My German Shepherd is a Pommie

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

My German Shepherd is a Pommie

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jun 2018, 6:50 pm

I reckon my Shep must be a Pommie.

Fair dinkum,,,, I've never met a dog that whines as much.
He whines constantly, even though EVERYTHING is good,,,,,
Well fed, exercised, got a warm bed, got fresh water, got other doggie companion, got human companions, etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, he is definatly NOT a whimp.
He has had military training (when he was younger), and God help any stranger that comes near the property (as in "uninvited")

He is regularly checked by a vet, and has no health issues.
The vet says it is the breed, and they tend to be very "vocal"

Any other members have any experiences like this ????

I've never owned a Shepherd before.
I've stuck mainly to Dobermans and Rottweilers.

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: My German Shepherd is a Pommie

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jun 2018, 7:15 am

Growing up dad would only own germ sheps and they all (3)would whine like a diff about to go!!! :lol: :drinks:

Ps if ya want a really good dog cross a rottie with a shepard :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Jun 2018, 10:51 am

When I was young we used to breed German Shepherds and Norwegian Elkhounds (not together, mind) the Elkhounds bark almost as often as they breathe, and strange as it may seem were bred for that ability among others as it's part of how they work with their owner hunting Elk, and yes, if you want to live with a Shepherd, you have to accept the whining conversation as well.

There are two main methods used in Norway for hunting Elk with Elkhounds, in the first the dog follows a scent trail until it finds the Elk and bails it up then barks to allow the owner to home in and take the Elk. In the second method the dog follows the scent while the hunter sets themselves in a spot on the trail, when the dog finds the Elk they torment it to get it to chase them, then lead them back along the scent trail to the waiting hunter.

In either case they need to be tough, smart and to be able to bark incessantly. The Elkhounds have two ways of barking, one is just like other dogs, take a breath bark bark bark breath etc usually when excited, the other is the hunting bark where they take a breath and bark the whole lot in a deep toned woof, breath woof breath woof etc. I watched my main girl Elsa one day, she would breathe in and put her whole body into the woof

If want to live with a Shepherd you have to accept the talking, if you want to live with an Elkhound, get a good set of earmuffs.
Attachments
Norwegian_Elkhound.jpg
Norwegian_Elkhound.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 12:08 pm

Hi DJ.
Although im dogless at the moment, ive had German Shephards in my life since being a toddler.

Yes some can be very vocal & like to talk, but in my experience it can be way more prevelant in males in their younger years (maybe first 4 or so years).
My last boy didnt "grow up" until around 4 yrs or so.
They seem to have a lot to tell you about & can be very expressive-sometimes appear high maintenance, but they just dont want to miss out on anything.
Always love & talk back to them & include them, but also encourage independance, same principles as bring up human kids-just different training methods i guess.

Im guessing he is still young so it will pass & if treated right, you will be amazed at how "in tune" he will be with you later in life--i think they really are smarter than the average person thinks they are.

I dont want to upset any Rottie lovers, but ive not to this day met a smart rottie--certainly not on the same level as a Shephard. In fact a few of the Rotties ive met that folk have paid stupid amounts of money for, have been some of the dumbest animals ive come accross.
Thats just my experience, no offence to Rottie lovers..! :)

My bet is you wont go back to a Rottie after having a Shephard live a full life by your side. In years to come, you'll get another. :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Jun 2018, 12:56 pm

Stix wrote:Hi DJ.
I dont want to upset any Rottie lovers, but ive not to this day met a smart rottie--certainly not on the same level as a Shephard. In fact a few of the Rotties ive met that folk have paid stupid amounts of money for, have been some of the dumbest animals ive come accross.
Thats just my experience, no offence to Rottie lovers..! :) :thumbsup:

Never owned a Rottie but I've had a German Shepherd and he was a genius. The fact that they're almost universally used by police around the world (and Rotties aren't) probably says something. I heard tell from a very good source at the time that when the Qld Police trialled a Rottie for police work back in the early 90s it didn't work out because he was too smart and could count (also because he was too heavy to lift over a high wall). In testing one on one he'd engage but if sooled on to two or more "offenders" he'd do the maths and bail but not lug. Now whether that's too much smarts or too little fortitude I can't say. They stayed with the loyal & eager-to-please German Shepherds.
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 12 Jun 2018, 2:14 pm

Take him to the river bed at Alice Springs and you’ll find a group of people that’ll suck the wine out of just about anything, might be worth a try.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Jun 2018, 4:06 pm

brett1868 wrote:Take him to the river bed at Alice Springs and you’ll find a group of people that’ll suck the wine out of just about anything, might be worth a try.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that's politically incorrect mate :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Jun 2018, 4:33 pm

bigrich wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Take him to the river bed at Alice Springs and you’ll find a group of people that’ll suck the wine out of just about anything, might be worth a try.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that's politically incorrect mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a trifle :D :D :D
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Jun 2018, 7:07 pm

As one of those responsible for moving them on some years back, sadly all to true, I would like a dollar for every green can and wine bladder I have tipped out.
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jun 2018, 8:31 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:

As one of those responsible for moving them on some years back, sadly all to true, I would like a dollar for every green can and wine bladder I have tipped out.

The Green can dreaming :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2018, 8:58 pm

Daddybang wrote:Growing up dad would only own germ sheps and they all (3)would whine like a diff about to go!!! :lol: :drinks:

Ps if ya want a really good dog cross a rottie with a shepard :thumbsup: :drinks:

I'm not 100% on some of the Xbreeding that goes on, but I always kinda liked the prospect of a Rottie x Ridgeback.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2018, 9:10 pm

Yes some can be very vocal & like to talk, but in my experience it can be way more prevelant in males in their younger years (maybe first 4 or so years).

Im guessing he is still young so it will pass & if treated right, you will be amazed at how "in tune" he will be with you later in life--i think they really are smarter than the average person thinks they are.

My bet is you wont go back to a Rottie after having a Shephard live a full life by your side. In years to come, you'll get another. :thumbsup:

My money will always stay on Rotties,
I've had some extrordinary experiences with the ones I've had, and love em.

I took the Shep on (he is now 7yo) full time 3 years ago from my partners daughter, whom couldn't keep him any longer due to changes forced on her and her husband by the Army.

What with the whining and the massive amounts of hair that the Sheps lose almost constantly,,, I won't be going back for seconds even though I love him and he fits right in with my Rottie an I.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2018, 9:25 pm

There are usually some bad fruit in every basket.

While not agreeing with, nor claiming kin to the particular "group" you mention (I have been there and seen them) not all of us are painted with the same brush.
But I do like your analogy in respect of a cure for my dog. :lol: :thumbsup:

:drinks: :friends:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 10:42 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

My money will always stay on Rotties,
I've had some extrordinary experiences with the ones I've had, and love em.

I took the Shep on (he is now 7yo) full time 3 years ago from my partners daughter, whom couldn't keep him any longer due to changes forced on her and her husband by the Army.

What with the whining and the massive amounts of hair that the Sheps lose almost constantly,,, I won't be going back for seconds even though I love him and he fits right in with my Rottie an I.

Fair enough mate...i dont doubt you about the Rotties, i love dogs & id like to meet a well behaved intelligent Rottie.
Maybe the ones ive met were like they were from the owners then, as none if them were what i call dog lovers--rather they were dog owners...a big difference in my book.

Dont know what to say about the whining if he's 7yo...sheesh...
As i said ive only ever seen it in young(er) ones.
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jun 2018, 11:42 pm

Stix wrote:
Fair enough mate...i dont doubt you about the Rotties, i love dogs & id like to meet a well behaved intelligent Rottie.
Maybe the ones ive met were like they were from the owners then, as none if them were what i call dog lovers--rather they were dog owners...a big difference in my book.

Dont know what to say about the whining if he's 7yo...sheesh...
As i said ive only ever seen it in young(er) ones.
Cheers

Yeah Mate,
I love dogs more so than people in most instances.
This one (Rocky) has been a whiner all the way back to eight weeks old so my partners daughter told me.
From the day she picked him up from the breeder,,,,

He even whines in his sleep sometimes.

Beats the @@@@ outta me. :unknown: :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2018, 5:56 pm

Try feeding the poor bugger. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2018, 8:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Try feeding the poor bugger. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Trouble is I feed em too good sometimes,,,,,,,,,,, I just can't help it.
A couple of times now, vets have told me to ease up a bit cos they are borderline to being overweight. (according to the vets/books ideal weight.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jun 2018, 9:25 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Try feeding the poor bugger. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Trouble is I feed em too good sometimes,,,,,,,,,,, I just can't help it.
A couple of times now, vets have told me to ease up a bit cos they are borderline to being overweight. (according to the vets/books ideal weight.

Many people fall into the same trap, after many years with dogs, I can vouch for what most vets recommend, in relation to the amount fed to dogs.
Member-Deleted

Post by NTSOG » 30 Jun 2018, 6:53 am

HI Die Judicii,

I have owned and bred German Shepherds, but find they tend to whine when they want to tell you something. For instance my current dog [a working-lines GSD bred from East German and Czech stock] was whining and wanting to go out the other night, but we told him to lie on his mat. He was very persistent but we wanted him inside as it was about the time a particular fox comes by the house and that would have led to him running around outside barking - I am not allowed to shoot this fox as my wife's horse is a bit precious about centrefires going bang. In the end we found out why he was whining: he barfed on the kitchen floor. He must have picked up some rubbish in a paddock earlier in the day and, being house-trained, wanted to go out to empty his gut. He's a very smart dog.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2018, 10:13 pm

NTSOG wrote:HI Die Judicii,

I have owned and bred German Shepherds, but find they tend to whine when they want to tell you something. For instance my current dog [a working-lines GSD bred from East German and Czech stock] was whining and wanting to go out the other night, but we told him to lie on his mat. He was very persistent but we wanted him inside as it was about the time a particular fox comes by the house and that would have led to him running around outside barking - I am not allowed to shoot this fox as my wife's horse is a bit precious about centrefires going bang. In the end we found out why he was whining: he barfed on the kitchen floor. He must have picked up some rubbish in a paddock earlier in the day and, being house-trained, wanted to go out to empty his gut. He's a very smart dog.

Jim

Granted, but this one whines when he's happy, just been fed, is already outside, just been let inside, etc etc etc ad infinitem.

The Rottie on the other hand hardly ever makes a sound unless someone or something is prowling outside.
Apart from that she growls at me when she wants to have a cuddle (sometimes a doz times a day) whereupon I sit on a 3 seater chair and she climbs up and lays across my knee.
If inside and wanting out she comes and pats me with a paw.
If outside and wants to come inside she barks (once only) and waits. If I don't open the door she usually waits for another 20 minutes then barks once more.

She sleeps inside on her own bed in the laundry, and when she wants to go out in the morning if I'm not already up, she walks into the bedroom (ignoring the partner) comes all the way round to my side and nudges me with her nose, then walks out again and waits for me to come let her out.
If I'm away from home she performs this ritual to my partner.

If she finds a piece of Tiger cactus that may have been carried into the yard on my boots or a car tyre, she points at it with her nose (just like a pointer dog) and growls at it until I remove it.

These are but a few examples of some of her antics and achievements.
Also a very smart dog,,,,,,,,,, but NO whining.

The only time I have ever heard her whine was on one occasion when she was coming out of anaesthesia after a major operation.

Give me Rotties any time.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 01 Jul 2018, 6:17 am

"Give me Rotties any time."

They are strikingly powerful dogs - the ''butcher's dog'' if I remember my history about their breeding. Unfortunately my only experience of them is being chased down the road on several occasions as I cycled past as their idiot owners left gates open. Those big jaws would have made a mess of me, but, at least they were not as fast as some breeds which would have caught me!

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Jul 2018, 4:20 pm

NTSOG wrote:"Give me Rotties any time."

They are strikingly powerful dogs - the ''butcher's dog'' if I remember my history about their breeding. Unfortunately my only experience of them is being chased down the road on several occasions as I cycled past as their idiot owners left gates open. Those big jaws would have made a mess of me, but, at least they were not as fast as some breeds which would have caught me!

Jim

As a point of interest, they only became "butchers" dogs (also bakers dogs) because of their size and strength giving them the ability to pull the carts.
The Germans bred them up from the dogs that were left behind by the Romans.
They just happened to abandon most of them in or around the town of Rottweil, hence the name we know of them today.

The Romans had a double use for them,
A) Guard dogs (no surprise)
B) They were also used as cattle dogs for controlling the herd/s of cattle that they had with them as they conquered their way across Europe to feed their soldiers.

A big male Rottie I had years ago showed a distinct back and forth motion behind cattle that I certainly did not train into him.
He showed the typical signs of cattle herding dogs, but really didn't realize it himself or demonstrate that he actually knew what he was doing.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation