lets see some DIY unfinished projects you're working on.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

lets see some DIY unfinished projects you're working on.

Post by pete1 » 06 Oct 2018, 5:25 am

So i think through life many of us DIYers have those projects that just take longer then so lets see some unfinished projects on there way or never got done.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: lets see some DIY unfinished projects you're working on.

Post by Chappo » 06 Oct 2018, 12:57 pm

Yeah my wife is always telling me i never finnish what i st
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Oct 2018, 1:03 pm

Chappo wrote:Yeah my wife is always telling me i never finnish what i st

:lol:
:clap:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 06 Oct 2018, 4:42 pm

Nearly 3 years ago now I decided I could no longer live without an off-road camper trailer, and being tighter than a frog's blurter and suffering damn near fatal boredom at being unable to work, I decided to build my own.

I got about 80% done when poverty and ennui set in.

The fact that while building it, the rooftop tent on which I was basing it went from $800 to $1800 didn't help my motivation.

I don't know why the top 3 pics are showing sideways here, I have tried reorienting them before posting but they still come out sideways.

Given the dramas I'm having with my scope today, I am neither surprised at this additional failure, nor can I give an arse full of steam, so if you're interested, you'll have to turn your head.

Time for some more moonshine.
Attachments
20140517_175314.JPG
20140517_175314.JPG (110.32 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
20140519_174540.JPG
20140519_174540.JPG (112.56 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
20140521_134418.JPG
20140521_134418.JPG (131.74 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg (453.79 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
20140712_121706.JPG
20140712_121706.JPG (146.11 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
InkedWebp.net-resizeimage (12)_LI.jpg
InkedWebp.net-resizeimage (12)_LI.jpg (667.79 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 07 Oct 2018, 11:13 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Nearly 3 years ago now I decided I could no longer live without an off-road camper trailer, and being tighter than a frog's blurter and suffering damn near fatal boredom at being unable to work, I decided to build my own.

The fact that while building it, the rooftop tent on which I was basing it went from $800 to $1800 didn't help my motivation.

I don't know why the top 3 pics are showing sideways here, I have tried reorienting them before posting but they still come out sideways.

Given the dramas I'm having with my scope today, I am neither surprised at this additional failure, nor can I give an arse full of steam, so if you're interested, you'll have to turn your head.

Looks well made mate :)
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Oct 2018, 11:42 am

pete1 wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Nearly 3 years ago now I decided I could no longer live without an off-road camper trailer, and being tighter than a frog's blurter and suffering damn near fatal boredom at being unable to work, I decided to build my own.

Thanks Pete,

I wanted to try to bombproof it so I used 3mm wall tube all throught, chamfered all the welds and cold galvanized everything, I even splurged on a new welder to make the most of it.

I got an Australian made Boswell Inverter Combination. It's a stick welder, TIG, and plasma cutter in one unit, absolute ball-tearer.

Only one thing I'm not happy with is the floor. I used 3mm plate but despite clamping hell out of it and being super careful of heat expansion by welding small patches at at time and letting things cool, I still got a small ripple in the floor. I should have cut it a tad smaller and filled the gap with weld.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 07 Oct 2018, 11:51 am

pete1 wrote:

Thanks Pete,

I learned a lot of things not to do on a previous trailer build. I got a ute tray back and built a chassis to mount the dual axle suspension and hinge mount the tray, put a compact 4 stage 8t hydraulic ram under it and a 12v pump and reservoir in a toolbox at the front and hey presto, a 2t tipper.
Heavy bugger though, 670kg tare.

I wanted to try to bombproof the camper so I used 3mm wall tube all throught, chamfered all the welds and cold galvanized everything, I even splurged on a new welder to make the most of it.

I got an Australian made Boswell Inverter Combination. It's a stick welder, TIG, and plasma cutter in one unit, absolute ball-tearer.

Only one thing I'm not happy with is the floor. I used 3mm plate but despite clamping hell out of it and being super careful of heat expansion by welding small patches at at time and letting things cool, I still got a small ripple in the floor. I should have cut it a a couple of mm smaller and filled the gap with weld.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Oct 2018, 2:12 pm

So how about you Pete?

Got any projects that got you all enthusiastic that waned halfway through?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 09 Oct 2018, 4:19 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:So how about you Pete?

mmmm where to start two trailers never finished, two motorbikes not finished one 99% few other projects sold and got money back and bit extra so not to bad.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Oct 2018, 5:35 pm

pete1 wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:So how about you Pete?

mmmm where to start two trailers never finished, two motorbikes not finished one 99% few other projects sold and got money back and bit extra so not to bad.

That's refreshing, I thought it was just me being a slacker, seems it's a thing. :D
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 09 Oct 2018, 6:05 pm

Nearly 18 years ago i bought a character home to renovate because i just love them & love the thought of renovating. :D

Ive mostly stripped it out... :clap:

Ive re-strutted the roof & replaced the loungeroom ceiling... :clap:

Prepped walls in one room... (well...partly...) :shock:

Filled every room with junk... :thumbsdown:

Aaannd...
....well thats about it... :D

Im a carpenter builder...the last thing i can be bothered doing is opening the trailer on a weekend when there is so much gun powder to burn...!!!

My OCD & high end perfection finish skills utterly forbid me to let other trades do the work...

All up ive had 3 trades help do some stuff & i fair dinkum nearly have heart failure at their ways... :crazy:

Sheesh...what am i to do...??!!! :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Oct 2018, 6:22 pm

Stix wrote:Nearly 18 years ago i bought a character home to renovate because i just love them & love the thought of renovating. :D

Aaannd...

Im a carpenter builder...the last thing i can be bothered doing is opening the trailer on a weekend when there is so much gun powder to burn...!!!

My OCD & high end perfection finish skills utterly forbid me to let other trades do the work...

All up ive had 3 trades help do some stuff & i fair dinkum nearly have heart failure at their ways... :crazy:

I think that goes with being persnickety about impressing yourself at doing something really well mate.

Since I was a kid and all through school my plans were veterinary medicine as my career.
After high school I decided to take a year to earn some bucks before starting uni.
Got a job at a mine and just fell in love with that dirt mate. Being able to able to make a 110t machine cut or fill to10mm or 15mm tolerance is wood inducing. Maybe its just the vibration :lol:

The landlord had a steep hill on the run over to the sheering sheds sealed to stop washouts and this stretch is in the house paddock right in front of the house, so I got to watch the works.

It still sh!ts me they got the drainage arse about.

Mate, I could have said so much to the young guys doing it to get things just so, but who wants to be that guy?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 09 Oct 2018, 7:01 pm

Stix wrote:Nearly 18 years ago i bought a character home to renovate because i just love them & love the thought of renovating. :D

Aaannd...

I know feeling of perfection its good when you finish it but pain when you need it done.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation