Local gun shop closures with COVID shutdown

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: QLD Gun Stores ordered to close indefinitely due to COVI

Post by bigrich » 30 Mar 2020, 7:18 pm

Farmerpete wrote:I think I have found your problem- this is NOT the Septic States of America if you think that works look who has the most cases of covid in the world

SIT AND STAY a command my dog understands is being disobeyed because "my right to walk around can not be denied"- how dumb are they
I don't believe our government is infallible but I do believe that our p.m. is doing the best he can, you only have to watch a press conference to see how shattered that man is. He can't think of everything. When someone says we need to stop people gathering. He tries to do just that.
If people that hoard didn't exist I wholeheartedly believe gun shops would still be open. The only reason they closed was the higher than normal purchases that put them on the radar as a gathering place.
He can't stop people from eating but what is your genuine need for all that ammo when the range is shut not to mention where are you going to shoot it. and be reminded that being a prepper and believing in the apocalypse is NOT a genuine reason to own a firearm in Australia.

more good points mate ;) . i'm not happy about the gun shops being closed especially on the domestic violence grounds that state health have given :o realistically , my local range is closed, unessessary travel is not in the best interests of beating this virus , and a lot of country folk wouldn't be too happy about suburban based shooters like myself possibly bringing the virus out to them when i hunt either . this will pass , our grandparents endured world war five years or more . twice . i think sco-mo's not doing too bad ...... :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Mar 2020, 7:25 pm

Wow farmerpete age with all your points.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Shutdown COVID - Local Gun Shops

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Mar 2020, 7:34 pm

PorkEatingCrusader wrote:
Utopia. Otherwise known as Arizona, Tennessee or Texas!!!!!!!!

Unlike the others, i strongly suggest you hop on a plane or a cruise ship to America. Make sure you land at LAX, they will give you a good internal exam. then make your way to any state you want.

When you get sick you can rock up to any hospital you want to, but be aware they don't treat you unless you have insurance... and even then simple ailments can have a copay (complex ones 2-10k usd). Yep no free medical... but you get to shoot your ak47.

I don't get it, some people read up so much about America and it's systems that they forget they are not in America.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by PorkEatingCrusader » 30 Mar 2020, 7:59 pm

Come on farmerpete, where is your sense of ruggered individualism? We either die on our feet or we surrender on our knees. That old spirit the British had to sail the ocean by starlight and create the world we live in from the heathens. That ruggered spirit of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Look inside you mate, I know its there. Do not be a spirituality defeated human. This is all we have in life.

Oh and shooting on priviate land is a valid reason to own a firearm. And collection. Not that one should have to have a valid reason to spend their own money. But that is a question for another day.
PorkEatingCrusader
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Mar 2020, 8:17 pm

PorkEatingCrusader wrote:Come on farmerpete, where is your sense of ruggered individualism? We either die on our feet or we surrender on our knees. That old spirit the British had to sail the ocean by starlight and create the world we live in from the heathens. That ruggered spirit of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Look inside you mate, I know its there. Do not be a spirituality defeated human. This is all we have in life.

Oh and shooting on priviate land is a valid reason to own a firearm. And collection. Not that one should have to have a valid reason to spend their own money. But that is a question for another day.

i agree with your philosiphy and points of veiw as well PEC , but there's a fine line between proud and brave and being silly . please don't take that comment the wrong way , but i choose to assess the lie of the land so to speak , and pick my battles . unfortunately we are not america, having firearms is not a right etched in stone. it's a privelidge at the whim of authorities . i'll step up and have my free speech and opinions whenever i can, i've confronted local elected members over issues in the past , politely and intelligently . it's a rapidly changing world , and as a firearm owner i want to survive for as long as possible with my rights intact . which means sometimes we gotta take crap just in case there are some loose canons out there . i gotta admit, taking the reins in ya teeth , with a winchester in one hand and a colt in the other, and charging parliment house "rooster cogburn" style on horse back, does have a certain appeal :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 30 Mar 2020, 8:42 pm

Shooting on private land for hunting / feral pest eradication is a valid reason to own a gun but regardless of weather you have a property letter or not it's just not possible to go hunting with the lockdown restrictions currently in place if guys with a property letter turned up at my farm right now I'd revoke the damn letter in writing to both them and QLD weapons licensing.

While I believe in your philosophy the rum rebellion days are long gone.
I support castle laws
I believe self defense should be a legitimate reason to own a gun
But I also believe that at this time the people who need things for their jobs should have priority access.

Imagine you catch the virus (I don't wish this on anyone) but imagine you or a loved one caught it and none of the doctors could treat you because they didn't have a mask or gloves.

I implore all people reading this think twice about the effect of hoarding on other families BEFORE buying more than you and your family require.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 30 Mar 2020, 9:12 pm

Even a two week period of grace to complete transactions/purchases or any licence/pta that was already being processed, NOT new applications. That would also allow people to perhaps get some supplies that may help in the interim.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 30 Mar 2020, 9:53 pm

A good result here would be for firearms dealers to be able to resume business, predominantly through mail order but maybe with store visits restricted to individual appointments only.

The important thing is that they are not closed, money is coming in, staff stay in jobs, businesses survive and products are getting out to customers that need them.

For sports and target shooters, don't go to gun stores, in fact DON'T GO OUT OF THE HOUSE unless it's essential to your ability to survive.
Every time people move around the virus gets to spread, it everybody stayed home it would be just about gone in 2 weeks.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 31 Mar 2020, 12:31 am

That is one option. Or I could fight(politically) to make QLD great again.

A F150 and dodge challanger in every driveway and an AK in every home. That sounds like a place I could call home.[/quote]

Fair enough. I think any right thinking owner of an F150 should send a photo of themselves standing next to it to Greta Thunberg. A nice touch would be to explain you dared to do it just because you could. She has really motivated me to look at getting a V8 for my next car. Off topic I know. But I just love the F series Fords.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2020, 6:11 am

Victoria

Screenshot_20200331-070733_VicEmergency.jpg
Screenshot_20200331-070733_VicEmergency.jpg (310.03 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Mar 2020, 8:47 am

nice fallow pillow Blr :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Mar 2020, 8:47 am

nice fallow pillow Blr :thumbsup: :drinks:

l like it that much l have to say it twice :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 31 Mar 2020, 9:02 am

I really don't think you need to worry about farmers or police having enough shooting supplies. Farmers always have a spare of nearly everything they are ultimate preppers. You cant go running to town every time something breaks or you run out of something. They dont just have one box of loaded ammo in the cupboard.
Preppers are not the ones to blame about hording they have had stocks of stuff from well before this virus started. It is only the ones that were not prepared that went into panic buying and hording mode.
Do you think the army only has one days supply of ammo on hand and wait until a war is declared before they go out and place contracts for ammunition?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Permie » 31 Mar 2020, 9:08 am

Victorian shops shut this morning. My pta for two guns was due to clear TODAY. :silent:
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Permie » 31 Mar 2020, 9:11 am

Vic shops just closed this morning.
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Mar 2020, 9:17 am

Well it's official VIC have shut their gunshops as well
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2020, 9:20 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2020, 9:21 am

Permie wrote:Vic shops just closed this morning.

I just ph my LGS in Vic. Was still open!
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Victorian gun shops close for COVID-

Post by Permie » 31 Mar 2020, 9:21 am

Just heard,
Can’t post image,

https://www.facebook.com/sunbury.firear ... 14/?type=3

I’ve got my first two rifles due to clear today (after 28 days waiting), safe and ammo purchased and awaiting, so I am pretty pissed. Use is for deer and rabbits/pest control on my own private property.

This thread is to discuss Victorian gun shop closures and issues and hopefully RE-openings or otherwise availability to get ammunition or guns awaiting PTA’s like mine or otherwise.
This thread is NOT for the other general conspiracy theories and arguing that is in the other coved-19 threads.
Permie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Victorian gun shops close for COVID-

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 31 Mar 2020, 9:30 am

Yes
I have called a couple of my local gun stores this morning
From what I understand
They just don't have the right to sell any rifles or ammo
Nothing is to go out the door essentially
(Apart from accessories maybe, which they're currently seeking clarification on)

That doesn't make sense to me.....

If retail still has the right to function
If retail is not a current danger to public health
If thousands of retailers are still allowed to operate throughout Australia

Why aren't retail gun stores allowed to operate? lol...

Doesn't make any sense to me :crazy:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Mar 2020, 9:31 am

rc42 wrote:Every time people move around the virus gets to spread, it everybody stayed home it would be just about gone in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately mate that is not quite as simple as that. Unless Australia (and we are one of a few countries that can do it) Completely seal our borders so no fright, no people are allowed into the country until a vaccine is made available. It will just take 1 infected person not showing symptoms to come into Australia and the cycle will start again

Its on the radio.... so its definitely happening.
Vic gunshops shut i meant
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2020, 10:05 am

Ziad wrote:Well it's official VIC have shut their gunshops as well

Yep. They got an email earlier from licencing to shut up shop immediately.
Clearly political. All other sporting and camping stores are open.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 31 Mar 2020, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Raband » 31 Mar 2020, 10:06 am

Permie wrote: My pta for two guns was due to clear TODAY. :silent:

Ditto
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Mar 2020, 10:12 am

Not surprised, with ranges closed and in light of social distance rules and the 2 person assembly requirement, added to the fact that Gumbiment do not see our activities as "essential", it was only a matter of time before we followed WA and Qld. My local close voluntarily last week. More types of retail will follow in coming weeks. The questions arise regarding current Permits and applications, I have 2 PTA's to use and had arranged to transfer the guns with a dealer this Saturday so that becomes problematic.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2020, 10:13 am

Yep. They got an email esrlier today. No notice given. Shut immediately. Just non ammo, powder type sales.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Mar 2020, 10:20 am

I got some 2217 yesterday, but ammo prices have already gone up... and they were telling me another 17% increase next month
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Monolith » 31 Mar 2020, 10:26 am

My licence was approved last week and was waiting for my first PTA which was due this week :(
Monolith
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Mar 2020, 10:27 am

Ziad wrote:I got some 2217 yesterday, but ammo prices have already gone up... and they were telling me another 17% increase next month

Got told similar - when ever it does come back into this state, its going to be 25%-30% increase in Tassie...FYI we are already paying $60 per bottle.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by RoginaJack » 31 Mar 2020, 10:32 am

Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 31 Mar 2020, 10:35 am

Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation