The Cat's outta the bag.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The Cat's outta the bag.

Post by Daddybang » 24 Feb 2019, 5:07 pm

Blr243 wrote:I think I might after every service and after every visit to the tyre fitters personally check the nuts by hand myself ......there’s thing s we should not necessarily have to check when we are supposed to be employing pros but it just might save me some grief and/ or my life

Yep :thumbsup:
Every now and then after changing tires no matter who did it I run a socket and bar over them for the first couple of days. A habit I developed from dad :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Feb 2019, 5:18 pm

Mate tbh let them try the courts you have a report from an independent mechanic.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 24 Feb 2019, 7:44 pm

Not trying to be an Ahole Die Judicii but, I was taught to always check/re-tighten wheel nuts a hundred k's up the road. Did you do that? Just asking not trying to start any s**t.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 8:31 pm

Stoney wrote:Not trying to be an Ahole Die Judicii but, I was taught to always check/re-tighten wheel nuts a hundred k's up the road. Did you do that? Just asking not trying to start any s**t.

When I picked the vehicle up, and paid em, I asked when they should be rotated, and if there was anything else I needed to do.

I was told that every 10,000 klms they should be rotated, and that there was a sticker on the windscreen next to the normal service sticker to remind me.
In asking,,,, it was in the back of my mind about checking the tensions, but they didn't say it was necessary.
I guess when you pay professionals to do a job,, you tend to think they know best.

So, to answer your question Mate,,,,,,,,,, No I did not. (lesson learn't now, once bitten twice shy) :friends:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 24 Feb 2019, 9:50 pm

So much old school information never gets passed on these days unfortunately. Not being an Ahole once again mate, but if they were professionals the first thing they would have told you was to re-tension the wheel nuts when you get up the road a ways. Rotation of the tyres for extended tread life is literally not even comprehended these days.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Feb 2019, 10:39 pm

On trucks they have tell tales with little arrows on the nuts - you can see at a glance if a nut is coming undone - wtf don’t the employ that system on cars...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Feb 2019, 11:08 pm

Seriously you are being an hole. Not everyone had mechanical knowledge mate, most people don't know one end ok of a spanner from another.

And if the shop was dodgy enough to not recheck the nuts, then it wouldn't have told the guy. Secondly if you are not mechanical in nature, it might take 10/20mins to show and teach every customer how yo then and how much to tighten the wheel nuts.... and what if the customer is a female (yes some are very good, but generally many females have no idea of mechanical)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2019, 8:00 am

Ziad wrote:Seriously you are being an hole. Not everyone had mechanical knowledge mate, most people don't know one end ok of a spanner from another.

Hardly being an qrsehole stoney simply asked dj a question and if dj has learnt something and obviously wasn't offended then it's a good outcome. :roll:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 25 Feb 2019, 8:22 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Ziad wrote:Mate, I would pay it up on social media, if they have a Facebook page. If it's a franchise then their as well as their main franchise page, etc..

Unfortunately ,,, that's the a quick way to end up in court these days.
Businesses can do all sorts of sh!t,,,,,,,,, but if you speak up, their legal eagles drag you into court so freakin fast,,, and they claim defamation, and loss of earnings.

Yeah Nah, post it on their Facebook page, if theyve done the wrong thing and you have reports they would have to be dumb to instigate a legal showdown.

Most small business and franchises dont really give too hoots about Faceache, custom workshops who need positive stuff would thou.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 25 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

Ive a had a workshop fail to tighten rear wheel on a custom cruiser, lucky for me the vibration started occurring when I hit 80kmh, manage to brake and come to a sudden stop but the wheel came completely off and damaged 2 studs badly. They were good enough to acknowledge the f*** up and replace all 6 studs. I now makes sure a torque wrench is put over each rim now when tyres are done on any vehicle of mine
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2019, 8:29 am

Ziad wrote:Seriously you are being an hole. Not everyone had mechanical knowledge mate, most people don't know one end ok of a spanner from another.

And if the shop was dodgy enough to not recheck the nuts, then it wouldn't have told the guy. Secondly if you are not mechanical in nature, it might take 10/20mins to show and teach every customer how yo then and how much to tighten the wheel nuts.... and what if the customer is a female (yes some are very good, but generally many females have no idea of mechanical)

Geez mate, stoney raised some valid points , tried to be diplomatic about it as well. I think you’re being a bit harsh . Myself, I was in the hot rod scene for years, doing all manner of restoration and mechanical work. And their are a lot of bodgies in the game I’ll tell ya. Every time I went into a local tyre service , just for tyres and they were cheap, I’d get the lines. Ya brakes need replacing, your engine mounts are stuffed. I actually called them on it one day in front of customers to show me and they declined. Always get a second opinion if you can. Doctors are worse.... :? As for old mate who had the wheel fall of the car, if you can find a “no win, no fee” lawyer who’ll take it on, I’d sue the mongrels. It’s probably not the first time they’ve done it to someone either
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Feb 2019, 5:14 pm

It's all good Mate,, it was in the back of my mind about double checking, but for some reason that day I didn't because the tire shop didn't even suggest I should check em ( my bad ) .
I have been around the trap lines quite a few times in the years, and shoulda,,,,,,,,,,, but didn't.

Stoney did raise the valid point,, and I didn't take any offence whatever on the fact that he did. :thumbsup:
As he stated,,,,, a lot of people (specially of latter years) haven't got a clue.

To rub salt into my own wound,,,, I actually carry a torque wrench at all times in the vehicle. :thumbsdown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Feb 2019, 5:18 pm

I'd still have a go at getting your excess back DJ, as someone else pointed out, you have an independent report that states the nuts were negligently fitted.

I'm actually surprised if the insurer wouldn't take to them to recover their money.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Feb 2019, 6:53 pm

Insurer won't, extra work and die has paid the excess already. So they will just move on.

I'd be more worried about loss of your no claim bonus. I am with GIO and my insurance went up 400 bucks per car after my momentary lapse of mental capacity.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Feb 2019, 9:53 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I'd still have a go at getting your excess back DJ, as someone else pointed out, you have an independent report that states the nuts were negligently fitted.

I'm actually surprised if the insurer wouldn't take to them to recover their money.

Gaz and Ziad,,,,,,,

I did say previously,,,,,,,, that the insurance company have backed me to the extent that they reimbursed me the excess of $650 one hundred percent.

They said that it was very clear to them as to where the blame lay,,, but to take the tire company to court when they refused to accept liability could be lengthy and involved to the point I guess they just thought they'd bow out,,,, but at the same time look after me.

:thumbsup: :drinks: :friends:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 26 Feb 2019, 7:09 am

Yep pays to read the posts properly. .
I've made the same mistake a couple of times!!!!!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2019, 8:43 am

Bugger me, so you did, DJ.

Pardon my illiteracy :lol:
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Feb 2019, 6:08 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Bugger me, so you did, DJ.

That's quite OK Gaz,,,,,,,,,,, lookin closely at yer Avatar, it's a wonder you can talk or write at all. :lol: :lol: :friends:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2019, 6:40 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:Bugger me, so you did, DJ.

That's quite OK Gaz,,,,,,,,,,, lookin closely at yer Avatar, it's a wonder you can talk or write at all. :lol: :lol: :friends:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You should see what's going on out of shot to make my eyes bug like that :lol: :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation