The Cat's outta the bag.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The Cat's outta the bag.

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2019, 10:34 pm

Ok, here's what happened.
While down south over the Xmas period I decided to get new tires for the trip home (just on 2,000 klms)
So I shopped around for a set of Coopers, and eventually got a real good quote from a particular tire place.
Made the decision and booked it in.
Day came, and new Coopers were fitted, and to do the job properly, also had a wheel alignment done.
Payment made, we headed for home.
Got home, and unloaded the ute and the trailer, and then relaxed.
Had been home for just on a fortnight and my ute had just sat in the carport for this period.

We had done several trips into town for groceries etc, and had used my partners car.

Then I bought a spare parts washer, and we took the ute to go pick it up.

We were on our way home with the parts washer and my partner was driving.
As we were coming through a little country town, she said to me "Why is the steering vibrating ?"

I reached across and touched the steering wheel and felt vibration, then before I could say anything much, the passenger side front wheel fell off and the vehicle nose dived into the bitumin.
We skated along on the brake disc and hub for just on 50 meters and came to rest on the side of the road.

Luckily because of the town we were only doing 60 kph at the time the wheel came off.

Called the insurance company and they organised a tow truck.
When arrived the Towie took a look and said "AH ha,,,,, New Tires, and wheel nuts not tightened."
I said yes,, but that was just on 2,000 klms ago when they were fitted.
The Towie said yeah, I've picked up cars in the same situation before,, and its amazing that they all seem to have done similar mileage when the wheel or wheels fall off.

The ute was loaded up and taken to the nearest Toyota Dealership for repairs (organised by the insurance company)
The next day, I had to fork out $650 for the excess.
The day after that I get a phone call from the Toyota Dealership and was informed that they had checked the other 3 wheels and found that ALL of the wheel nuts were only finger tight.
As well, because they had not been tightened properly all the stud holes in all the mag wheels had been damaged, and a complete new set was needed, on top of the other damages.

A week later, I get my ute back, and the total damage account had ended up being $2,757.40

The insurance company contacted the tire company that fitted the new tires, in relation to the damage sustained.
Even though the Toyota Dealership had put in a complete report on the damage and their findings as to a causative factor, the Tire company refused to accept liability.

NOT because of the mileage done since the tires were fitted, but because of the time elapsed before the wheel fell off. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Yeah righto,, I'm penalized for NOT driving my ute for a fortnight. REALLY ??????? :wtf: :crazy:

Anyway, the tire company b@stards walk away smellin like a bunch of cheap flowers, and I'm out of pocket $650.00 and still wondering about the fact that we could've so easily been doing 100 or 110 kph and slid straight into a B double truck, due to their f*cking carelessness.

The insurance company have been really good though,,, and have agreed with me, to the point that they have reimbursed me my excess.

Congrats and a big THANK YOU to SHANNONS INSURANCE.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: The Cat's outta the bag.

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 11:15 pm

And the name of the there place was ..... you can pm me if you want
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 12:08 am

deye243 wrote:And the name of the there place was ..... you can pm me if you want

Suffice to say,,,,,, Not in your state Mate, so your safe. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 Feb 2019, 1:14 am

Just as long as it wasn't fnq or adalade I got relos there
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Feb 2019, 4:32 am

Glad to see it didn't end up being a death sentence Ed, it's amazing how careless people can be. I love the tyre places that put the nuts on that hard it nearly results in ya intestines coming out ya arse when you go to change a tyre!

My mate owns a mechanics workshop and he's very particular how he does things like putting tyres on, he actually uses a torques wrench, they don't need to be done up to a 1000 fp/in like some do em when using rattle guns!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Feb 2019, 4:35 am

It might be worth sending a letter of complaint and copies of the insurance report to the companies head office (I assume one of those franchise companies we are all familiar with) especially since this mob clearly don't give a rats arse about their customers.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Strikey » 24 Feb 2019, 6:33 am

Did you happen to see how they tightened the wheel nuts? Nearly every time the tyrefitters these days with their rattleguns just start with one nut and go around the nuts instead of tightening them in a diagonal pattern, this I believe is why the nuts loosen after a while, I have a habit of rechecking after getting new tyres fitted.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 24 Feb 2019, 7:03 am

Fantastic to see the insurers doin the righty!!
:drinks:
Had ny front wheel almost come off a couple of days ago but it was rhe upper control arm ball joint let go. ..not fun at all!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Feb 2019, 8:11 am

Mate, I would pay it up on social media, if they have a Facebook page. If it's a franchise then their as well as their main franchise page, etc.

Shame them so they kick the arse of the apprentice who did your work.

I knew a mechanic who had a kid who was forgetful, they rechecked all his work before letting the cat get out of the shop. He was eventually left, and they probably finally able to relax.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Feb 2019, 8:29 am

Devils advocate - some kid one night was looking to steal some wheels.
First things first - get nuts loose ready for jacks...s**t, someone’s coming...go... leave this one.

How can you be sure something insane like this didn’t happen somewhere...or at least, that’s how they could justify their s**ty lack of responsibility.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Lifesaride » 24 Feb 2019, 9:56 am

bigfellascott wrote:Glad to see it didn't end up being a death sentence Ed, it's amazing how careless people can be. I love the tyre places that put the nuts on that hard it nearly results in ya intestines coming out ya arse when you go to change a tyre!

My mate owns a mechanics workshop and he's very particular how he does things like putting tyres on, he actually uses a torques wrench, they don't need to be done up to a 1000 fp/in like some do em when using rattle guns!

I can’t stand rattle guns on wheel nuts. When over tightened, you end up with stretched wheel studs too, which also allows lossening of wheel nuts and/or loosing of wheels.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 10:18 am

bigfellascott wrote:Glad to see it didn't end up being a death sentence Ed, It so easily could've Mate.

it's amazing how careless people can be. I love the tyre places that put the nuts on that hard it nearly results in ya intestines coming out ya arse when you go to change a tyre! Yep. some of em go from one extreme to the other.To be absolutely correct, every vehicle make and model has it's own recommended torque settings, and there is no such thing as "one size fits all"

If I have to change a wheel for any reason that's what I use too, a good quality torque wrench.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 10:20 am

bigfellascott wrote:It might be worth sending a letter of complaint and copies of the insurance report to the companies head office (I assume one of those franchise companies we are all familiar with) especially since this mob clearly don't give a rats arse about their customers.

Not a bad thought Mate
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 10:23 am

Strikey wrote:Did you happen to see how they tightened the wheel nuts? Nearly every time the tyrefitters these days with their rattleguns just start with one nut and go around the nuts instead of tightening them in a diagonal pattern, this I believe is why the nuts loosen after a while, I have a habit of rechecking after getting new tyres fitted.

No I didn't Mate, I left it with em, and they phoned me when it was ready.
And,,,,,,,,, believe me, I will be checking with the torque wrench from now on.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Feb 2019, 10:26 am

Glad you survived DJ.

Happened to me too Tas, not as bad though.
I'll take slack tyre place over phantom wheel thief.
I noticed a vibration after having my steering pump and box replaced.
I too had gone home, 40km on the highway and was going back to town.
It got worse as I slowed down so I suspected nuts straight away, and pulled up.
I had lost one on my left front, one was only on by a couple of threads and all the rest on all 4 were only finger tight.
I asked the mechanic who did the alignment after his work and went and visited them.
I was treated like a halfwit, "we always use a breaker bar to tighten them" I was told, in the condescending tone used for backward children.
Range Rover Classics with alloys are fitted with big 27mm bronze nuts with a locking ring and as Scott suggests you wiil be likely to give yourself a prolapse trying to get them loose with anything less than the big breaker I carry.
I told the little maggot at the tyre place I wasn't looking for compensation or a gobby, just that he make sure in future.
I was told they knew what they were doing and dismissed.
Totally coincidentally, I had 4 new KO2s fitted yesterday and was heartened to see the guys doing as I had asked and using the breaker until the locking ring gave the slight crack that announces they ain't coming off.
I got 92,000 out of my old BFG ATs, and they still have enough meat on them to put on the camper trailer project I am going to finish.
One day.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 10:28 am

Ziad wrote:Mate, I would pay it up on social media, if they have a Facebook page. If it's a franchise then their as well as their main franchise page, etc..

Unfortunately ,,, that's the a quick way to end up in court these days.
Businesses can do all sorts of sh!t,,,,,,,,, but if you speak up, their legal eagles drag you into court so freakin fast,,, and they claim defamation, and loss of earnings.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 10:43 am

TassieTiger wrote:Devils advocate - some kid one night was looking to steal some wheels.
First things first - get nuts loose ready for jacks...s**t, someone’s coming...go... leave this one.

How can you be sure something insane like this didn’t happen somewhere...or at least, that’s how they could justify their s**ty lack of responsibility.

Mate,,,,,,,, in my particular case anyone would have a hard (and painful) time trying to pull a stunt like that.

I have recorded video surveillance cameras, in all areas where my dogs can't get to, and then the dogs themselves.
(A military trained German Shepard,,,, and the "black queen",, the Rottie)
These dogs start growling and barking the moment a car or anyone comes through the front gate,, and that's 600 meters away.

I wish I could hear and smell as good as they do. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Feb 2019, 1:19 pm

I think I might after every service and after every visit to the tyre fitters personally check the nuts by hand myself ......there’s thing s we should not necessarily have to check when we are supposed to be employing pros but it just might save me some grief and/ or my life
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 24 Feb 2019, 5:07 pm

Blr243 wrote:I think I might after every service and after every visit to the tyre fitters personally check the nuts by hand myself ......there’s thing s we should not necessarily have to check when we are supposed to be employing pros but it just might save me some grief and/ or my life

Yep :thumbsup:
Every now and then after changing tires no matter who did it I run a socket and bar over them for the first couple of days. A habit I developed from dad :D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Feb 2019, 5:18 pm

Mate tbh let them try the courts you have a report from an independent mechanic.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 24 Feb 2019, 7:44 pm

Not trying to be an Ahole Die Judicii but, I was taught to always check/re-tighten wheel nuts a hundred k's up the road. Did you do that? Just asking not trying to start any s**t.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 8:31 pm

Stoney wrote:Not trying to be an Ahole Die Judicii but, I was taught to always check/re-tighten wheel nuts a hundred k's up the road. Did you do that? Just asking not trying to start any s**t.

When I picked the vehicle up, and paid em, I asked when they should be rotated, and if there was anything else I needed to do.

I was told that every 10,000 klms they should be rotated, and that there was a sticker on the windscreen next to the normal service sticker to remind me.
In asking,,,, it was in the back of my mind about checking the tensions, but they didn't say it was necessary.
I guess when you pay professionals to do a job,, you tend to think they know best.

So, to answer your question Mate,,,,,,,,,, No I did not. (lesson learn't now, once bitten twice shy) :friends:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 24 Feb 2019, 9:50 pm

So much old school information never gets passed on these days unfortunately. Not being an Ahole once again mate, but if they were professionals the first thing they would have told you was to re-tension the wheel nuts when you get up the road a ways. Rotation of the tyres for extended tread life is literally not even comprehended these days.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Feb 2019, 10:39 pm

On trucks they have tell tales with little arrows on the nuts - you can see at a glance if a nut is coming undone - wtf don’t the employ that system on cars...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Feb 2019, 11:08 pm

Seriously you are being an hole. Not everyone had mechanical knowledge mate, most people don't know one end ok of a spanner from another.

And if the shop was dodgy enough to not recheck the nuts, then it wouldn't have told the guy. Secondly if you are not mechanical in nature, it might take 10/20mins to show and teach every customer how yo then and how much to tighten the wheel nuts.... and what if the customer is a female (yes some are very good, but generally many females have no idea of mechanical)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2019, 8:00 am

Ziad wrote:Seriously you are being an hole. Not everyone had mechanical knowledge mate, most people don't know one end ok of a spanner from another.

Hardly being an qrsehole stoney simply asked dj a question and if dj has learnt something and obviously wasn't offended then it's a good outcome. :roll:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 25 Feb 2019, 8:22 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Ziad wrote:Mate, I would pay it up on social media, if they have a Facebook page. If it's a franchise then their as well as their main franchise page, etc..

Unfortunately ,,, that's the a quick way to end up in court these days.
Businesses can do all sorts of sh!t,,,,,,,,, but if you speak up, their legal eagles drag you into court so freakin fast,,, and they claim defamation, and loss of earnings.

Yeah Nah, post it on their Facebook page, if theyve done the wrong thing and you have reports they would have to be dumb to instigate a legal showdown.

Most small business and franchises dont really give too hoots about Faceache, custom workshops who need positive stuff would thou.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 25 Feb 2019, 8:28 am

Ive a had a workshop fail to tighten rear wheel on a custom cruiser, lucky for me the vibration started occurring when I hit 80kmh, manage to brake and come to a sudden stop but the wheel came completely off and damaged 2 studs badly. They were good enough to acknowledge the f*** up and replace all 6 studs. I now makes sure a torque wrench is put over each rim now when tyres are done on any vehicle of mine
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Feb 2019, 8:29 am

Ziad wrote:Seriously you are being an hole. Not everyone had mechanical knowledge mate, most people don't know one end ok of a spanner from another.

And if the shop was dodgy enough to not recheck the nuts, then it wouldn't have told the guy. Secondly if you are not mechanical in nature, it might take 10/20mins to show and teach every customer how yo then and how much to tighten the wheel nuts.... and what if the customer is a female (yes some are very good, but generally many females have no idea of mechanical)

Geez mate, stoney raised some valid points , tried to be diplomatic about it as well. I think you’re being a bit harsh . Myself, I was in the hot rod scene for years, doing all manner of restoration and mechanical work. And their are a lot of bodgies in the game I’ll tell ya. Every time I went into a local tyre service , just for tyres and they were cheap, I’d get the lines. Ya brakes need replacing, your engine mounts are stuffed. I actually called them on it one day in front of customers to show me and they declined. Always get a second opinion if you can. Doctors are worse.... :? As for old mate who had the wheel fall of the car, if you can find a “no win, no fee” lawyer who’ll take it on, I’d sue the mongrels. It’s probably not the first time they’ve done it to someone either
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Feb 2019, 5:14 pm

It's all good Mate,, it was in the back of my mind about double checking, but for some reason that day I didn't because the tire shop didn't even suggest I should check em ( my bad ) .
I have been around the trap lines quite a few times in the years, and shoulda,,,,,,,,,,, but didn't.

Stoney did raise the valid point,, and I didn't take any offence whatever on the fact that he did. :thumbsup:
As he stated,,,,, a lot of people (specially of latter years) haven't got a clue.

To rub salt into my own wound,,,, I actually carry a torque wrench at all times in the vehicle. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation