100 years!!

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

100 years!!

Post by Daddybang » 11 Nov 2018, 5:25 am

Since the guns fell silent and ended the "War to End All Wars"
LEST WE FORGET
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: 100 years!!

Post by bigpete » 11 Nov 2018, 7:23 am

:drinks:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 11 Nov 2018, 9:00 am

Lest We Forget
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Nov 2018, 9:06 am

Have you guys been following Indy Neidell's "The Great War" Youtube channel?
He's done a weekly report every week since May 2014 that allows us to follow the war in real-time, 100 years after the event.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar/videos
He just started a World War Two channel in September this year that does the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ/videos
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 11 Nov 2018, 9:25 am

I don't watch you tube alot cause I've only got a prepaid phone and it chews the data but im very interested in having a look at these series so I'll get my sister to download it for me next time I get to innisfail...Thanks for posting Bladeracer :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Nov 2018, 9:31 am

Daddybang wrote:I don't watch you tube alot cause I've only got a prepaid phone and it chews the data but im very interested in having a look at these series so I'll get my sister to download it for me next time I get to innisfail...Thanks for posting Bladeracer :thumbsup: :drinks:

I don't do online stuff on the phone, and I don't watch stuff on Youtube.
I download Youtube videos to my drive and watch them in my own time, without the advertising.
I would likely have the entire collection spread across various hard drives.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Nov 2018, 9:45 am

Lest We Forget :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by pete1 » 11 Nov 2018, 10:29 am

bladeracer wrote:Have you guys been following Indy Neidell's "The Great War" Youtube channel?
He's done a weekly report every week since May 2014 that allows us to follow the war in real-time, 100 years after the event.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar/videos
He just started a World War Two channel in September this year that does the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1AejCL4DA7jYkZAELRhHQ/videos

Yes seen some of his stuff and very interesting, learn alot of interesting things
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2018, 11:40 am

I was loading at 11...

Figured im all alone & not making noise so ill keep going...

As it turns out i had to stop for a bit anyway cos the scales went a tad foggy for a minute or 2.

Fukn gets me every time.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Nov 2018, 12:19 pm

My maternal Grandmother's brother Thomas was so keen to get amongst it his army number was 128.

He survived everything the enemy threw at him in all the campaigns he was in, wounded, decorated, but on the ship coming home there were 2 guys from another unit who had been feuding over something, we have never been able to discover what, and one of them set a booby trap for the other containing a grenade.
Unfortunately Thomas fell victim to it instead and "died of wounds" before the ship reached home.

My maternal Grandfather had a reserved occupation and was refused enlistment numerous times until the need for men increased.
He spent his service as a stretcher bearer with 15th Field Ambulance and was one of those involved in the creation of the RSL and the Anzac Day March.

Two of my late Mum's treasures were the hypodermic kit and thermometer her father used throughout his service and "souvenired" on demobilisation, and the deck of miniature cards he carried in a matchbox, kept safe along with a picture of her mother in a protective metal sleeve.

We have always remembered them and their mates, what their innocence led them into, for their service and what it cost them.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (16).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (16).jpg (394.87 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg (552.15 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (13).jpg (426.01 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (15).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (15).jpg (448.59 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 11 Nov 2018, 5:41 pm

lest we forget :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

and good on you Gaz
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 6:12 pm

Good on ya Gaz.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 11 Nov 2018, 6:13 pm

Stix wrote:
As it turns out i had to stop for a bit anyway cos the scales went a tad foggy for a minute or 2.

Fukn gets me every time.

Yeah mate my sunnies got a bit foggy around then....must've been made by the same mob as ya scales hey :D :drinks:

Thats some amazing history there Gaz!!
:thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2018, 10:19 pm

That stuff is priceless Gaz... :thumbsup:
Would be amazing to see it in real life...!!!
Thanks for sharing it... :thumbsup:

My family have kept letters from the men away at war...its truely freaky reading them.

One inparticular was transcribed & published in a double page newspaper spread a while back.

I remember reading a letter written by my great grandfather & sent back home while he was at war...
He told a story of how he & 3 of his mates had to skiddadle quick from their position in the trench as their position was known & mortars or something were on their way...

He writes it with an almost cold but matter of fact manner, & goes on to say that while they were running & under fire, his mate behind him was shot in the head, & a grenade exploded just forward of them killing his 2 mates leading...

Many people have said im crazy for getting outa bed so early to go to dawn service... :crazy:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Nov 2018, 11:21 pm

Yeah Stix, a different breed of people back then, they hadn't been weaned on the Nanny State.
Imagine what a tribe of Caspar Milquetoasts we'll be in another 100yrs,

I never met my Grandfather, he was born in 1890 and died in 1941 when my Mum was only 7.

He apparently left with jet black hair and when he returned after his time ferrying wounded in from no man's land it was snow white.
He never carried a gun, just a first aid kit and stretcher. Balls of steel.
Him and his fellow stretcher bearers must have been flat out, Australia had the highest casualty rate of the war at nearly 65%

I remember as a kid, once I was old enough to grasp the cocepts, looking at the hypo kit and wondering about the guys he used it on.
And the cards, imagining them sitting in a dugout playing crib or patience while they waited for the artillery to stop.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2018, 5:38 am

Ian McCollum and Karl Kasarda are doing a Great War Armistice two-gun competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ekndJK6BRg
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2018, 6:36 am

Daddybang wrote:[
Yeah mate my sunnies got a bit foggy around then....must've been made by the same mob as ya scales hey :D :drinks: :

Hehe....weighing charges on my raybans eh...& you wearing your redding beams... :lol: ... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 12 Nov 2018, 2:33 pm

Seymour Black Powder Club too a break at 10.45 yesterday for a memorial reflection and the traditional minute of silence at 11 am and followed by a “wall of smoke” as is our way saluting the fallen. A lot of our members are ex servicemen and servicewomen.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 12 Nov 2018, 3:28 pm

Noisydad wrote:Seymour Black Powder Club too a break at 10.45 yesterday for a memorial reflection and the traditional minute of silence at 11 am and followed by a “wall of smoke” as is our way saluting the fallen. A lot of our members are ex servicemen and servicewomen.

I reckon that would be impressive to see and hear Noisy :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2018, 8:59 am

They have an Aussie doing the Armistice match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBt31q7diQ0
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation