Who here uses firewood to heat their homes in winter?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Who here uses firewood to heat their homes in winter?

Post by Daddybang » 03 Feb 2019, 7:31 am

Stix wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:We have to be very careful with the wood we burn(or at least know exactly what it is) as some trees can have nasty effects if ya breathe the smoke including hallucinations or in extreme cases death. :D :thumbsup: :drinks:

What about CCA Treated Pine - is burning this stuff actually dangerous?
Bob here never worried about it, if it looked like wood it went in the stove.

Don't know about treated pine I've burnt pallets and coppers logs and ended up with a very sore throat but I've felt the same after burning untreated black cypress logs(very handy for keeping mozzies down in camp
:D )
There's a few rainforest trees that the murris use for some of their corrobees and they get some very interesting result from burning them and inhaling the smoke. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Its not dangerous to burn CCA treated timber...but given its treated with Copper, Chrome & Arsenic you probably dont want to be breathing in the fumes/smoke.. :thumbsdown:

I love the smell of Cypress...its so nice to cut & nice sweet smell when burning... :thumbsup: :clap:
:drinks:

Termites dont like the taste either... (well the termites down here anyway--dunno about the the supercharged hulk versions you breed up there.. :lol: . :crazy: ) :D

Yeah stix it's one of my favorite bush timbers I'm lucky enough to have quite a bit of qld bush cypress and black cypress growing on my blovk so we use quite a bit of it for posts . :D
I am looking at building a saw to make it easier to cut the logs into planks to build a little cabin at some point (hard to get good planks with the little chainsaw I own). Posts i have put in the ground six or seven years ago haven't been eaten by the termites yet. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Feb 2019, 11:20 am

Daddybang wrote:
Stix wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:We have to be very careful with the wood we burn(or at least know exactly what it is) as some trees can have nasty effects if ya breathe the smoke including hallucinations or in extreme cases death. :D :thumbsup: :drinks:

What about CCA Treated Pine - is burning this stuff actually dangerous?
Bob here never worried about it, if it looked like wood it went in the stove.

Don't know about treated pine I've burnt pallets and coppers logs and ended up with a very sore throat but I've felt the same after burning untreated black cypress logs(very handy for keeping mozzies down in camp
:D )
There's a few rainforest trees that the murris use for some of their corrobees and they get some very interesting result from burning them and inhaling the smoke. :thumbsup: :drinks:

Its not dangerous to burn CCA treated timber...but given its treated with Copper, Chrome & Arsenic you probably dont want to be breathing in the fumes/smoke.. :thumbsdown:

I love the smell of Cypress...its so nice to cut & nice sweet smell when burning... :thumbsup: :clap:
:drinks:

Termites dont like the taste either... (well the termites down here anyway--dunno about the the supercharged hulk versions you breed up there.. :lol: . :crazy: ) :D

Yeah stix it's one of my favorite bush timbers I'm lucky enough to have quite a bit of qld bush cypress and black cypress growing on my blovk so we use quite a bit of it for posts . :D
I am looking at building a saw to make it easier to cut the logs into planks to build a little cabin at some point (hard to get good planks with the little chainsaw I own). Posts i have put in the ground six or seven years ago haven't been eaten by the termites yet. :thumbsup: :drinks:

I'd be looking at a 394/395 husky or 066 stihl to do some milling with and an alaskan saw mill would probably be fine for what you want DB. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2019, 10:15 am

Finally got the new extension to a stage where I could put the wood heater in. Just in time for the cold front that's apparently heading our way. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Mar 2019, 11:35 am

We finally got nuclear power , cheap as chips ! Reliable for the cold winters.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Runnymede » 06 Mar 2019, 4:47 pm

Blimey is that an axe bigfellascott? I haven’t used one of those since I got my hydraulic log splitter which are a god send. I heat my house primarily with wood as bottled gas here is way too expensive to use full time. I have a wood fire with a wet back that heats water and when up to temp a pump kicks in and pumps it around the house and heats the house via radiators (hydronic heating I believe is the correct term?) It is very effective with the only downside being it’s a hungry beast and the way my wife burns wood it’s a full time job keeping up. Oh well at least it’s cheap as it really is just my time and some fuel for chainsaws and the splitter. Having two teenage sons to “help” split wood helps too :D
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2019, 6:56 pm

Runnymede wrote:Blimey is that an axe bigfellascott? I haven’t used one of those since I got my hydraulic log splitter which are a god send. I heat my house primarily with wood as bottled gas here is way too expensive to use full time. I have a wood fire with a wet back that heats water and when up to temp a pump kicks in and pumps it around the house and heats the house via radiators (hydronic heating I believe is the correct term?) It is very effective with the only downside being it’s a hungry beast and the way my wife burns wood it’s a full time job keeping up. Oh well at least it’s cheap as it really is just my time and some fuel for chainsaws and the splitter. Having two teenage sons to “help” split wood helps too :D

Yeah mate axe and log splitter is all I usually need mind you I will have to get my mates hydronic log splitter as I have some twisted grain gum here that won’t split after being hit 20+ times.

We mostly burn stringy and peppermint here so a hydronic logsplitter isn’t really needed. We do get some red box and yellow box and some red gum too but mostly the other two.

Yours sounds like a great set up mate - I also have an ol Rayburn wood oven which used to have a hot water jacket in it until last year that is after I killed it.

I ran the heater all day today and fired up a pedestal fan to circulate the heat and wholly hell its bloody hot in the whole house.

She will be lovely and warm in here when winter is in full swing I’m sure.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Mar 2019, 8:16 pm

Ma'am I am tempted to turn the heat on if the weather is as cold as it was today..... well I.I I my wife will be asking me to do it.

And to think friday was 39 degrees
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2019, 9:22 pm

Ziad wrote:Ma'am I am tempted to turn the heat on if the weather is as cold as it was today..... well I.I I my wife will be asking me to do it.

And to think friday was 39 degrees

Never fear it will be hot again in a day or two :D I'm experimenting with how to run the heater and all I can say is that outside it's about 6deg and inside its about a 1000deg :silent: I will have to cut some smaller firewood for the not so cold nights I guess, I'm also running a pedestal fan to circulate the air and it's made a big difference to whole house which is now very toasty and warm which is great to see. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Mar 2019, 9:23 am

bigfellascott wrote:[ I will have to cut some smaller firewood for the not so cold nights I guess, I'm also running a pedestal fan to circulate the air and it's made a big difference to whole house which is now very toasty and warm which is great to see. :drinks:

Way to go Scott,,,,,,,,,, burn wood to save on electrickery,,,,,,,,, then use electrickery to spread the love.

:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Mar 2019, 9:47 am

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:[ I will have to cut some smaller firewood for the not so cold nights I guess, I'm also running a pedestal fan to circulate the air and it's made a big difference to whole house which is now very toasty and warm which is great to see. :drinks:

Way to go Scott,,,,,,,,,, burn wood to save on electrickery,,,,,,,,, then use electrickery to spread the love.

:lol: :lol:

Nope we used gas to heat our house before the wood heater went in which as used a fan to spread the heat.

I put the heater in as it costs nothing to run other than a few tanks of fuel for the Ute and saws and it’s also good for my health as gas isn’t real good for ones health ( it tends to make a lot of people sick including me). :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Mar 2019, 8:49 pm

My uncle used to own a treated pine retail outlet.
He would argue with me over the safety over and over again.
They’d use it to make all sorts of cubbyholes, dog kennels, lattice, etc etc etc. he’s dead now - cancer. In fact - every single employee that worked there, thus far has had at least one significant cancer - including close family. Call it what you will - but some doctors have blamed at least some of the outbreaks on the injestion of micro dust from cutting treated timbers with saws...and yes, burning the treated timber gives off toxic fumes.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Mar 2019, 9:12 pm

TassieTiger wrote:My uncle used to own a treated pine retail outlet.
He would argue with me over the safety over and over again.
They’d use it to make all sorts of cubbyholes, dog kennels, lattice, etc etc etc. he’s dead now - cancer. In fact - every single employee that worked there, thus far has had at least one significant cancer - including close family. Call it what you will - but some doctors have blamed at least some of the outbreaks on the injestion of micro dust from cutting treated timbers with saws...and yes, burning the treated timber gives off toxic fumes.

Yeah not a good idea to burn treated timber - I certainly wouldn't anyway. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation