RBT

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

RBT

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Jun 2018, 7:56 pm

Queensland woman charged with drink driving after riding horse to bottle shop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-05/w ... it/9837188

Gotta love the Cane Toads, the wollopers just busted a woman for drink riding.

She rode into a bottlo 3 sheets to the wind and got busted for drink diving. A horse.

Perhaps they have a lot of horse to horse head-ons up there.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: RBT

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 7:58 pm

Horse is still a vehicle. So is a bike.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by JimTom » 05 Jun 2018, 8:10 pm

Sounds a bit backwards in this day and age mate. I am sure it's safer than DUI in a vehicle, nevertheless still against the law it would seem.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 8:17 pm

If you are on the road and in control of a vehicle while inebriated, you will get done. You are a danger to yourself and others. A horse can bolt or you could swerve your bike into traffic, creating a hazard for yourself and other road users.
Last edited by Gwion on 05 Jun 2018, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2018, 8:44 pm

Gwion wrote:If you are on the road and in control of a vehicle while inebriated, you will get done. You are a danger to yourself and others. A horse can bolt or you coukd swerve your bike into traffic, creating a hazard for yourself and other road users.

And that couldn't possibly happen when you are sober could it? :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JimTom » 05 Jun 2018, 8:54 pm

Gwion wrote:If you are on the road and in control of a vehicle while inebriated, you will get done. You are a danger to yourself and others. A horse can bolt or you coukd swerve your bike into traffic, creating a hazard for yourself and other road users.

You’re not a police officer by any chance are you?
:lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jun 2018, 8:57 pm

Lol even I know drinking while riding a horse is a no no.... frig anyone who is even been near horses let alone own horses should know
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 9:04 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

By that logic you seem to support drink driving.

Anything could happen at any time but losing control of a vehicles is far more likely while the opperator is intoxicated. Horses and bikes are vehicular transportation.
Last edited by Gwion on 05 Jun 2018, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 9:04 pm

Ziad wrote:Lol even I know drinking while riding a horse is a no no.... frig anyone who is even been near horses let alone own horses should know

Exactly...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 9:07 pm

JimTom wrote:

You’re not a police officer by any chance are you?

Nope. My name is neither Johnny Hopper nor Jack Hammer.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2018, 9:28 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

By that logic you seem to support drink driving.

Anything could happen at any time but losing control of a vehicles is far more likely while the opperator is intoxicated. Horses and bikes are vehicular transportation.

What logic did you use to come up with that one? :unknown:

Just merely pointing out that 2 of the same accidents happen and one is the result of alcohol and the other is just merely an accident cause the person didn't have alcohol on their breath, yet they both still happened. :unknown:

Had quite a few accidents of all sorts when sober, never had one when pissed :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 9:49 pm

So what is your point?

Saying something that can happen while intoxicated can also happen while sober is a useless truism. Yes. It can happen while sober. Exponentially more likely while pissed. Hence, BAC laws governing vehicle use.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Jon79 » 05 Jun 2018, 10:09 pm

Remember the guy that got done riding the camel completely plastered? And tried to make a get away on the baby one but when he got too far away it ran back to its mother and the cops lol
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 05 Jun 2018, 10:22 pm

Jon79 wrote:Remember the guy that got done riding the camel completely plastered? And tried to make a get away on the baby one but when he got too far away it ran back to its mother and the cops lol

Found it....

"PULL OVER DRIVER, YOUR DROMEDARY'S WEAVING"

A camel-trekking operator has been charged with drink-driving a pair of
camels.

The charge arose during a trip to a waterhole on the outskirts of the
remote northern South Australia community of Oodnadatta last September.

Rick Hall had already been told by police he was too drunk to drive the
four-wheeled cart carrying 10 to 12 people, so he handed over the reins
to 15-year-old volunteer Carmal Stapleton. But then local police Sgt
Garry Griffiths arrived and accused Hall of still driving the two camels
by voice command. Now Hall, 35, of Alice Springs, faces two charges of
drink-driving a camel. The second count arose after Hall allegedly
tried to flee the scene on a third camel, a calf, which had been hitched
to the cart. Hall allegedly rode off, hurling abuse at Sgt Griffiths
before the calf, apparently missing its mother, turned around and
delivered Hall back into the waiting arms of the law. A scuffle
allegedly broke out before Sgt Griffiths arrested Hall after stunning
him with capsicum pepper spray. Sgt. Griffiths also has charged Hall
with assaulting police and resisting arrest.

Yesterday, Hall said he was surprised police took the incident so
seriously. He denies he was driving the camels when first pulled over.
The SA Road Traffic Act does not differentiate between vehicles people
can be charged with drink-driving, be it a car, a motorbike, horse,
camel or even skateboard.
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 10:26 pm

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 05 Jun 2018, 10:40 pm

Gwion wrote:
Ziad wrote:Lol even I know drinking while riding a horse is a no no.... frig anyone who is even been near horses let alone own horses should know

Exactly...

And your basing this on what? I grew up around horses, and ride either or both my quarter horse or warm blood/thoroughbred at least once a week. I jump the quarter horse in just a halter, no saddle or bridle and use him for horse archery (shooting arrows at static targets whilst cantering along). Whilst in practice I wouldn't ride one to and from the pub, I'd have to be so tanked to be a very long way over the limit to not feel comfortable in the saddle. Their own sense of self preservation and road sense is stronger than you might think.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2018, 11:33 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Exactly...

And your basing this on what? I grew up around horses, and ride either or both my quarter horse or warm blood/thoroughbred at least once a week. I jump the quarter horse in just a halter, no saddle or bridle and use him for horse archery (shooting arrows at static targets whilst cantering along). Whilst in practice I wouldn't ride one to and from the pub, I'd have to be so tanked to be a very long way over the limit to not feel comfortable in the saddle. Their own sense of self preservation and road sense is stronger than you might think.

I know of a lady who went from party to party at Xmas time, she was as full as a bishops ball bag and still managed to get home fine, couldn't remember where she parked the horse but found it tied up to the letterbox from all accounts :lol:

I think the horse drove the drunk home in this instance :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 06 Jun 2018, 7:03 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Exactly...

This +1. I have ridden/ owned horses since I was three and contrary to a lot of peoples beliefs they are intelligent animals with a well developed sense of self preservation.
Has anybody on here ever given a drunk mate a piggy back down the street?
Should your mate be done for drink driving?
While it is the law it's a bullsh@t law and trying to equate it to vehicle dui is imo a big stretch :drinks: .
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 06 Jun 2018, 7:48 am

I recall people being done for drunk-riding while operating a horse to the local pub while crissed as pickets; back in the mid 1980's.
Nothing new, there.

To say EVERY horse is going to behave more intelligently than the drunken fool on their back, is a recipe for disaster.
Neighbours have race horses, and often ride the retired ones for mustering, stock-work etc.
My understanding is that the traits that make a great race-horse, also make for some highly-strung animals.
A number of times, one of those horses has shied at the most trivial things, and caused themselves (and riders) a serious accident.
[One of those incidents, the horse shied at a particularly scarey rock, jumped sideways, and dragged itself and the rider along a barbed-wire fence. Horse required extensive stitching, and rider enjoyed a lot of x-ray scans at the local hospital.]
I wouldnt want to think about how a highly-strung horse would react if a thoughtful and caring Logan motorist comes in behind them at the bottl-o, and toots the horn...
Are we thinking horses never take fright and bolt?
A runaway horse running full-tilt into a passing car is NOT going to be a trivial accident.
It's not like Mr Plod is going to be able to discern if the offending horse IS one of the more level-headed breeds.

I just dont see it as being all that silly, to have a blanket rule that when someone is in charge of a car/bike/horse/camel/pushbike/backhoe/truck/crane/dozer/etc etc etc, that they should be stone-cold sober.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 8:07 am

If we were going to sit here and complain about bullshyte laws, we could be here all year and arguing the whole time because what you think is a good law I may not agree with and visa versa.

While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills, the fact that they have a mind of their own can and does work both ways. Some horses are skittish and difficult to control, even when you are sober. I remember one horse I used to ride as a teenager. Big tall young quarter horse. Always wanted to be in the lead. If another horse got in front of him he would just bolt and you couldn't stop him, well I couldn't and he was known for it.
Hell, I regularly drive past horse riders on the side of the road and see the effort some are putting into controlling their animals. One girl I see stops her horse and faces it from the road when she hears a car coming behind.
Then there are all those horses that are known kickers, biters, pig rooters...

And the horse that bolted in front of my mum's friend's car, causing her to crash and become a paraplegic; it's sense of self preservation wasn't so high at the time.....

Besides all that, anything you have control of that is on the road (that is not your own two feet) is a vehicle. Horse, bike, lawnmower, motorised esky, large dog pulling a cart... small dog pulling a cart... scooter, etc.....
Being piggy backed by your mate doesn't count because you are not in 'control' of him, he is in 'control' of you and hopefully rational (or sober) enough not to follow your stupid drunken lead. Mind you, you can still get done for being drunk in public, you just won't lose your licence for it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 8:39 am

I'm getting thirsty reading all this stuff, I can feel a carton coming on! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 9:18 am

Gwion wrote:
While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills, the fact that they have a mind of their own can and does work both ways. Some horses are skittish and difficult to control, even when you are sober. I remember one horse I used to ride as a teenager. Big tall young quarter horse. Always wanted to be in the lead. If another horse got in front of him he would just bolt and you couldn't stop him, well I couldn't and he was known for it.
Hell, I regularly drive past horse riders on the side of the road and see the effort some are putting into controlling their animals. One girl I see stops her horse and faces it from the road when she hears a car coming behind.

And the horse that bolted in front of my mum's friend's car, causing her to crash and become a paraplegic; it's sense of self preservation wasn't so high at the time....

Sorry to hear that about your mum, that's pretty sad. I have got to add that all of these examples point to poorly trained animals and/or inexperienced riders (or a lack of common sense on the riders behalf). Stopping and turning a horse away from traffic is just teaching it that cars are scary and you'd better get ready to run because I'm tensed up and hanging on for dear life. I'd love a dollar for every time someone has told me that their horse is the problem, it won't do this or it won't do that. What a big surprise when someone who can ride and knows how to ask gets on it and then the horse does exactly what is requested of it.

I'm much more likely to hurt myself stone cold sober on my dirt bike than with a few beers in my belly on my horse.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 06 Jun 2018, 9:20 am

Rod_outbak wrote:
To say EVERY horse is going to behave more intelligently than the drunken fool on their back, is a recipe for disaster.
Neighbours have race horses, and often ride the retired ones for mustering, stock-work etc.
My understanding is that the traits that make a great race-horse, also make for some highly-strung animals.
r.

Thats where knowing ya horse comes into it.
Ya don't put horses that are skittish in that situation. I've got a mare here at the moment I won't ride out the yard let alone on a road. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Gwion wrote:If we were going to sit here and complain about bullshyte laws, we could be here all year and arguing the whole time because what you think is a good law I may not agree with and visa versa.

While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills,

Got nothing to do with being a horse whisperer (personally I think that's a load of sh@t) it's about knowing whether or not ya horse is capable of handling being out in a given situation which comes down to ya experience. Anyway we all cook a curry different and have different opinions if we didn't it'd be a boring old world!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

Daddybang wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:
r.

Ya don't put horses that are skittish in that situation. I've got a mare here at the moment I won't ride out the yard let alone on a road. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Gwion wrote:If we were going to sit here and complain about bullshyte laws, we could be here all year and arguing the whole time because what you think is a good law I may not agree with and visa versa.

While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills,

Got nothing to do with being a horse whisperer (personally I think that's a load of sh@t) it's about knowing whether or not ya horse is capable of handling being out in a given situation which comes down to ya experience. Anyway we all cook a curry different and have different opinions if we didn't it'd be a boring old world!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Spot on DB, it's all common sense, sadly as we know it's getting rarer by the generation. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 06 Jun 2018, 9:39 am

Remember the old radar stations--copper sitting by the road next to that huge dish...

I know a guy, who knows a guy, (lol), who was riding his bmx home from a big piss-up.

So, head down bum up, full as a goog with a blood stream soaked in THC & going going like the clappers (cos its fun going as fast as you can when wasted), skooting down a long slow hill (Grand Junction Rd i believe).
Once he was doing mach 5 & his legs could no longer function, he has looked up to enjoy the view blurring past him, only to suddenly smash into a radar station & the copper.

Maybe not so funny at the time, but dam its funny now...!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can just picture the look on both their faces immediately after both getting up...& thinking "wtf--is really happening"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He (the rider) was the only one not injured & radar station was apparently cactus...!

He got booked for dui, riding on footpath, & what ever else the rather unhappy & tender copper could think of at the time.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 9:43 am

And the horse that bolted in front of my mum's friend's car, causing her to crash and become a paraplegic; it's sense of self preservation wasn't so high at the time.....

Besides all that, anything you have control of that is on the road (that is not your own two feet) is a vehicle. Horse, bike, lawnmower, motorised esky, large dog pulling a cart... small dog pulling a cart... scooter, etc.....
Being piggy backed by your mate doesn't count because you are not in 'control' of him, he is in 'control' of you and hopefully rational (or sober) enough not to follow your stupid drunken lead. Mind you, you can still get done for being drunk in public, you just won't lose your licence for it.

Was the person in charge of the horse drink riding?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 06 Jun 2018, 9:45 am

Thats really horrible news Gwion...
Empathy to you...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 9:50 am

There was no person in charge of the horse and it wasn't my mum injured but a family friend.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 9:57 am

Gwion wrote:There was no person in charge of the horse and it wasn't my mum injured but a family friend.

So was the horse just wondering around on the road then?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 9:58 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:
r.

Spot on DB, it's all common sense, sadly as we know it's getting rarer by the generation. :drinks:

Most people don't have common sense... especially when they are PISSED!

Not all horses are calm. Not all horses are well trained. Not all riders are skillful.

I've known very skillful and experienced riders and they will all talk about horses as individuals with different quirks, fears and characteristics.

Trying to assert that people are generally safe to ride on the road while drunk is pretty silly...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation