Wallaby meat tasmania ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Wallaby meat tasmania ?

Post by Tasman83 » 01 Jul 2018, 11:33 pm

Hi guys just signed up after reading through some of the threads and thought I'd ask a question about sourcing some cheap, delicious wallaby meat here in Tasmania. More and more I'm reading the benefits of game meat and being a big consumer of protein it makes sense for me to source my meat from a cheaper, healthier and more ethical place. Anyway it seems as though there are plenty of wallabies being culled and was wondering if it's possible to buy some of the meat at a reasonable price somewhere near Hobart from someone ?, I guess I'm hoping someone could sell me a heap of wallaby that I could just freeze away for a few months at a time. Happy to process the wallaby myself also if need be, Anyway thanks and regards Tasman.
Tasman83
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Wallaby meat tasmania ?

Post by Bills Shed » 04 Jul 2018, 6:36 pm

Hi Tasman83,
Welcome to the forum,
Not to put a damper on things but to keep it legal, have a read of the info on Wallaby on the DPIWE web site. Game tracks is a good place to start. Page 14
http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/Game-tracks.pdf
I would say most people who go out rolling wallaby do it under crop protection permits ( use of a spotlight) and not commercial licences and therefore can not sell it. There is nothing to say we can not give it away though. If the meat is for you, I would suggest that you do the skinning. I feed the dogs off some of the wallaby I shoot. I say some, as we shoot many more than I could possibly use. There are just so many of them now. As per the link aver 190 000 Were declared shot last year, but I reckon you could almost double that!

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tasman83 » 05 Jul 2018, 9:56 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Hi Tasman83,
Welcome to the forum,
Not to put a damper on things but to keep it legal, have a read of the info on Wallaby on the DPIWE web site. Game tracks is a good place to start. Page 14
http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/Game-tracks.pdf
I would say most people who go out rolling wallaby do it under crop protection permits ( use of a spotlight) and not commercial licences and therefore can not sell it. There is nothing to say we can not give it away though. If the meat is for you, I would suggest that you do the skinning. I feed the dogs off some of the wallaby I shoot. I say some, as we shoot many more than I could possibly use. There are just so many of them now. As per the link aver 190 000 Were declared shot last year, but I reckon you could almost double that!

Bill

Hi Bill thanks for the reply that just seems like a crazy amount of wallabies that are being culled, it sounds as though farmers are struggling to keep the numbers at bay. I myself used to work at forestry planting trees and I know that there were crazy amounts around at that time to. Also I should probably thought a bit more about how I was wording the thread, it never occurred to me that there were licenses and permits involved with regard to the sale of the meat, it makes perfect sense though I guess. Anyway if there were ever any spare wallabies that anyone didn't have any use or room for I'd be more than happy to process and dispose of everything all myself, it I'd be handy to learn the process and probably something every bloke should also know. Anyway thanks again, best regards, Tasman83.
Tasman83
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2018, 4:46 am

Tasman. Best thing to do is get your firearms licence, a game licence and get to know landowners with Crop Protection permits, then go collect your own game meat.
What you are doiing is tantamount to prompting a black market in game meat. Not good, mate. Not good.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tasman83 » 08 Jul 2018, 4:22 am

Gwion wrote:Tasman. Best thing to do is get your firearms licence, a game licence and get to know landowners with Crop Protection permits, then go collect your own game meat.
What you are doiing is tantamount to prompting a black market in game meat. Not good, mate. Not good.

Hi mate thanks for your reply and sorry if you got the wrong impression. I agree, I should definitely start the ball rolling on a firearm licence, I'm also not looking to buy meat illegally, just trying to save some cash and eat more healthy. Anyway thanks again, tas.
Tasman83
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 08 Jul 2018, 9:25 am

Tasman83 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Tasman. Best thing to do is get your firearms licence, a game licence and get to know landowners with Crop Protection permits, then go collect your own game meat.

Hi mate thanks for your reply and sorry if you got the wrong impression. I agree, I should definitely start the ball rolling on a firearm licence, I'm also not looking to buy meat illegally, just trying to save some cash and eat more healthy. Anyway thanks again, tas.

No worries. When you are equiped you can also obtain permission to shoot on Forrestry land, but only in daylight hours. Spotlighting is illegal in Tas unless the property is under a Crop Protection Permits. Still; plenty of wallabies hopping about on Forrestry land if you are just after a couple for dinner and don't know anyone with land and a CPP.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation