Returning ammo to LGS

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Returning ammo to LGS

Post by Bill » 18 Feb 2019, 8:18 pm

Good result mate, good luck with the new ammo
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Dossa456 » 18 Feb 2019, 8:34 pm

Got all the gear and setup now to reload except the dies, :( they should be in the PO Box any day though. :) have the basics to get a round out the door into the safe so to speak. Been flat out the last few days setting up the room and bench a so any dodgie ammo from now I am to blame. Will get more bits n pieces as I go I am sure. Took me a while to get my head around manual scales I have two sets so have been practicing trying to achieve weights with objects lol- sounds dumb I know. I might buy some good electronic scales to give myself reassurance
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Stix » 18 Feb 2019, 10:03 pm

Dossa,
Unless you're spending decent money on electronic scales, you'll get more accuracy out of beam scales...
With the beam scales you can weigh down to each granule...
My experience with the cheaper end of electronic scales is they wander & they're only accurate to within a tenth of a grain.

Also, ALDI currently have digital calipers for $25...a bargain for the beginner reloader... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm

When I first started loading .222 I used 52gn matchkings and they were very accurate and good on foxes and rabbits but head shot roos would some times get back up as the bullet had passed straight through the nasal passages so I went to 50gn PSP and never had a problem again.If you wish to do target try the 52 gn Matchkings.Was the poor quality ammo Winchester????I have used a heap of Highland or PPU .222 and found it excellent and by pure chance it groups in the same spot as my reloads of 22.2 gn of 2208 with the Remington 50gn PSP
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:39 pm

When I first started loading .222 I used 52gn matchkings and they were very accurate and good on foxes and rabbits but head shot roos would some times get back up as the bullet had passed straight through the nasal passages so I went to 50gn PSP and never had a problem again.If you wish to do target try the 52 gn Matchkings.Was the poor quality ammo Winchester????I have used a heap of Highland or PPU .222 and found it excellent and by pure chance it groups in the same spot as my reloads of 22.2 gn of 2208 with the Remington 50gn PSP
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 5:41 am

Correct . I think using the manual scales is a phsycological thing at present being Generation Y , I am just so used to everything being electronic lol /
I’ve got at home some ar2207, 100 Sierra game kings. 250 ballistic noslers and 100 v max. All in 50 grainers. I’ll have a tinker in the next few days. My 222 work is mainly for Roos and foxes up this way. When I run out of ammo for the 22-250 and 270 I’ll be buying dies, projectiles and powder. Cheers for the advice much appreciated.
Last edited by Dossa456 on 11 Mar 2019, 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 5:56 am

I Should mention ^^^^ the Roos are on permits, if people havent worked out already I’m in grape vine region. :)
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Dossa456 » 19 Feb 2019, 5:58 am

Stix haha you love ALDI- ive been meaning to get one of those moisteture absorber thingys too thanks for all the tips n all the help.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2019, 4:35 pm

Have a good look at the ADI loading data. With luck 1 powder will be listed for all of them, making life easy.

Consider Lee dies. Cheap and chearful.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 19 Feb 2019, 4:48 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Mate i have bought a few winchester products over the last few years and each time its left a sour taste in my mouth.

Not centrefire, but winchester RF ammo is the only ammo that fails to eject out of my little Savage .22. Won't be buying again.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Don't be shy Dossa, tell us the brand. My bet is Sellier and Bellot.

Gee, that's a bit hard on S & B; what's been your experience with them?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation