Stratco attached carport

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Stratco attached carport

Post by bronco93 » 07 Dec 2018, 1:08 pm

So I got a quote for a carport. Basically 9mx4.5m attched to house using extenda brackets. Was quoted $7400 and that was with the generous christmas discount of $390. Seems like a bit of a ripoff. Was having a quick look at online steel places and basically to build basic frame. Beams and posts looking at roughly 2400 (bunnings is even cheaper. About 1200 probally s**t quality though) Im pretty sure colorbond and guttering and other bits and pieces dont cost 5k or so? Reckon I would be better of buying everything myself or am I completely wrong and this is a good deal? Cheers
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Stratco attached carport

Post by knowsnothin » 07 Dec 2018, 10:53 pm

$7400 should get you a free standing heavy- steel colourbond insulated 9 x 4.5 installed and maybe concrete flooring . tell him to shove his discount and enjoy his bankruptcy.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Dec 2018, 6:23 am

Definitely shop around. Sounds expensive.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2018, 7:53 am

You're not being specific enough to comment on the price.

Is it flat/pitched/gable/hipped roof, ...?
Are the posts 50x50/cold rolled/100x100 powdercoated...?
Type of roofing...?
Site conditions/access...?

Not that im necessarily asking you to answer all these questions, but there is more to the price than just a figure.

It works out to aporox $180/sqm...thats pretty cheap in terms of any roof structure to be supplied & installed i rekon... :thumbsup:

BUT yes...Stratco are expensive...!!
There is also the salesmans wages & commission, production, clerical & transport staff just to name a few whos wages all need to be paid as well...!!

And dont forget about plans to council for developement approval & associated fees... :thumbsup:

Always cheaper to do it yourself...but only if you do it right... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Dec 2018, 8:01 am

Stratco are a very expensive, but as stix said they have a lot of overheads. I would not build one from scratch, guarenteed fkup if you have no prior experience. Goto a shed place. Buy one from them. Get their installers to erect it. Job done. Which state or city are you in, there are a couple of cheap places. Possibly get weekly times a few places in there with price lists.

Furthermore you do need building permits and getting steel from bunnings will not get you plans and building permits passed.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 08 Dec 2018, 2:16 pm

Dont buy steel from bunnings its over priced, go to a steel supplier they will cut it all to order and probably deliver. I brought some steel at my local joint for $3 a metre bunnings were $14 a metre
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Dec 2018, 3:19 pm

I built a large shed from scratch and can tell you there is a lot of work in it. Do you have all the tools to build it yourself? Things like decent angle grinders, a metal cutoff saw, a few cordless drills, powered tin shears, a welder and welding equipment etc? Setting your toolkit up costs a fair bit. I would suggest getting 3 quotes and make sure each place quotes on the same specifications, eg steel type, construction method and so on. If you are handy, have all the tools and plenty of time you should get it cheaper. Buy steel and the bits and bobs from Orrcon, Migdalia or similar. Bunnings is dear for steel.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Dec 2018, 5:01 pm

I built a large shed from scratch and can tell you there is a lot of work in it. Do you have all the tools to build it yourself? Things like decent angle grinders, a metal cutoff saw, a few cordless drills, powered tin shears, a welder and welding equipment etc? Setting your toolkit up costs a fair bit. I would suggest getting 3 quotes and make sure each place quotes on the same specifications, eg steel type, construction method and so on. If you are handy, have all the tools and plenty of time you should get it cheaper. Buy steel and the bits and bobs from Orrcon, Migdalia or similar. Bunnings is dear for steel.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Smiley » 09 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

I build patios for a living. There are many things which can have an influence on cost. Without seeing the job, that price may not be unreasonable. Get a second quote for comparison.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 09 Dec 2018, 9:28 pm

Yeah cheers everybody. Gonna organise a few more quotes. No rush to get it, have a wedding in april. I know I'd rather be saving for carport, not a wedding.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Dec 2018, 3:00 am

Recently had a 9m x 6m pergola built at my house.
Quotes from $15k to $9k using architect design so quotes were locked to same spec. Big difference.
Then to add insult - council documents cost another...ready for it? Sitting down?? $7,000!!! To rubber stamp another 50 pages of ******!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation