Left handed Lee Enfield

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Left handed Lee Enfield

Post by Chappo » 21 Sep 2018, 8:07 pm

Gunna ask a silly question that I think I already know the answer to but does anyone know if left handed military rifles existed pre ww2?

I have 3 rifles built on Lee Enfield actions and a thought occurred to me today that it must have been hard for soldiers to have to retrain themselves to be able to fight in the armed services back then.

My wife is a lefty and my oldest fun sponge seems to be favouring the dark side as well so I guess I am just curious.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Left handed Lee Enfield

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2018, 8:40 pm

Chappo wrote:Gunna ask a silly question that I think I already know the answer to but does anyone know if left handed military rifles existed pre ww2?

I have 3 rifles built on Lee Enfield actions and a thought occurred to me today that it must have been hard for soldiers to have to retrain themselves to be able to fight in the armed services back then.

My wife is a lefty and my oldest fun sponge seems to be favouring the dark side as well so I guess I am just curious.

Before the bolt-actions, the Martini was ambidextrous so I don't think it was a problem, except that some of the belt equipment probably favoured right-handed shooting..
Once we went to bolt repeaters I don't think any military made any concessions to the cacky-handed. Keep in mind that they were not training precision shooters, they just wanted blokes that could pull the trigger and feed it ammo.
Ian McCollum on Forgotten Weapons shoots right-handed bolt-rifles very effectively I reckon, brilliant to watch him run the bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOUfPX_y4Nk&list=PL9e3UCcU00TTfQquL0MjomFiXIUlaZGm3&index=8&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZLKtm7HcG4&list=PL9e3UCcU00TTfQquL0MjomFiXIUlaZGm3&index=20&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAyxLVBK-2g
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 21 Sep 2018, 9:01 pm

I’d forgotten about the martini, good point.
I’d give my left arm to be ambidextrous!!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2018, 9:05 pm

Chappo wrote:I’d forgotten about the martini, good point.

:-)
I ran a 9" circular saw through my right wrist in 1990, and I still can't do most things with my left hand, my brain just won't grasp the concept :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 21 Sep 2018, 9:07 pm

s**t eh! Your right hand probably can’t grasp much either!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2018, 9:19 pm

Chappo wrote:s**t eh! Your right hand probably can’t grasp much either!

Never stopped me working, but my right thumb doesn't do much - can't push the safety up on handguns for example :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2018, 10:27 pm

Chappo wrote:I’d forgotten about the martini, good point.

Thats gotta be the best thought out comment of this year... :lol: :lol: :lol:

How could you possibly be ambidextrous if you only had one arm...LMFAO... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 21 Sep 2018, 10:34 pm

Thanks mate. My humour is usually the type that my wife rolls her eyes at!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 22 Sep 2018, 4:40 am

There were no left handed service rifles, leftys became proficient at using the rifle in right handed fashion under the gentle ministrations of Sergeants and other Non-Coms. I have seen a 303 from Qld at the Nationals where the bolt handle had been extended and bent back over the striker in such a fashion as to be readily manipulated with the left hand without having to reach over the stock or moving the head too much, and this enabled the shooter to use the left shoulder with ease. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 13 Nov 2018, 1:26 am

I'm a lefty and yes it felt completely wrong to shoulder a rifle on the right, but after a couple of months it became second nature. I can't even hold a rifle left handed now it feels so strange.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation