tell you. It's certainly not some strange eccentric lunatic throwing money away on some niche thing, as you may think.
It's purely business, and the joy of doing in business something you love to do.
Last edited by Wapiti on 04 Oct 2026, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
Aristotle.
Regards G,
AKA Dr. Doolittle
Wapiti
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2991
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Oct 2026, 8:14 pm

Fester wrote:A big pet stag was shot from the road the other year.
They took the head, and nothing else, must have considered it as some sort of trophy.

I asked a bloke what he did with the poachers on his small block. He was a very keen bow hunter who travelled the world hunting.
He replied that they leave with haste after he stalks in with the shotty.

I have met forest poachers leaving as I drive in before first light.
One time, they were still spotlighting from a forest road or track running parallel to me at about 200m away.
More often than not they are young locals from the area.
An old Sarge-type cop once said it's better they are out in the forests than on the farms.

They got off their ass and blitzed one area that must have got out of control a while back: the stock squad, or whatever they call themselves here. Mid North, NSW or Liverpool Valley, maybe.

How brazen would licenced shooters have to be to do it? A normal bloke would be s**ting his pants after taking a shot.
Next they will be using suppressors.

On one particular property that I shoot for, I have many times caught poachers in the act after opening (previously NON padlocked gates) and driving in, and spotlighting amongst the cattle and sheep.
As I am usually parked up in between trees, bushes etc and sometimes even with a nylon camo sheet (made to cover the entire vehicle) in my quest for shooting dogs,,,, I am pretty much out of sight.
I carry with me a green Laser that is mounted on a small tripod that i set up, aimed at a pig, dog, or cat that I've shot in thick cover so I can then wander out and find it with ease.

I have discovered that when the poachers back window is facing me, a quick turn on, turn off, of the laser through the back window lights up the entire interior in a bright green glow.
Considering they think they are the only ones out there,,, it has an amazing effect, and they tend to leave in quite a rush.
They usually don't even stop to shut the gate after getting back on the road.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
And,,,,It's been proven,,,,, the most trustworthy females in my entire life were all canines.
User avatar
Die Judicii
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 4397
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by mchughcb » 03 Oct 2026, 10:22 pm

Wapiti wrote:
mchughcb wrote:I can never understand why you post about poachers , then it dawns on me, people can see your farm deer from the road.

I didn't think there was much money in deer farming compared to sheep or cows but what would I know.

I personally dont like hangings as a warning. Crucifixion will resonate better or gibletting.


I completely understand why you don't understand, and that's no disrespect to you. It's the biggest reason for the divide between city and country, people all think what they think is the way.
Unless of course you are being a smart alec, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'd reckon plenty of people wouldn't see the point either, fair enough so I'll tell you. It's certainly not some strange eccentric lunatic throwing money away on some niche thing, as you may think.
It's purely business, and the joy of doing in business something you love to do.

On seeing any animals from the road over someone's fence, what a strange comment. It doesn't matter whether you spend 100's of 1000's of $$$ doing internal fencing so the dregs of humanity can't see your stock. Nobody should have to, anyway. Anyone who thinks it's Ok to shoot someone elses stock, or into someone elses place, really deserves pancreatic cancer and a death screaming in an intubated palliative care ward.

None of my exclusive animals are visible from the road, so that comment doesn't wash as a shot at me anyway, or someone else's attempt at a sledge.
There are feral deer everywhere here, my place too, just mixing with the cattle. As they are next door, the place up the road, and everywhere else here.
None of us wants "law abiding license firearm owners" shooting over their fences, and also labelling all the good folk like the hunters on this forum for example as criminals too. Somone who can't see that was dropped at birth.

A bloke can breed cattle or sheep, and play the up and down game of the markets and anyone who farms knows that there is almost no point anymore.
The average bloke struggles to break even.
We play a few tricks doing that and separate ourselves from the everyday markets by running a stud, but even that's pushing sh*t up hill with a pointed stick in my eyes

I'll explain why some people breed deer, it's for the people with the money that want to pay for them. And there are more people with too much money than there are deer, lined up to pay.
Not for the average juvenile inbred stuff in the Bris valley, the 4/5's, 5/5's or even Royals, they pay for access stuff bred or trucked in by the people eager to tell you how fortunate you are to be standing in front of them.
I breed deer for quality, and breeds nobody else has unless they spend the price of a new Landcruiser to shoot in NZ. And as we are involved with that also, believe that there are more that want to and are flashing the cash, than there are opportunities.
And I can tell you, there are more people here waiting to have a hunt at a 16, 18, 20pt Red stag than there are buyers for a pedigree $20-30K bull. They just don't want the stag, they want a hunt, a camp, a guide and a good time. An animal
And Wapiti, in SE Qld? Name your price, there are people and a hunting club already lined up here that make pedigree cattle bulls look like they are worth nothing.
So rather than fight the cattle market, I breed animals that people fight to be allowed to hunt, and do not blink an eye at the price.
We also breed the pedigree cattle too, it fills the legitimacy of the business.

Most people breed sheep, cattle, maybe even goats, all the same old boring stuff. Some actually make money.
We breed something else, it's great fun, bugger all people do and the market doesn't dictate the price paid for the struggles of the average farmer.
F**k that.
These animals have buyers virtually outbidding each other for them. And those who don't like that idea, or may say, I'll never do that, or I'll never pay someone to hunt whatever, they don't make any difference at all. Good on them, they do them.
Maybe that's a good enough explanation. Growing something for a market that's bigger than the stock numbers ever bred.


Im having trouble following your business model. You breed deer to release for other people to shoot? On your place or someone elses?
User avatar
mchughcb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2385
Victoria

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Fester » 03 Oct 2026, 10:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Fester wrote:A big pet stag was shot from the road the other year.
They took the head, and nothing else, must have considered it as some sort of trophy.

I asked a bloke what he did with the poachers on his small block. He was a very keen bow hunter who travelled the world hunting.
He replied that they leave with haste after he stalks in with the shotty.

I have met forest poachers leaving as I drive in before first light.
One time, they were still spotlighting from a forest road or track running parallel to me at about 200m away.
More often than not they are young locals from the area.
An old Sarge-type cop once said it's better they are out in the forests than on the farms.

They got off their ass and blitzed one area that must have got out of control a while back: the stock squad, or whatever they call themselves here. Mid North, NSW or Liverpool Valley, maybe.

How brazen would licenced shooters have to be to do it? A normal bloke would be s**ting his pants after taking a shot.
Next they will be using suppressors.

On one particular property that I shoot for, I have many times caught poachers in the act after opening (previously NON padlocked gates) and driving in, and spotlighting amongst the cattle and sheep.
As I am usually parked up in between trees, bushes etc and sometimes even with a nylon camo sheet (made to cover the entire vehicle) in my quest for shooting dogs,,,, I am pretty much out of sight.
I carry with me a green Laser that is mounted on a small tripod that i set up, aimed at a pig, dog, or cat that I've shot in thick cover so I can then wander out and find it with ease.

I have discovered that when the poachers back window is facing me, a quick turn on, turn off, of the laser through the back window lights up the entire interior in a bright green glow.
Considering they think they are the only ones out there,,, it has an amazing effect, and they tend to leave in quite a rush.
They usually don't even stop to shut the gate after getting back on the road.


I can near smell the brown stuff leaking in their pants from here.
Sounds like a good system for finding shot ferals and scaring the 2 legged ones off.

Poaching seems to be a huge problem everywhere now,
Can only get worse with the new breed young hunters not wanting to do the long deer hunting journey.
They just want to shoot a trophy the first time out and post for likes or whatever they seem to want.
Every day time deer stalker now pulls the thermal out before doing anything else.
Fester
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 645
New South Wales

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Damo300 » 04 Oct 2026, 6:04 am

Qld needs public land hunting now!
No ifs,buts or maybes.

Will save you some headaches wapiti, and will give qlders the opportunity to hunt within a reasonable drive from their house, and not target George's property that has 12 point stags running around in orgies with 20 does each.

I see it as a catch 22 atm.
Sure, trespass on someone's property is not on. I am all against trespass and believe humans that do it are scumbags. Public land poaching, go for it as far as I am concerned.

Just because some obese woman in parliament says you can't....to hell with her imo. She has, and will have, no first hand experience in the wild, ever.

I'm also against farmers (not saying you wapiti) protecting wild deer because "the wife likes to feed them, or the kids named one bambi", and having herd's of these things running around, while jimmy on next doors farm has to pay for a contractor to come in and deal with said pests because he invited alcoholics out to shoot up his farm and in the process, shot his prized stud.
One property feeding them up, one knocking them down.
This is happening, even in the areas surrounding the public land that I hunt. I've spoken to the farmers personally on both sides.
Ive even had farmers try to tell me they own land that they clearly do not, and trying to block a clear roadway that passes through that area of land.
That's illegal, and I do notify the local authorities about these actions.


I'm happy to help farmers out, as I have my contractors accreditation and partake in farmer assist programmes (not so much lately). However, there'll be some clown farmer in the area that won't raise a barrel to these pests, so all my hard work is just wasting time.
Shooting fish in a barrel is easy. Happy to help clean up a block, but the owner gets involved too, otherwise I'll hand over an invoice at the end.

I'm all for punishing trespassing armed thugs.
Take their gear.
Remove their firearms license if they have one. Record for life.
But I also feel that perhaps some land owners need a good shake up too, and appropriate penalties to large land holders that if they're found to be "harbouring/protecting" pests, deer in particular , because I've never struck one protecting pigs, dogs or foxes, the gates always open to clear out those pests, then they can cop the costs of contractors and pest mitigation, as well as environmental penalties from their actions.

It's tough.
Noone should be entering anyone else land without permission, but if your neighbours are the type that protects these animals, then you've got more than just a poaching issue.

People act when monetary fines are handed down.
Damo300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 189
Queensland

Re: The Poacher - Don't be that guy

Post by Wapiti » 04 Oct 2026, 8:58 am

Again, and interesting peek into the views of some, and not just views but ethics.

Point is, stepping over the line and shooting into another persons place is illegal, immoral and has absolutely no excuse.
It's either OK, or it's not. No excuses from people who have no skin in the game.
Doesn't matter whether a landowner has different views that you or not on what's on his place, or what your personal views are. Or what his neighbours think.

It's no wonder that when someone blows in to the area there's suspicion, because as always it's the wait to see whether what comes out of the mouth is backed up by either respect or disrespect. That's unfortunate because the people who would never have the right to decide what others are doing with their land judge and will even suggest that it's a reason trespass and illegal shooting is happening and actually suggest understandable.
Disrespect also puts more nails in the coffin of the recreational shooter, and deservedly, but the good guys suffer.
"The only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
Aristotle.
Regards G,
AKA Dr. Doolittle
Wapiti
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2991
Queensland


Back to top
 
Return to Off topic - General conversation