painting clay pigeons

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

painting clay pigeons

Post by nightforcenxs » 27 Aug 2018, 6:48 pm

so i bought some clays the other day as i like to put them out at 300 and 400m and shoot them but the other day when i got a case of them i didnt realise they were all just black so i bought some dy mark orange paint because that stuff doesnt come off easy painted one clay and let it sit for 4 hours came back to it and the clay had absorbed all the paint :unknown: its still black what paint do i need to use that will actually be visible and not suck into the clay.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: painting clay pigeons

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Aug 2018, 8:30 pm

A tin of Duxback sealer or whatever it's called now from Bunnings and just follow instructions on tin. Might need a coat or two...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 27 Aug 2018, 9:46 pm

[quote="RoginaJack"]A tin of Duxback sealer or whatever it's called now from Bunnings and just follow instructions on tin. Might need a coat or two...[/quote

alright thanks roginjack ill go tomorow to bunnings and see if i can get some and try again :lol:
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 28 Aug 2018, 1:38 pm

Just get some real pigeons, their feathers are paint friendly.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Aug 2018, 3:25 pm

JSS wrote:Just get some real pigeons, their feathers are paint friendly.

worst thing is i could i use to have chooks and i use to put the feed out on the ground and they use to fly in but since the chooks have died long time ago now the pigeons never left there a plague now
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 28 Aug 2018, 5:47 pm

That's perfect..... First you could shoot them with a paintball gun to add a little colour, then once their painted you can nail them again. It's a win win situation for sure!! :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 28 Aug 2018, 6:29 pm

I would cop it on the chin, set them in closer and just buy another box. Lot of work and mess painting all those clays, for something you are just going to destroy.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Stix » 28 Aug 2018, 7:56 pm

Hey Nightforce...are you sure someone is not sneaking in, pinching your clays as you paint them & swapping them out with non painted ones...??? :lol: :lol:

Try a diluted solution of pva first (like a bondcrete type product)...that'll sort it out...but water based spray paint after that... :thumbsup:
(Or set a heap of traps around the painted clays)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Aug 2018, 11:17 pm

Supaduke wrote:I would cop it on the chin, set them in closer and just buy another box. Lot of work and mess painting all those clays, for something you are just going to destroy.

its to late for that supaduke i ended up painting them with some white acrylic then with the fluro orange dymark it worked out ok but next time i know not to buy them but its ok gave me something to do in the arvo.
Stix wrote:Hey Nightforce...are you sure someone is not sneaking in, pinching your clays as you paint them & swapping them out with non painted ones...??? :lol: :lol:

Try a diluted solution of pva first (like a bondcrete type product)...that'll sort it out...but water based spray paint after that... :thumbsup:
(Or set a heap of traps around the painted clays)

well stix they are nice and fat you could make a pie from them i dont think the neighbours would like the 223 going off ill have swat at my door :lol: but ill keep in mind the pva idea though will come in handy if i cant get the painted clays
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 6:49 am

:lol:
Just a weak mix of the pva & water should seal the surfsce enough for paint. :thumbsup: (let pva solution dry before you paint).

If you know a solid plasterer they should have some you can pinch-you wont need much.
Or ive got half a drum of it in my shed you can try.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 29 Aug 2018, 7:03 am

Wrap a strip of duct tape around them then use the money saved to buy more ammo!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Aug 2018, 9:00 am

put a white background or hang them off some wire :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Sep 2018, 12:59 am

How do you manage to keep them still (the clay pigeons) while you paint them ???

:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 06 Sep 2018, 10:13 am

+1 Good one!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation