My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: My Last Roll...a thread about survival...

Post by trekin » 21 Mar 2020, 12:22 pm

wanneroo wrote:There is now one case of "the thing" in the next county over about an hour away. The person is now isolated at home.

Went out today, everything is chilled out, which this is the mountains and small town life, so it's typical. Went to the Dollar General, got a few things and then went to one of the local supermarkets. If you squinted your eyes, most stuff looked as normal, a few parts of the store a little lacking, the cookies all ransacked and a few other spots, beef a little dried up but tons of chicken, pork, bacon, etc. I came around the corner to the paper aisle and spied like a sniper about 6 packs of Cottonelle toilet paper with six big rolls each, limit of 2, so I grabbed them to add to the pile as I think I might be staying in for a while. Store was busy enough, everyone polite, a lot of the old folks seemed at peace with everything.

All the charts point to another Great Depression and I guess one good thing is we are headed into summer and this state is a major food producer. Crops are already getting planted, chickens are laying eggs, cows always need milking and we have sort of a micro industry locally with lots of small farms, orchards, dairy farms, hog and cow farms, etc. I've got a dozen deer in the backyard, I can get a hog from a family friend, I've got 50 apple trees, maple trees for tapping for syrup, a mile of blackberry and raspberries, etc. If things are pretty grim I'll need to be looking at using summer to prepare for winter.

Stay frosty mate. We"re heading into winter, which on the Highlands of central QLD means warm days, cold nights but on the up side, the humidity drops to 20% or lower, which is supposed to be better for reducing the transmission of viruses.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 21 Mar 2020, 2:55 pm

trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 21 Mar 2020, 4:22 pm

Its all gone back to normal where I live in perth.It was a bit strange though
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Mar 2020, 5:25 pm

Ive got it...!!

Im gonna shoot bunny's, tan the skins, & sell em as re-usable but wipes...

Just peg up on the clothes line & hose off...

Soft as the softest of toilet paper, offering an added dimension to the term "saving the environment"...

Shoot, eat, & mop up...all with the one carcass...Now thats value adding if ever there was...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 21 Mar 2020, 5:41 pm

did my bit to increase the panic buying today, some bulk 22, and shotgun ammo... had a few lost newby customers staring at me with sadness in their eyes as wait times for new applicants look to be heading towards 6+ months
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

Eddie Murphy -
A bear and a rabbit were taking a dump in the woods.
The bear says to the rabbit, “do you ever have a problem with sh%t sticking to your fur” ?
Rabbit says “no, never.”
So the bear, wipes his ass with the rabbit.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 21 Mar 2020, 5:59 pm

duncan61 wrote:Its all gone back to normal where I live in perth.It was a bit strange though

What do you call normal? Looks like WA is matching QLD in the stupid department.
https://www.channelnews.com.au/breaking ... all-ports/
And one of your pollies was on the idiot box the other day telling people that now is the time to be with their families and get their affairs together, like he's telling everyone their gonna cark it.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 21 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up Tassie...!!

A bit of back-up & name dropping is sure to boost business... :clap:

Hows this for a product name...Fluffy Bunny Wipes..?

Or just 'fluffy bunnies'...?

I could die them pink & be sure to get the girls buying them with that name.... :) and Tasmanians... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Mar 2020, 9:49 pm

As i keep harping... anyone getting annoyed yet.

I agree Trekin. What's worse is people actually think if we stop Australia for 14 days, everyone stay indoors and away from each other we will be fine. Everyone will get it eventually, pour and simple as that.

This is a virus, it will keep coming back just like flu, just gotta hope the virus doesn't mutate like flu and is more like measles where one vaccine is good for life.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 22 Mar 2020, 1:52 am

Ziad wrote:As i keep harping... anyone getting annoyed yet.

I agree Trekin. What's worse is people actually think if we stop Australia for 14 days, everyone stay indoors and away from each other we will be fine. Everyone will get it eventually, pour and simple as that.

This is a virus, it will keep coming back just like flu, just gotta hope the virus doesn't mutate like flu and is more like measles where one vaccine is good for life.

I think the only realistic way to deal with it is extensive testing. Find who is positive and allow them to quarantine and get medical treatment. I think therapeutics with a variety of drugs, like the anti malaria and anti viral drugs, has shown promise. A vaccine I am not convinced that will make an impact any time soon, it's going to take them a while. It would appear this virus has already mutated.

Probably at this point the horse is out of the barn and not coming back so I know governments are trying to stop it, but they are just plugging their finger in a dam trying to hold back the weight of the water.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 22 Mar 2020, 8:47 am

The numbers of people dying are being reported every day, but i dont hear the age...

Anyone know for sure if its just the weak & elderly getting rolled, or if its random & anyone could tip over...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 22 Mar 2020, 8:59 am

Ziad wrote:As i keep harping... anyone getting annoyed yet.

am l right to believe you are saying that "Everyone will get it eventually, pour and simple as that. "
so everyone should just go and get it over and done with ziad :wtf:

sounds a bit like the Iranian Shias lick, kiss shrines in defiance of coronavirus outbreak
https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Irani ... eak-619428
it hasn't worked to well for them has it :roll: silly thing to do :crazy:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Mar 2020, 9:29 am

Stix wrote:The numbers of people dying are being reported every day, but i dont hear the age...

Anyone know for sure if its just the weak & elderly getting rolled, or if its random & anyone could tip over...?

it is killing mostly elderly people but that is because they have a compromised immune system because of there age and because of comorbid issues
the older you are the less your immune system works as good
however it is hitting anyone with compromised immune systems and or comorbid issues eg.. hypertension, heart disease, diabetes ect...

younger people have a fresh and stronger immune system although there have been cases of younger people who have caught this disease and died because of underlying health issues that they never knew existed

everyone is susceptible
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 22 Mar 2020, 9:48 am

Stix wrote:The numbers of people dying are being reported every day, but i dont hear the age...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... 4znAbQxbc0

Here are some stats for you from Italy. Average age of death 79.5 years. 48.5% had 3 or more preexisting health conditions. Only 0.8% had no other health conditions. 75% had high blood pressure, 35% had diabetes.

Here's another interesting article with tons of stats:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-f ... AtVUFSCsIE

If conditions are right according to medical advice I have received is that anyone could fall prey if the conditions are right. This virus attacks your mucous membranes so it's harder to cough up the crap out of your lungs, that could result in bacterial pneumonia and then death.

I think the main thing is keeping your bodies systems functioning well, good rest, hydration, sunlight for Vitamin D which has been shown in studies to reduce respiratory distress, good nutrition and exercise, especially lifting weights for men.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Mar 2020, 9:59 am

In italy 71% of fatalities are 51 and over.

Italy age.jpg
Italy age.jpg (177.16 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Mar 2020, 10:38 am

Well i just heard the PM say we're not allowed to go shooting or hunting.
He has cslled for a stop to ALL non-essential travel...
:lol:

Well i have to travel to collect leaves to wipe my arse...may as well take a gun with me & get a bunny ...

Are we really headed for a curfew/lockdown...? :shock:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 22 Mar 2020, 11:23 am

I wonder how many countries may be headed for martial law. In the US what would that look like? Would guns be taken away from the people? Would people push back against the government? Interesting times.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Blr243 » 22 Mar 2020, 12:49 pm

My non essential travel to hunt has placed me in isolation. Flies and mozzies are the only thing I talk to and I have more toilet paper than I have ever seen. It’s stashed here in the cupboard left over from my previous hunts
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 22 Mar 2020, 12:50 pm

I am on my way home to WA and just about to enter SA. I am expecting that we will be allowed to get home on the condition we self isolate for 14 days.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by trekin » 22 Mar 2020, 1:01 pm

An update for QLDers, from QLD Health website, as at yesterday 21 Mar 20, 29,867 people tested with 221 confirmed cases, 1,442 test still pending. 24hr totals have dropped slightly since a peak of 50 in one day, a couple of days ago.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 22 Mar 2020, 1:20 pm

So I was in a lgs that will remain un named,

Buying myself 3000 22lr, and 500 12g rounds while three Chinese guys stand next to the counter, the bloke serving me leaves me to sign for my ammo while he quickly asks them what they needed

"We are here to pick up our guns"

To which the clerk says "sure just show me your license with the guns approved and we are good to go"

"We don't have our licensed with us, so what now"

He then rolls his eyes and says "how long ago did you put in the application"

They say "we paid for our guns 3 days ago over the phone"

He then checks and sees that there are serviceability certificates waiting for them and promptly passes them over the counter to the three guys

"These are what you need to start your applications, that and a declaration with evidence of your gun safe and it being correctly installed"

So they reply "ok sell us a gun safe then"

He replied "no you can't have one between you all under the state laws you need one each and only you can access your specific safe"

"Ok sell us three safes then"

He replies "we are out of stock and backorders have already been sold ahead of time"...... "So I can sell you some in advance but you will likely be waiting upto 3 months"

"Well just give us the guns now then and we will follow All that up after"

He is getting annoyed now and bluntly just says "no"

At this point another store clerk approaches the counter and says "serious question you lot, do you have a club membership or someone willing to provide a Property letter for you to provide you with somewhere to hunt?"

They stare blankly,

"Because if you haven't either the chances of getting approved are next to none, and let me guess you've gone out and hoarded a whole garage full of supermarket items and now you're panicking because you realise there's nothing to stop someone taking it off you?"

They all did that face you pull when you're trying not to do a nervous swallow, they went as red as tomatoes, and stared at the floor awkwardly for a minute before just walking out.

In the meantime whilst they did that the original clerk finished my transaction and I walked out of the shop shaking my head in disbelief
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Mar 2020, 2:13 pm

Marksman... in reply to your question about my post.

I am saying is that everyone will probably end up getting it over the next few years. Let me explain, so tomorrow Australia has got it under control, no more cases. We will eventually need to open our borders, and then what, it just take someone from any country in the world that still has this virus to come here and the cycle starts again. Or worse is if say a person from country A travels to via Dubai or Singapore to country B. But infects an Australian returning from UK (which lets assume is virus free), it takes a week for the aussie to show symptoms until then hes infected other people.... and the cycle repeats.

Until a vaccine is made, this will continue, after the vaccine is made everyone will have a weak form of the virus in their bodies.

To develop heard immunity you need to have 60-70% of the population exposed to the virus either by direct exposure or vaccines. With a population of 25 Million, that is 15million coronavirus infected people in Australia. Those who bunker up now, let's say for 18 months... very likely will get coronavirus when they get back into community.... unless they get vaccinated.

Now look at what the politicians and health experts are saying, they want to flatten the curve. No one is saying they want to kill or completely stop the virus. So what does flatten the curve mean?

Look at Italy, the health system is stretched beyond the max, people are on beds in hospital corridors. but no space in ICU, in makeshift tents etc, thereby aren't enough ventilators.

So what the health authorities want to do is slow down the spread of the virus to enable our health system to be able to look after not only the covid patients but the normal everyday patients that it looks after. They don't want to have to come to a time where they are faced with a choice to take a 70 year old covid patient off a ventilator in ICU (and very likely sign their death cert) to put a 30 year old on who might or might not have coronavirus.

Edited for clarity..i hope
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Mar 2020, 3:07 pm

Well all heal is gonna break loose.. the toilet paper hoarders were right.... lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Mar 2020, 5:14 pm

LOL ziad
auto correct is on the blink again

l just came back from the local supermarket and praise the lord they have toilet paper
yes $10 a six pack yeeeha
and the young girl who served me although having gloves on has the flu :roll: and wiped her nose while handing me my change :wtf:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 22 Mar 2020, 5:22 pm

Its all gone back to normal where I live in perth.It was a bit strange though

What do you call normal? Looks like WA is matching QLD in the stupid department.
And one of your pollies was on the idiot box the other day telling people that now is the time to be with their families and get their affairs together, like he's telling everyone their gonna cark it.

Just went to Woolworths and its all back to normal
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Mar 2020, 5:22 pm

sungazer wrote:I wonder how many countries may be headed for martial law. In the US what would that look like? Would guns be taken away from the people? Would people push back against the government? Interesting times.

Hhmmm....itll be interesting to see where it all goes...

____
Well nothing is normal where im at...
And its good to see the price gouging isnt flowing on everywhere... :roll:

Last i bought a bag of carrots was a little over a week ago i & was, what id call, royally ripped off...!!!...payed $2 a 1 bag.
I say that, because you can always tell by the size of the carrots in the bag, how well the season is--small thin ones=high price...big thick ones=cheap as chips...

Now despite the season, i havent payed more than $1.29 for a kilo of carrots in as long as i can remember, easily over 2 years...i just got back from the supermarket & payed $3.00 for a bag, & that was on special, down from $3.70... :crazy: ...and i dont think ive ever seen carrots that big in a supermarket bag...ever...!!

Best i can tell, all the staples of vegetables (well that i normally buy) have increased in price suddenly...at a minimum, everything has at least doubled...

And...i still havent got any toilet paper...ill worry about that once ive got all my shooting consumables covered... :lol:

Looks like im digging over the vegie patch this week & ill have to take the trailer to the farm next visit & steal a load of manure from the farmer...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Mar 2020, 5:26 pm

marksman wrote:l just came back from the local supermarket and praise the lord they have toilet paper
yes $10 a six pack yeeeha
and the young girl who served me although having gloves on has the flu :roll: and wiped her nose while handing me my change :wtf:

Gees...unbelievable... :problem:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 22 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

duncan61 wrote:Its all gone back to normal where I live in perth.It was a bit strange though

Just went to Woolworths and its all back to normal

Bloody wasn't when I went upto the city yesterday, couldn't find toilet paper anywhere, no dunny rolls, no poo tickets, no nard wrappers. Went to 6 different shops including 2 spudsheds and an obscure Asian supermarket that seemed to miss all the hoarders all bar the Toilet paper...

Getting sick of it now, it's ridiculous
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 22 Mar 2020, 6:11 pm

Go to a material shop. Buy some cotton or linen in bulk and some scissors. ......I don’t own or have any association/ financial interest in such
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 Mar 2020, 6:43 pm

Blr243 wrote:Go to a material shop. Buy some cotton or linen in bulk and some scissors. ......I don’t own or have any association/ financial interest in such

dried rabbit skins is cheaper :thumbsup: :lol: and you get a cheap :drinks: feed
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation