tikka t3 bolt blow up

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: tikka t3 bolt blow up

Post by Gwion » 09 Oct 2018, 10:08 am

Oldbloke wrote:Normally I check them all by having a look using a torch. Just to confirm they are all more or less filled to the same level. (it's a basic safety check) I think in this case due to doing it in a rush I didn't do that.

This is why i load one case at a time. Prime all. Then one by one, weigh in powder then seat bullet. Next case...
Might be slower but at least i have piece of mind.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 30 Oct 2018, 8:53 pm

Seen the results of exactly the same thing back in RSA in the old days - rifle also stopped working on the second shot.

Shooter brought it back to the shop to complain that the bolt wouldn't open and why had the bottom dropped out of the magazine and why had the stock cracked on both sides of the action?

The gunshop tried to make the shooter look guilty, but I thought that since the guy came in asking for a 308, admitted he knew nothing and they sold him a 270 and 308 ammo, that it was their fault, but ....

Another one was written up in an RSA magazine called Magnum - a guy fired a 308 round in a .25-06 with regrettable results, and the shooter lost a few fingers IIRC - the front stock shattering.

Then, here in Oz - it happened twice in one day at two different clubs I was a member of - in the first one, a laddie let off two rounds of 7mm-08 in his beautiful Beretta O/U Double rifle in .30-06 - result - mainly embarrassment and funny straight-walled cases.

The same day, I popped into another club and one of the shooters was complaining that his Sako Quad was shooting crap - he didn't know what was wrong - all his 17-HMR cases were blown out and split - it happens if you have the .22WMR barrel on, it appears.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 30 Oct 2018, 8:58 pm

Gwion wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Normally I check them all by having a look using a torch. Just to confirm they are all more or less filled to the same level. (it's a basic safety check) I think in this case due to doing it in a rush I didn't do that.

This is why i load one case at a time. Prime all. Then one by one, weigh in powder then seat bullet. Next case...
Might be slower but at least i have piece of mind.

I do things differently - after preparing cases and trimming and chamfering, and so on, I put them mouth up in a loading block- then I prime them all, with a hand primer, returning them to the block, neck down, with their newly installed primers showing to the gods and me.

Then I charge each one individually, returning it to the block, mouth up. When all are done, I use a torch and check that each one contains powder and is the same height - any doubts and I empty the powder and reweigh.

Then I seat each bullet returning it to the block bullet down again.

It's not what everyone does, but it's been my habit since the early 1980s and it's worked for me.
--
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Tiger650 » 30 Oct 2018, 9:24 pm

Obviously powder can also be a trap, I tape down container lids with white duct tape and write caliber on that.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 30 Oct 2018, 9:56 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:I do things differently - after preparing cases and trimming and chamfering, and so on, I put them mouth up in a loading block- then I prime them all, with a hand primer, returning them to the block, neck down, with their newly installed primers showing to the gods and me.

Then I charge each one individually, returning it to the block, mouth up. When all are done, I use a torch and check that each one contains powder and is the same height - any doubts and I empty the powder and reweigh.

It's not what everyone does, but it's been my habit since the early 1980s and it's worked for me.

Thats what i do BRNO... :thumbsup: ...except the bullet down at the end....no real need for that as the bullet itself in the neck is enough confirmation of the final step being complete.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2018, 4:38 am

Stix wrote:
BRNO_Bigot wrote:I do things differently - after preparing cases and trimming and chamfering, and so on, I put them mouth up in a loading block- then I prime them all, with a hand primer, returning them to the block, neck down, with their newly installed primers showing to the gods and me.

Thats what i do BRNO... :thumbsup: ...except the bullet down at the end....no real need for that as the bullet itself in the neck is enough confirmation of the final step being complete.

That’s my method as well fellas. Great minds think alike hey ? Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 31 Oct 2018, 12:17 pm

bigrich wrote:
Stix wrote:

Yep, I think it's a form of Time and Motion Study. How can I do the most with the fewest actions?

That's the way it turned out for me, so it's not really surprising that others would develop it as well.

BTW - the reason I put the loaded rounds back is so that, when I put them into the box, I can give them a final inspection, and maybe a rub with a cloth. Then I know I've inspected them with my mind on the task of inspecting, not chopping and changing tasks from weighing to seating to inspecting. It's the way MY mind works - others may do things differently and if it works for them, it's really no skin off my nose.
--
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2018, 2:04 pm

I’ve been in the metal trades most of my life, so I’m used to being organised in processing and production work, where you put everything through the one process, then the next after that. Keeps it simple
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 31 Oct 2018, 3:13 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:
bigrich wrote:
Stix wrote:

Yep, I think it's a form of Time and Motion Study. How can I do the most with the fewest actions?

That's the way it turned out for me, so it's not really surprising that others would develop it as well.

BTW - the reason I put the loaded rounds back is so that, when I put them into the box, I can give them a final inspection, and maybe a rub with a cloth. Then I know I've inspected them with my mind on the task of inspecting, not chopping and changing tasks from weighing to seating to inspecting. It's the way MY mind works - others may do things differently and if it works for them, it's really no skin off my nose.

Your are right that we do it a particular way because that's how our minds work.

In my case, I have a brain injury that means my short term memory can be unreliable, so I build one bullet to completion at a time.

I start by priming all the cases I'm going to load and store them in a block, nose down, so I can see they're ready to start. I count out a corresponding number of projectiles and put them on a little tray next to the block, then I take a case, weigh the powder, charge the case and seat the pill, give it a wipe down and final inspection and that is one I know has been completed and is ready to fire. That also eliminates the need to have charged cases lying around that I need to re-check or with my wobbles and twitches, might knock arse over and need to redo, everything is done within my goldfish sized short term memory span.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation