RBT

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: RBT

Post by Rod_outbak » 06 Jun 2018, 7:48 am

I recall people being done for drunk-riding while operating a horse to the local pub while crissed as pickets; back in the mid 1980's.
Nothing new, there.

To say EVERY horse is going to behave more intelligently than the drunken fool on their back, is a recipe for disaster.
Neighbours have race horses, and often ride the retired ones for mustering, stock-work etc.
My understanding is that the traits that make a great race-horse, also make for some highly-strung animals.
A number of times, one of those horses has shied at the most trivial things, and caused themselves (and riders) a serious accident.
[One of those incidents, the horse shied at a particularly scarey rock, jumped sideways, and dragged itself and the rider along a barbed-wire fence. Horse required extensive stitching, and rider enjoyed a lot of x-ray scans at the local hospital.]
I wouldnt want to think about how a highly-strung horse would react if a thoughtful and caring Logan motorist comes in behind them at the bottl-o, and toots the horn...
Are we thinking horses never take fright and bolt?
A runaway horse running full-tilt into a passing car is NOT going to be a trivial accident.
It's not like Mr Plod is going to be able to discern if the offending horse IS one of the more level-headed breeds.

I just dont see it as being all that silly, to have a blanket rule that when someone is in charge of a car/bike/horse/camel/pushbike/backhoe/truck/crane/dozer/etc etc etc, that they should be stone-cold sober.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 8:07 am

If we were going to sit here and complain about bullshyte laws, we could be here all year and arguing the whole time because what you think is a good law I may not agree with and visa versa.

While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills, the fact that they have a mind of their own can and does work both ways. Some horses are skittish and difficult to control, even when you are sober. I remember one horse I used to ride as a teenager. Big tall young quarter horse. Always wanted to be in the lead. If another horse got in front of him he would just bolt and you couldn't stop him, well I couldn't and he was known for it.
Hell, I regularly drive past horse riders on the side of the road and see the effort some are putting into controlling their animals. One girl I see stops her horse and faces it from the road when she hears a car coming behind.
Then there are all those horses that are known kickers, biters, pig rooters...

And the horse that bolted in front of my mum's friend's car, causing her to crash and become a paraplegic; it's sense of self preservation wasn't so high at the time.....

Besides all that, anything you have control of that is on the road (that is not your own two feet) is a vehicle. Horse, bike, lawnmower, motorised esky, large dog pulling a cart... small dog pulling a cart... scooter, etc.....
Being piggy backed by your mate doesn't count because you are not in 'control' of him, he is in 'control' of you and hopefully rational (or sober) enough not to follow your stupid drunken lead. Mind you, you can still get done for being drunk in public, you just won't lose your licence for it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 8:39 am

I'm getting thirsty reading all this stuff, I can feel a carton coming on! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 9:18 am

Gwion wrote:
While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills, the fact that they have a mind of their own can and does work both ways. Some horses are skittish and difficult to control, even when you are sober. I remember one horse I used to ride as a teenager. Big tall young quarter horse. Always wanted to be in the lead. If another horse got in front of him he would just bolt and you couldn't stop him, well I couldn't and he was known for it.
Hell, I regularly drive past horse riders on the side of the road and see the effort some are putting into controlling their animals. One girl I see stops her horse and faces it from the road when she hears a car coming behind.

And the horse that bolted in front of my mum's friend's car, causing her to crash and become a paraplegic; it's sense of self preservation wasn't so high at the time....

Sorry to hear that about your mum, that's pretty sad. I have got to add that all of these examples point to poorly trained animals and/or inexperienced riders (or a lack of common sense on the riders behalf). Stopping and turning a horse away from traffic is just teaching it that cars are scary and you'd better get ready to run because I'm tensed up and hanging on for dear life. I'd love a dollar for every time someone has told me that their horse is the problem, it won't do this or it won't do that. What a big surprise when someone who can ride and knows how to ask gets on it and then the horse does exactly what is requested of it.

I'm much more likely to hurt myself stone cold sober on my dirt bike than with a few beers in my belly on my horse.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 06 Jun 2018, 9:20 am

Rod_outbak wrote:
To say EVERY horse is going to behave more intelligently than the drunken fool on their back, is a recipe for disaster.
Neighbours have race horses, and often ride the retired ones for mustering, stock-work etc.
My understanding is that the traits that make a great race-horse, also make for some highly-strung animals.
r.

Thats where knowing ya horse comes into it.
Ya don't put horses that are skittish in that situation. I've got a mare here at the moment I won't ride out the yard let alone on a road. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Gwion wrote:If we were going to sit here and complain about bullshyte laws, we could be here all year and arguing the whole time because what you think is a good law I may not agree with and visa versa.

While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills,

Got nothing to do with being a horse whisperer (personally I think that's a load of sh@t) it's about knowing whether or not ya horse is capable of handling being out in a given situation which comes down to ya experience. Anyway we all cook a curry different and have different opinions if we didn't it'd be a boring old world!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

Daddybang wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:
r.

Ya don't put horses that are skittish in that situation. I've got a mare here at the moment I won't ride out the yard let alone on a road. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Gwion wrote:If we were going to sit here and complain about bullshyte laws, we could be here all year and arguing the whole time because what you think is a good law I may not agree with and visa versa.

While you guys may all be horse whisperers who have always had the calmest, most sensible animals and legendary horse handling skills,

Got nothing to do with being a horse whisperer (personally I think that's a load of sh@t) it's about knowing whether or not ya horse is capable of handling being out in a given situation which comes down to ya experience. Anyway we all cook a curry different and have different opinions if we didn't it'd be a boring old world!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Spot on DB, it's all common sense, sadly as we know it's getting rarer by the generation. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 06 Jun 2018, 9:39 am

Remember the old radar stations--copper sitting by the road next to that huge dish...

I know a guy, who knows a guy, (lol), who was riding his bmx home from a big piss-up.

So, head down bum up, full as a goog with a blood stream soaked in THC & going going like the clappers (cos its fun going as fast as you can when wasted), skooting down a long slow hill (Grand Junction Rd i believe).
Once he was doing mach 5 & his legs could no longer function, he has looked up to enjoy the view blurring past him, only to suddenly smash into a radar station & the copper.

Maybe not so funny at the time, but dam its funny now...!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can just picture the look on both their faces immediately after both getting up...& thinking "wtf--is really happening"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He (the rider) was the only one not injured & radar station was apparently cactus...!

He got booked for dui, riding on footpath, & what ever else the rather unhappy & tender copper could think of at the time.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 9:43 am

And the horse that bolted in front of my mum's friend's car, causing her to crash and become a paraplegic; it's sense of self preservation wasn't so high at the time.....

Besides all that, anything you have control of that is on the road (that is not your own two feet) is a vehicle. Horse, bike, lawnmower, motorised esky, large dog pulling a cart... small dog pulling a cart... scooter, etc.....
Being piggy backed by your mate doesn't count because you are not in 'control' of him, he is in 'control' of you and hopefully rational (or sober) enough not to follow your stupid drunken lead. Mind you, you can still get done for being drunk in public, you just won't lose your licence for it.

Was the person in charge of the horse drink riding?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 06 Jun 2018, 9:45 am

Thats really horrible news Gwion...
Empathy to you...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 9:50 am

There was no person in charge of the horse and it wasn't my mum injured but a family friend.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 9:57 am

Gwion wrote:There was no person in charge of the horse and it wasn't my mum injured but a family friend.

So was the horse just wondering around on the road then?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 9:58 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:
r.

Spot on DB, it's all common sense, sadly as we know it's getting rarer by the generation. :drinks:

Most people don't have common sense... especially when they are PISSED!

Not all horses are calm. Not all horses are well trained. Not all riders are skillful.

I've known very skillful and experienced riders and they will all talk about horses as individuals with different quirks, fears and characteristics.

Trying to assert that people are generally safe to ride on the road while drunk is pretty silly...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Jun 2018, 10:02 am

I learned a long time ago that if you have a horse that's prone to pigrooting, the best way to stop the behaviour is to simply keep him away from the pig.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 10:18 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:I learned a long time ago that if you have a horse that's prone to pigrooting, the best way to stop the behaviour is to simply keep him away from the pig.

Good one Mick I like that :lol: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2018, 10:28 am

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:
r.

Most people don't have common sense... especially when they are PISSED!

Not all horses are calm. Not all horses are well trained. Not all riders are skillful.

I've known very skillful and experienced riders and they will all talk about horses as individuals with different quirks, fears and characteristics.

Trying to assert that people are generally safe to ride on the road while drunk is pretty silly...

And that's where the common sense thing comes in, one needs to know ones limitations hey. :thumbsup:

I remember years ago as a kid catching the bus from Hill End, the bus driver was famous for being a drinker and driver going by the smell on his breath, he used to drive that bus down the bridal track without a worry in the world, we'd do our shopping in Bathurst then on the bus we'd get and do the trip back home, the ol bus driver spent his time in the pub going by the smell.

And if anyone knows the Bridal Track they will know just how dangerous that thing is sober let alone with a skin full, some people can handle their drink and still function fine whilst others can have a beer and end up being as silly as a two bob watch and no G I'm not condoning drinking and driving so don't try a twist my works like you love to do, I'm just pointing out some people can still function fine after having a few and others well their lightweights I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 11:19 am

This place needs a facepalm emoji!

No need for me to twist anything, BFS. You do a good job of it yourself...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 11:30 am

Gwion wrote:

That's not actually what I'm saying. I was responding to the original statement from Ziad
"Lol even I know drinking while riding a horse is a no no.... frig anyone who is even been near horses let alone own horses should know"

And your response "Exactly..."

I did say in my initial post that I wouldn't ride to and from the pub, and I'm not advocating that anyone should. But the implied suggestion that anyone that has been around horses that would get on a horse after having had a couple of coldies is a few cans short of a six pack (pun fully intended) is a bit rich.

As has been thrashed out already, some horses and rider combinations are better than others. Some horses have more quirks than others just as some people don't understand animal behaviour and can't ride for s**t! Hmmmm, come to think of it, some people don't understand how cars work or how to drive around a round-about or what a give way sign means............

Sorry to hear about your Mums friend, that's awful.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Jun 2018, 12:08 pm

All your points are moot.
Its against the law.
Deal.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Jun 2018, 12:17 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:I learned a long time ago that if you have a horse that's prone to pigrooting, the best way to stop the behaviour is to simply keep him away from the pig.

Good one Mick I like that :lol: :drinks:

:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 12:22 pm

bigpete wrote:All your points are moot.
Its against the law.
Deal.

Yep.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jun 2018, 3:20 pm

I had a brother, he was killed by a drunk driver who was unlicensed due to a previous drink driving charge. His death destroyed my parents and till their deaths they never got over it. To add further salt to the wound the driver only got 3 years in minimum security, he was in a 4WD while my brother was on a bike and the defense made a big deal about motorcycles being dangerous.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 06 Jun 2018, 3:53 pm

Saddens me to hear that mate.
There are absolutely zero excuses for driving under the influence.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 3:57 pm

brett1868 wrote:I had a brother, he was killed by a drunk driver who was unlicensed due to a previous drink driving charge. His death destroyed my parents and till their deaths they never got over it. To add further salt to the wound the driver only got 3 years in minimum security, he was in a 4WD while my brother was on a bike and the defense made a big deal about motorcycles being dangerous.

Sorry to hear that Brett. I've lost too many mates to car accidents but I can only imagine that it must be worse to loose a brother/sister or a child. Hopefully he's resting peacefully somewhere.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 4:08 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigpete wrote:All your points are moot.
Its against the law.
Deal.

Yep.

Duly noted and acknowledged. Again, I'm not advocating illegal behaviour or even suggesting that type of behaviour should be legal. I was to responding to the original statement from Ziad "Lol even I know drinking while riding a horse is a no no.... frig anyone who is even been near horses let alone own horses should know".

If Ziad's comment was intended to mean that "people should know that riding a horse on a public road whilst under the influence is illegal" then it might have been clearer for us as the audience if he had said "all licenced drivers should know that driving any vehicle on a public road whilst under the influence is illegal, and furthermore that any licenced driver should know that a push bike or horse etc is legally defined as a vehicle". If that's what he meant, that's great. It's not how I interpreted what he said, the first or second time I read it. My initial interpretation was "anybody that gets on a horse once they've had a couple is an idiot". If said person rode that horse on a public road, then yes they're an idiot, and breaking the law, and deserve to be duly charged by the police.

Having reread Ziad's comment again, that's probably what he meant, and my mistake.

All that said and done, next time I feel like going or a ride on private property after having a beer or two with my Sunday lunch, I won't be worrying about being unable to control my horse or loosing my licence.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 4:14 pm

I took his meaning as, "horses can be unpredictable at the best of times so riding while drunk isn't clever".
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Jun 2018, 4:17 pm

Sorry to read of your loss, Brett. It's the kind of thing you carry for ever, even if you do learn to live with it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jun 2018, 5:53 pm

Lol looks like I cause a bit of confusion. I meant was even i know being over .05 while riding a horse is a big no no and can get you to lose your car license. As a horse is considered a vehicle in the eye of the law.

Now sure if you are in the middle of a large paddock and only had a couple drinks you could easily handle the horse in 99% of the situations, but horse is a flight animal and s**t happens even the most docile of horses can get a fright and if you are not 100% there could result in badness.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

Ziad wrote: and s**t happens....... could result in badness.

Yeah good point. I'll be sure to strap myself in to the safety of my lounge chair far away from potentially harmful animals next time I have a beer
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 6:12 pm

Ziad wrote: I meant was even i know being over .05 while riding a horse is a big no no and can get you to lose your car license. As a horse is considered a vehicle in the eye of the law.

Yep, I agree
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 06 Jun 2018, 9:43 pm

Gwion wrote:Sorry to read of your loss, Brett. It's the kind of thing you carry for ever, even if you do learn to live with it.

This happened 18 yrs ago but the pain is still there, especially around Christmas and Birthdays. It's one of the reasons I gave up drinking but also because I changed my attitude about driving. Getting behind the wheel to me is the same as placing my finger on a trigger, I want to be in the best mental condition possible cause both can turn deadly in the blink of an eye.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation