Returning ammo to LGS

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Returning ammo to LGS

Post by Dossa456 » 17 Feb 2019, 4:06 pm

Howdy just a quick question? Has anyone returned factory ammo to there LGS purely because it is very bad quality? I bought 100 rounds of a certain brand. Put 20 through 4 groups of 5 shots. Usually with the other factory stuff I was using I’d get a couple touching at 100m. I couldn’t get this stuff to group at all. Which I was okay with as that’s what I’d expect for factory and I couldnt get my usual factory stuff. Anyways back on track, I open the second box and the third round was deformed and wouldn’t chamber. So I then pulled out a few rounds and yep as expected different lengths, casings not trimmed straight. Ect ect this stuff is terrible. I still have the receipt for the ammo. Should I try and return it all and take in the box I shot and try get my $25 back for that as well. ? This is another reason I have now started reloading. I’m pretty well all setup now :)
Please see attached photo it tells a 1000 words cheers any advice appreciated.
Dossa
Attachments
676C01EA-FF4B-46FC-9CCF-1173FFF7A2CE.jpeg
676C01EA-FF4B-46FC-9CCF-1173FFF7A2CE.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Re: Returning ammo to LGS

Post by Bill » 17 Feb 2019, 5:56 pm

thats s**t, take it back and ask to speak to the owner, show him the worst stuff and tell him the problem and ask for an exchange for diff ammo, thats what Id do.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 17 Feb 2019, 6:01 pm

yes do take it back, it is very bad quality :thumbsdown:

do not let the store owner tell you he will contact the rep for the ammo and get back to you
it's the store's problem to get the rep to do something about it for them after the have either replaced the ammo or refunded you :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JSS » 17 Feb 2019, 6:13 pm

I took several boxes of ammo back a couple of weeks ago, there was nothing wrong with it, my rifle just hated it, my gunshop happily swapped it over for some different stuff.
I'm sure your LGS will sort it out without any hassle.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Feb 2019, 6:35 pm

That’s new?? Wtf??? Someone’s messing with you - check for hidden video cams when you go back in.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Feb 2019, 6:36 pm

That’s new?? Wtf??? Someone’s messing with you - check for hidden video cams when you go back in.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Feb 2019, 6:40 pm

Don't be shy Dossa, tell us the brand. My bet is Sellier and Bellot.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Dossa456 » 17 Feb 2019, 6:43 pm

Yea mate very disappointed wasn’t untill round 23 out of 100 I realised. Was getting low so grab this stuff as all they had in 222 and thought I’d put on paper first for obvious reasons. Glad I did coz it’s crap.
Reloading now so hopefully he can swap it out for powder or projectiles. Just not sure if I should push the friend ship with the LGS to refund the 20 I wasted trying to shoot a group under 4-5 inches lol I still have the targets. I just figured my rifle didn’t like it until the 23rd round. And noticed how deformed they were.
Put 3 rounds of the usual gear in and shot just over MoA of the back of the Ute.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Feb 2019, 7:55 pm

My money's on it being winchester tell me im wrong
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Feb 2019, 7:59 pm

marksman wrote:yes do take it back, it is very bad quality :thumbsdown:

do not let the store owner tell you he will contact the rep for the ammo and get back to you
it's the store's problem to get the rep to do something about it for them after the have either replaced the ammo or refunded you :thumbsup:

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 17 Feb 2019, 8:02 pm

Did you have the same experience Azza? lol
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Feb 2019, 8:22 pm

Mate i have bought a few winchester products over the last few years and each time its left a sour taste in my mouth. From 17hmr duds split necks galore 1 squib, 303 brass that won't hold primers, 223 rounds that have half the neck crushed from bullets seated 11 out of a 20 pack.

It doesnt matter what i have bought its all been junk. And given that from what ive seen i don't want to find a round that causes death. Now some people may ask me why i hate on winchester so much. The last two reps that i spoke to for better terms dont seem to have given a flying duck. One actually said s-/t happens no offer to replace the product or a refund. And from the emails i have sent they also dont bother to respond to either.

I understand that Olin the company that manufacturers winchester products has pulled out of Australia. I can say that im by no means supprised and i wont be missing them.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 17 Feb 2019, 8:56 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Mate i have bought a few winchester products over the last few years and each time its left a sour taste in my mouth. From 17hmr duds split necks galore 1 squib, 303 brass that won't hold primers, 223 rounds that have half the neck crushed from bullets seated 11 out of a 20 pack.

It doesnt matter what i have bought its all been junk. And given that from what ive seen i don't want to find a round that causes death. Now some people may ask me why i hate on winchester so much. The last two reps that i spoke to for better terms dont seem to have given a flying duck. One actually said s-/t happens no offer to replace the product or a refund. And from the emails i have sent they also dont bother to respond to either.

I understand that Olin the company that manufacturers winchester products has pulled out of Australia. I can say that im by no means supprised and i wont be missing them.

Winchester and raytrade have the same business model
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Feb 2019, 10:41 pm

Hry Dossa...
Yes return it...!! :thumbsup:

And yes...ask the question re the used stuff...
If the cases of the fired stuff are clearly in as poor conditiin, i think it should be fair for it to also be refunded... :thumbsup:
Its not like it should be fired-- :unknown: --given its condition it should be classed as unssfe ammo, & thus all you've done is dispose of it for them... :clap:
Also check the batch numbers...if they are the same & along with your targets, you should get a refund on the fired rounds regardless... (my moral opinion... :thumbsup: )
Hopefully the retailer is a moral & customer focussed one... :)

Good luck
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Feb 2019, 4:38 am

Absolutely return sub standard ammunition. When it comes to Winchester Ammunition, I worked out a while ago it’s generally crap. Except for their hollow points 22 hornet ammo. Amazingly accurate. Not cheap but. I had a mate with a sako 17 hmr and every second case split and jammed in his rifle with Winchester. He went to Hornady , no problem after that
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Dossa456 » 18 Feb 2019, 6:26 pm

Good news- my LGS took the ammo back inlcuding the empty cases, no worries at all he inspected a few and also said they are Crapola and was more then happy let me grab something of the same value, what I grabbed was a little extra and he said down worry about it. Today was a good day :)
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by JSS » 18 Feb 2019, 7:24 pm

Good to hear mate, i thought it would all go smoothly, gun people are usually a reasonable & helpful bunch. :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Feb 2019, 7:44 pm

Good news Dossa... :thumbsup:
Im having a beer in celebration... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 18 Feb 2019, 8:18 pm

Good result mate, good luck with the new ammo
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Dossa456 » 18 Feb 2019, 8:34 pm

Got all the gear and setup now to reload except the dies, :( they should be in the PO Box any day though. :) have the basics to get a round out the door into the safe so to speak. Been flat out the last few days setting up the room and bench a so any dodgie ammo from now I am to blame. Will get more bits n pieces as I go I am sure. Took me a while to get my head around manual scales I have two sets so have been practicing trying to achieve weights with objects lol- sounds dumb I know. I might buy some good electronic scales to give myself reassurance
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Stix » 18 Feb 2019, 10:03 pm

Dossa,
Unless you're spending decent money on electronic scales, you'll get more accuracy out of beam scales...
With the beam scales you can weigh down to each granule...
My experience with the cheaper end of electronic scales is they wander & they're only accurate to within a tenth of a grain.

Also, ALDI currently have digital calipers for $25...a bargain for the beginner reloader... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm

When I first started loading .222 I used 52gn matchkings and they were very accurate and good on foxes and rabbits but head shot roos would some times get back up as the bullet had passed straight through the nasal passages so I went to 50gn PSP and never had a problem again.If you wish to do target try the 52 gn Matchkings.Was the poor quality ammo Winchester????I have used a heap of Highland or PPU .222 and found it excellent and by pure chance it groups in the same spot as my reloads of 22.2 gn of 2208 with the Remington 50gn PSP
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:39 pm

When I first started loading .222 I used 52gn matchkings and they were very accurate and good on foxes and rabbits but head shot roos would some times get back up as the bullet had passed straight through the nasal passages so I went to 50gn PSP and never had a problem again.If you wish to do target try the 52 gn Matchkings.Was the poor quality ammo Winchester????I have used a heap of Highland or PPU .222 and found it excellent and by pure chance it groups in the same spot as my reloads of 22.2 gn of 2208 with the Remington 50gn PSP
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 5:41 am

Correct . I think using the manual scales is a phsycological thing at present being Generation Y , I am just so used to everything being electronic lol /
I’ve got at home some ar2207, 100 Sierra game kings. 250 ballistic noslers and 100 v max. All in 50 grainers. I’ll have a tinker in the next few days. My 222 work is mainly for Roos and foxes up this way. When I run out of ammo for the 22-250 and 270 I’ll be buying dies, projectiles and powder. Cheers for the advice much appreciated.
Last edited by Dossa456 on 11 Mar 2019, 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 5:56 am

I Should mention ^^^^ the Roos are on permits, if people havent worked out already I’m in grape vine region. :)
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 5:58 am

Stix haha you love ALDI- ive been meaning to get one of those moisteture absorber thingys too thanks for all the tips n all the help.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2019, 4:35 pm

Have a good look at the ADI loading data. With luck 1 powder will be listed for all of them, making life easy.

Consider Lee dies. Cheap and chearful.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 19 Feb 2019, 4:48 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Mate i have bought a few winchester products over the last few years and each time its left a sour taste in my mouth.

Not centrefire, but winchester RF ammo is the only ammo that fails to eject out of my little Savage .22. Won't be buying again.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Don't be shy Dossa, tell us the brand. My bet is Sellier and Bellot.

Gee, that's a bit hard on S & B; what's been your experience with them?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation