Best electrical connectors...?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Best electrical connectors...?

Post by Stix » 16 Dec 2018, 9:14 am

What electricalwire connectors does everyone use for things like spotlights etc...?

Particularly ones that regularly get pulugged & unplugged such as roof mounted spotlights...

Surely there is something better than this cheap rubbish that lightforce supply with their kits...?
2018-12-16 09.39.33.jpg
2018-12-16 09.39.33.jpg (359.22 KiB) Viewed 545 times

This crap just doesnt last too long before having to replace it...
Curious to know what people use...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Re: Best electrical connectors...?

Post by straightshooter » 16 Dec 2018, 9:39 am

I can't even imagine Hooflungdung P/L from China fitting simple bullet connectors so poorly.
Are you sure that's how they came from the factory and didn't pass through the hands some amateur wiring butcher first?
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by grandadbushy » 16 Dec 2018, 9:42 am

Stix I just got male and female ends for electrical lead put female to battery end so won't earth out and male to spotlight
make the light lead as short as possible so it doesn't dangle too low I use this on all my spotlights
Then choose two of the three contact points as they're 240 V works fine done this for years drop them , stand on them
don't harm them one bit :thumbsup:
Then if some one is useless enough like a bloke I know who then blamed his kid well you get a very bright light for a couple
of seconds then gone :huh: :wtf: buy new bulb :thumbsup:
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 Dec 2018, 9:46 am

I use a lot of the 'Deutsch' 2-pin connectors, but I think they are only rated to 16 amps per pin.
It should be plenty good enough, but I'd wonder if a set of 50-amp Anderson plugs mightnt be better?
That way, the plug isnt operating anywhere near it's limit, and the 50Amp plugs are all moulded, easy to assemble.
They lock together pretty solidly, but also unlock without excess force needed.
And you can even put a bolt through one of them to mount it to a frame etc.

Just note the 30-amp Anderson plugs are a lot more flimsy, and while they'd be fine for current capacity, I dont think they are anywhere near as durable.
And they make them singularly, though they can be locked together.

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p7835a-5 ... connector/
You can buy these most places these days; make sure to get a handful of spare crimp-lugs at the same time (~$2 ea), for when the Phukup Fairy strikes...

They ARE overkill, and likely a bit big for your application, but they arent likely to fail very quickly.

Another thought would be a Merit Plug, as I'm pretty sure they are rated to 16 amps each. That would be easy to plug in, and you can get adapters to use a Merit Plug like a Cigarette lighter socket the rest of the time.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/search?text=m ... 7e56d68301

Another thought would be the 32V DC 2-pin plugs; they have a max of 15 amps as well.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-pin-32-volt ... g/p/PP2075
If I had to choose between a Merit and a 32V DC plug, I'd go the Merit for the compact size.
But my overall preference would be the 50-amp Anderson plug.

My 2 cents.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Dec 2018, 11:42 am

straightshooter wrote:I can't even imagine Hooflungdung P/L from China fitting simple bullet connectors so poorly.
Are you sure that's how they came from the factory and didn't pass through the hands some amateur wiring butcher first?

:lol:
Yes that amateur butcher is me...!!! :D

Its like this...my relatively new light is faulty...it keeps blacking out on me & doing it on a more regular basis--loose connection in the head of it somewhere... :unknown:

I usually keep some basic stuff under the car seat--tie down straps-duct tape-zip ties-bandage-pliers & dedicated wire stripper/crimp tool, but i cleaned out my car & forgot to put them back.. :roll: :thumbsdown:

So, as could be predicted, last trip out, as the reticle was settling over a fox at 150yds, when the reliable (NOT..!!!) light went out.. :evil: .& this time decided to stay out despite all the wire flicking & t-handle shaking. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ..obviously by the time my deep breathing had morphed into storming around the car, slamming doors & swearing like a trooper about how i love my lightforce, mr fox was long gone & i embarked on a rampaging temper induced repair or every connection on the cables, with such high tech tools as a head torch & a knife..given i was 20 km from the farm sheds & probably 5km from the nearest electricity pole, . i thought i did a good job...trust me-the wire was well connected & wasnt pulling out...!!!

Its a good thing i didnt have my back-up light with me or id have driven over this one & then id get no w'tee on it...

As for the pic, I couldnt be bothered going out to the shed, or downloading good pics of new basic connectors, particularly as the post is about NOT using them.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Dec 2018, 11:47 am

grandadbushy wrote:Stix I just got male and female ends for electrical lead put female to battery end so won't earth out and male to spotlight
make the light lead as short as possible so it doesn't dangle too low I use this on all my spotlights
Then choose two of the three contact points as they're 240 V works fine done this for years drop them , stand on them
don't harm them one bit :thumbsup:
Then if some one is useless enough like a bloke I know who then blamed his kid well you get a very bright light for a couple
of seconds then gone :huh: :wtf: buy new bulb :thumbsup:

Hey Grandad...sorry but im not sure what you mean by these electriclal lead ends...? :unknown:

Have you got a pic of them...?

& ive got 2 spare globes... :thumbsup:
I cant believe Lightforce sell them for $20 odd bucks :thumbsdown: ...i payed about $3-$4 for mine... :clap:
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Dec 2018, 11:54 am

Thanks Rod.. :thumbsup:
.ill have a look at those links...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 Dec 2018, 12:08 pm

Stix,

I think Grandad might be talking about the standard 3-pin 240V electrical power-lead plugs.

If you go that path, I'd probably suggest you use the 32V DC plug, as you cant have anyone actually plug a 240V lead into them, as the pins(2 of) are in a different layout.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 12:16 pm

hey stix, i reckon go the merit plugs. make yaself up a real nice lead that's gong to last i reckon . and like rod said the merits are compact . better to spend a few bucks and have something reliable, than something ya saved a few dollars on, only to let ya down when ya need it :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 16 Dec 2018, 3:37 pm

Hear ya go Stix plug in on my spotty :thumbsup:
Attachments
Pic_1216_090.jpg
Pic_1216_090.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 451 times
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 16 Dec 2018, 3:39 pm

Had these plugs on 3 different lights they outlast the lights themselves :thumbsup:
I run a inline fuse as well :thumbsup:
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 16 Dec 2018, 3:58 pm

Stix wrote:I cant believe Lightforce sell them for $20 odd bucks :thumbsdown: ...i payed about $3-$4 for mine... :clap:

Where did you get Lightforce globes so cheap? Cheapest I've ever got them is about $16 I think.

50 amp Anderson connectors are the best bet. The contacts are best soldered onto the wires, but that's not too difficult. Mount one on your vehicle and then you can use it for your spotlight, air compressor, spot sprayer, flashing light, fuel pump, anything that you can think of. Carry one spare and you can use it for either the power side or the lead side as they don't have any gender. Note that there are genuine Anderson connectors and cheaper "Anderson style" connectors. Get the genuine ones.

Then get some 175 amp ones and mount one on your bullbar and use it for jumpstarting.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Dec 2018, 5:46 pm

Ah ok Grandad... :thumbsup:

Im not sure they will be the best...its for the lightforce 240 on a roof mounted bar, so they only leave a little wire for you to connect to from the light...

If i put those on they will probably hang down & want to jam in the door every time open/close it...

It really is a poorly designed part of the light IMO...& they supply the cheapest crap connectors along with it...

Ill take a pic later on of it set up in case you dont know what i mean so you can see the set-up.

I also dont know where id mount a fixed connector for this... :unknown:
Maybe to the roof rack but then ive still got to get the cable up there from the battery under the hood... :unknown:

I used to be great at this auto electrical stuff 25-30 yrs ago, but engine bays scare me every time i see a modern one...
I get a big smile when i see under the hood of an old EH or HR... :D ...makes me wana grab a half inch--9/16ths ringy & start tinkering... :lol:
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Dec 2018, 6:06 pm

I run anderson Plugs on my spotlights, I have a plug permanently attached to the battery so it's just a matter of plugging it in - simple but effective and the anderson plugs are good solid plugs that don't seem to give any issues (use em for camping fridges as well, mates use em for all sorts of camping duties and can't remember any complaining about them.
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by deye243 » 16 Dec 2018, 7:01 pm

It doesn't matter what you use just make sure you solder them as well to cut the resistance
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation