Who here uses firewood to heat their homes in winter?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Who here uses firewood to heat their homes in winter?

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2019, 9:53 pm

I often cook on that heater of mine, even in the middle of summer if it's real hot and I can't be bothered cooking inside I will fire it up and put a casserole on or cook a curry etc, I put a wire rack down and sit the castiron pot on that on the bottom deck and when it's cooked I move it upto the top deck which keeps it all warm.

They are a bloody good heater the ol Lopi, not cheap at around $4k depending on what options you go for but they certainly do last a long time so money well spent. 9.5mm plate and bricks I guess it will last a bloody lifetime if one looks after it and replaces the consumables when they need doing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Jan 2019, 10:46 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Mick, it's amazing how an incident in someones life can change it forever, the brain injury doesn't sound like much fun at all mate, hopefully it doesn't stop you from enjoy other aspects of your life too much mate.:

It's all relative though Scott.
Sure I'd prefer to not to have ticked "headbut a speeding semi" off my bucket list, but mate, I was extraordinarily lucky to survive.
So a few little niggles like not being able to handle hot weather without getting the vapors, I can handle. At least I can live almost normally, do my own thing and wipe my own bum.

There are young people out there in nursing homes because of catastrophic acquired brain injury from far less than what happened to me.

While in the Brain Injury Unit I met a young guy who had fallen 2m from a tree in his yard.
He was alone, so by the time he was found, a small bleed from the surface of his brain, into the surrounding cerebrospinal fluid had raised the pressure, squeezing shut tiny capillaries all through his brain resulting in him becoming a ventilated quadriplegic. He'll spend the rest of his life in an old folks home with his electric ventilator breathing for him.
His biggest dream was for a midnight blackout.

I truly hope the poor bugger got his wish.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 4:28 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Mick, it's amazing how an incident in someones life can change it forever, the brain injury doesn't sound like much fun at all mate, hopefully it doesn't stop you from enjoy other aspects of your life too much mate.:

It's all relative though Scott.
Sure I'd prefer to not to have ticked "headbut a speeding semi" off my bucket list, but mate, I was extraordinarily lucky to survive.
So a few little niggles like not being able to handle hot weather without getting the vapors, I can handle. At least I can live almost normally, do my own thing and wipe my own bum.

There are young people out there in nursing homes because of catastrophic acquired brain injury from far less than what happened to me.

While in the Brain Injury Unit I met a young guy who had fallen 2m from a tree in his yard.
He was alone, so by the time he was found, a small bleed from the surface of his brain, into the surrounding cerebrospinal fluid had raised the pressure, squeezing shut tiny capillaries all through his brain resulting in him becoming a ventilated quadriplegic. He'll spend the rest of his life in an old folks home with his electric ventilator breathing for him.
His biggest dream was for a midnight blackout.

I truly hope the poor bugger got his wish.

That is very true Mick, as I said to someone the other day it could be way worse, we could live in a place like India and have these health issues, over there they would just toss you on the street with some of the issues he was suffering as lifes pretty cheap over there apparently.

I had a relative who got injured in a car accident at a young age, spend all his life a quad - only died last year at around 60yrs of age, I'm not sure I'd of wanted to live a life like that for that long.

I can't say I blame the young fella for thinking like that, I reckon I'd be thinking the same way too. :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2019, 5:40 am

I wish I had a wood fire....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jan 2019, 6:44 am

As Jim Tom said we don't get much of a winter but we still love a good fire. Cutting wood with a mate a couple of sensible beers in the middle of the bush(or just in the back paddock) is a very special way to spend a few hours then later a couple of not so sensible coldies and what we like to call Inferno Nite !! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Resized_20180224_193822_6220.jpg
Resized_20180224_193822_6220.jpg (15.14 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 7:15 am

bigpete wrote:I wish I had a wood fire....

What's stopping ya Pete?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 7:23 am

Daddybang wrote:As Jim Tom said we don't get much of a winter but we still love a good fire. Cutting wood with a mate a couple of sensible beers in the middle of the bush(or just in the back paddock) is a very special way to spend a few hours then later a couple of not so sensible coldies and what we like to call Inferno Nite !! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Resized_20180224_193822_6220.jpg

A man after my own heart, we've had a few good bonfires over the years, this is one we made when a mate bought a new place and needed to do a bit of a clean up, 2 or 3 ctns when down that night I can tell ya, it was a great night out and it was cold (sleet and snow) so the fire was very welcome!

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 23 Jan 2019, 8:26 am

Yes. I quite enjoy cutting firewood. I find it relaxing. Even though using a chain saw is something that you need to make sure you do safely.

Got a bit caught out this year. Had to order a few metres of red gum in as couldn't lift anything and I was home off work for 7 weeks so I was burning a fair bit of wood.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jan 2019, 9:26 am

F@#kin oath BigFella that'd keep ya warm on a cold night!!!!! :D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 9:46 am

Cooper wrote:Yes. I quite enjoy cutting firewood. I find it relaxing. Even though using a chain saw is something that you need to make sure you do safely.

Got a bit caught out this year. Had to order a few metres of red gum in as couldn't lift anything and I was home off work for 7 weeks so I was burning a fair bit of wood.

Yep its therapy to me, that's how much I love it, it makes me feel happy just being out bush. I hope you feel better now mate? I like burning redgum but most of mine is either peppermint or stringy for the most part with the odd bit of box and redgum thrown in. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 9:48 am

Daddybang wrote:F@#kin oath BigFella that'd keep ya warm on a cold night!!!!! :D :drinks:

Yeah she was welcomed alright, you can see in the pic with the bobcat the snow had just started coming in so a good fire was sure welcome! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jan 2019, 9:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:F@#kin oath BigFella that'd keep ya warm on a cold night!!!!! :D :drinks:

Yeah she was welcomed alright, you can see in the pic with the bobcat the snow had just started coming in so a good fire was sure welcome! :D

I've heard about that snow stuff but never seen it in real life except from a distance(Ayers rock back in about 98 but I didn't get out of the truck :lol: ) ...at least ya wouldn't be wasting dollars on ice for the beer. Just sit the carton on stump in the paddock!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:06 am

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I've heard about that snow stuff but never seen it in real life except from a distance(Ayers rock back in about 98 but I didn't get out of the truck :lol: ) ...at least ya wouldn't be wasting dollars on ice for the beer. Just sit the carton on stump in the paddock!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

Mate I've wasted more beer forget about it until the next day and it was a frozen block of beer then :silent: I've learn't to not leave it in the carport and put it in the fridge now :D I near cried when I realised what I'd done :(
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:13 am

here's a bit of snow for ya mate

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:15 am

This was a good lump of wood to cut up - it blew over in a storm and ended up on the fence line so it had to go.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:17 am

A small load - the 621 Jonsereds is a torquey ol beast of a thing, old sckool and way cool is that tank of a chainsaw!

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2019, 10:20 am

Fmd bigfella... :shock:
A good few table tops there...!!!

I couldnt bring myself to burn all of that if i had it...

Id have to salvage some decent slabs & biscuits from it...you know...to keep in the shed & further clog up my life eith stuff ill never get around to doing... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:21 am

A bit of fun in the snow a few years back - the simple pleasures in life are the ones I remember and cherish the most. :drinks:

A bit of towboganing :D

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:26 am

The deer were pretty active too going by the prints everywhere.

It must of been cold that day as the creek was frozen!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jan 2019, 1:43 pm

Yep that looks like a great time mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2019, 2:49 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

What's stopping ya Pete?

Money,and no real place place to put it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2019, 9:06 pm

100_1739.JPG
100_1739.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5119 times
100_1731.JPG
100_1731.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5119 times
IMG10103.jpg
IMG10103.jpg (703.56 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
Yep, I love a wood fire when it gets cold.
But I made sure I don't raise a sweat when I'm splitting it up. :lol: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm

bigpete wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

What's stopping ya Pete?

Money,and no real place place to put it

That sucks Pete, you can get 2nd hand ones pretty cheap, a mate bought his for around $400 and it's a bloody rippa wood heater, sure punches out good heat! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 9:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_1739.JPG
100_1731.JPG
IMG10103.jpg
Yep, I love a wood fire when it gets cold.
But I made sure I don't raise a sweat when I'm splitting it up. :lol: :thumbsup:

Nice setup Ed, what's the story? Yep splittings a bitch and so is loading it into the ute (it really knocks the piss out of me now I can tell ya) this year is really going to be hard on me I think, hopefully, I can get enough in before it gets too cold. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 6:35 am

bigfellascott wrote:Nice setup Ed, what's the story? Yep splittings a bitch and so is loading it into the ute (it really knocks the piss out of me now I can tell ya) this year is really going to be hard on me I think, hopefully, I can get enough in before it gets too cold. :unknown:

We have a log splitter that comes out every week to split wood for us, been coming for over 40 years I believe.
But at 77-years-old now his shoulders are feeling it.
So we bought a log splitter last year for him - he loves it!
I'm really impressed with it. He splits logs for a couple hours every week and it's never missed a beat.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baumr-AG-20-Ton-Electric-Log-Splitter-20T-Hydraulic-Fire-Wood-Block-Cutter-Axe/131778641213
I didn't get it off Ebay but this is the same model we have.
He's finally been able to split the rock-hard stuff that he's had to put aside the last few years, this beast just rips through it.

I wanted to get a petrol one so we could take it out to the fallen trees and cut and split them on-site. But most of its work will be right near the house and I can use a generator if I want to take it out. This thing is virtually silent compared to a petrol engine.
Attachments
20190123_155344b.jpg
20190123_155344b.jpg (358.47 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
20190123_155337b.jpg
20190123_155337b.jpg (285.57 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

That looks like a good little setup you have there BR, what type of wood do you burn where you are?

When I come across a piece I can't split I just get the chainsaw onto it as a rule (usually forky stuff) most of the other stuff if it's tuff I just knock the sides off it as it were instead of the usual splitting in half, then half again type thing like most do, I find knocking the sides off makes it easy to do and doable as it were.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2019, 7:35 am

This video demonstrates what I mean by knocking the sides off the wood that is harder to split, you will also see him try and split it the more traditional way by splitting in half then half again and you can see the difference in how knocking the sides off is to going more traditional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTroXIXQHIY
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jan 2019, 5:50 pm

bigfellascott wrote:This video demonstrates what I mean by knocking the sides off the wood that is harder to split, you will also see him try and split it the more traditional way by splitting in half then half again and you can see the difference in how knocking the sides off is to going more traditional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTroXIXQHIY

Demonstrates yes,, but it is the straightest of straight grain firewood that isn't a challenge to split, especially by hand.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jan 2019, 6:50 pm

12mm Drilled holes in some reels, with some compressed adi powder, with a sparkler fuse, allegedly splits wood quite nicely. So I’ve heard...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 24 Jan 2019, 7:21 pm

Wrong thread...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation