My phone is a deathtrap waiting to happen

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

My phone is a deathtrap waiting to happen

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2019, 12:13 pm

Anybody else find the same problem, and if so, any solutions ???
On these bright sunny days, unless I am inside the house, I can't see or define anything on my phone. :wtf:
It's like a freakin black mirror outside.

Even in a vehicle and hold it in the shaded areas I still can't see anything on the screen (only very vaguely), and when you've got one of those infernal robots saying "press1 for xxx, press 2 for xxx press 3 for xxx" then you hear,,,,,, sorry i did not get a proper response, goodbye. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I spend an awful lot of time in the bush and out in the paddocks,,, and just wonder how I will fare if one day I get nailed by a snake or have something nasty happen to me.
Being on my own, this blasted phone isn't gonna be worth a c**t full of cold water, and nobody is gonna hear me if I start yelling and screaming. :thumbsdown:

Anybody else have the same issues ? :unknown:

Thought provoking isn't it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: My phone is a deathtrap waiting to happen

Post by pomemax » 21 Feb 2019, 12:22 pm

To the point where you hiding under a tarp just to see the phone it does get on your nerves .
the other thing is your out in a remote area on you own and no coverage and all of a sudden you need it .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Feb 2019, 12:38 pm

You might want to get one of these Ed

https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/spot ... DAQAvD_BwE
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chappo » 21 Feb 2019, 1:22 pm

Or one of these :) :D :lol: :lol:
Attachments
88DBEDBF-E257-4645-BC19-204B6919FF03.jpeg
88DBEDBF-E257-4645-BC19-204B6919FF03.jpeg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Feb 2019, 1:22 pm

bigfellascott wrote:You might want to get one of these Ed

If you want something for an absolute emergency, get a PLB. The SOS message with a SPOT goes via a third party back to AMSA. The SOS from a PLB goes directly to AMSA. That can save precious time which is essential when someone's life is in the balance. However, the Spot does allow you to preprogram up to 3 messages and chose the recipients of each message (email and/or text), as well as having a live tracking function and the SOS message. That makes it a good option if you want to be able to send a message that you need help, but it's not a life threatening situation, or want to keep in touch with loved ones (having a great time, all good) when in a remote area. The spot will send a GPS location and link to a map with every message.

Re being able to read your phone screen in daylight, are you sure you can't turn the brightness up?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2019, 1:54 pm

The last bit

^^^^^ this I have 2 Samsung's and no problems
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 Feb 2019, 2:24 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:You might want to get one of these Ed

If you want something for an absolute emergency, get a PLB. The SOS message with a SPOT goes via a third party back to AMSA. The SOS from a PLB goes directly to AMSA. That can save precious time which is essential when someone's life is in the balance. However, the Spot does allow you to preprogram up to 3 messages and chose the recipients of each message (email and/or text), as well as having a live tracking function and the SOS message. That makes it a good option if you want to be able to send a message that you need help, but it's not a life threatening situation, or want to keep in touch with loved ones (having a great time, all good) when in a remote area. The spot will send a GPS location and link to a map with every message.

Re being able to read your phone screen in daylight, are you sure you can't turn the brightness up?

PLB is a great idea, although be aware not all send a gps position, and still rely on triangulation from the satellites. Still fairly accurate with the digital signal unlike the old analogue beacons. Once activated the signal goes via satellite to the local user terminals, one in WA, the other in QLD, from there it goes to the Rescue Coordination Centre in Canberra. The RCC then allocate resources to search for the beacon, typically a helicopter. Good news if you’re in the middle of nowhere as we often are.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 21 Feb 2019, 2:27 pm

Not trying to insult anyone’s intelligence but polarised sunnies will also render a screen unreadable.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2019, 2:49 pm

JimTom wrote:Not trying to insult anyone’s intelligence but polarised sunnies will also render a screen unreadable.

It's less of a problem if yo hold the ph horizontal
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 21 Feb 2019, 2:57 pm

I am not 100% certain but I believe polarising can be either vertical or horizontal so looking at it in the opposite plane will work as you suggested mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Feb 2019, 2:59 pm

Also not wanting to patronize, but have you checked your screen brightness level in settings, I have mine on auto so the more light falling on it the brighter it gets, to a point.
Obviously there will always be somewhere with overbright light conditions.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 21 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

deye243 wrote:
JimTom wrote:Not trying to insult anyone’s intelligence but polarised sunnies will also render a screen unreadable.

It's less of a problem if yo hold the ph horizontal

Or in my wife's case, turn your head sideways :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2019, 4:46 pm

Thanks fellas, I did check the brightness on the screen, and it was down a bit. (not much tho)
Turned it up as bright as it would go, it has improved things ever so slightly, but still useless in the bright of day.
Its just a mongrel of a phone ,,,,, put out by Optus

Think I'll look into another one.
I wish you could still get the "good" flip phones, they were great but the only ones available now are real cheap and nasty.
Or, better yet,,,,, pre screen days with "real" buttons like the good ol Nokia Brick.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JSS » 21 Feb 2019, 6:19 pm

These are very simple to use and will work perfectly in bright sunlight :D

can string phone.jpg
can string phone.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Feb 2019, 6:34 pm

On a serious note. This is a problem for any glossy screen, including lap tops. I believe you can get screen protectors that are non-glossy. Only a few dollars on eBay. Might be worth a try.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Feb 2019, 6:40 pm

What phone is it?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2019, 7:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:On a serious note. This is a problem for any glossy screen, including lap tops. I believe you can get screen protectors that are non-glossy. Only a few dollars on eBay. Might be worth a try.

I'm wondering if this might be a contributing factor,, maybe i should peel mine off and try it without.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2019, 7:24 pm

Ziad wrote:What phone is it?

It is an Optus X Phone.
Don't ask me what the X stands for,,,,,, I havn't got a clue, and I don't think Optus do either.
When I've taken it in to any of the Optus shops, the staff seem to know b*gger all about it themselves. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Feb 2019, 7:47 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:On a serious note. This is a problem for any glossy screen, including lap tops. I believe you can get screen protectors that are non-glossy. Only a few dollars on eBay. Might be worth a try.

I'm wondering if this might be a contributing factor,, maybe i should peel mine off and try it without.

Perhaps worth a try. But most screens are very glossy, so got my doubts.

If it dosnt help just buy a non glossy and try it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Feb 2019, 8:28 pm

Its mostly just about brightness...

The amount of light put out by a back lit screen is completely washed out by the suns rays bouncing around...

A non-reflective screen may help somewhat, but will mostly just be harder to see a reflection in it...& you may just get a haze from many angles instead of a reflection from one or 2 angles, still making it hard to see...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Feb 2019, 11:25 pm

Optus x...... Nate just get a slightly better phone like an oppo or Samsung..... or that crap fruitcake one
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation