Any hunters / shooters maintaining license on active duty?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Any hunters / shooters maintaining license on active duty?

Post by the_trash_man » 16 Mar 2019, 9:10 am

G'day, first time posting here
Im enlisting into the Army 2nd half of 2019, but also really want to take up specifically hunting and target shooting.
Has anyone got experience in holding a license and owning a rifle while serving full time? Is it a bit difficult with having to move between states, going out bush, police inspections etc?
Would the state have an issue with me keeping firearms at a club in Victoria while being active duty in other states?
Cheers
the_trash_man
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Any hunters active duty?

Post by CAVEMAN » 16 Mar 2019, 9:37 am

Its easy enough. You only move every 2-3 years possibly even longer depending on job/role. If you live on base you must seek approval through CO to store weapons in unit armory (not a great method as they will be played with on every armory count).

But in reality its just like any other job that you spend some time away from home. Inspections if your not there your not there for a valid reason and i believe the police would understand and and be workable to it.

Had mates who did exactly that kept weapons in other states, and didn't seem to be a big deal.

What roles are you going in as?
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by the_trash_man » 16 Mar 2019, 9:47 am

CAVEMAN wrote:Its easy enough. You only move every 2-3 years possibly even longer depending on job/role. If you live on base you must seek approval through CO to store weapons in unit armory (not a great method as they will be played with on every armory count).

But in reality its just like any other job that you spend some time away from home. Inspections if your not there your not there for a valid reason and i believe the police would understand and and be workable to it.

Had mates who did exactly that kept weapons in other states, and didn't seem to be a big deal.

What roles are you going in as?

Im going in as Infantry
Yeah moving around might be a nightmare applying for a license in each state, i think i like the idea of keeping them at a club in Vic

Cheers
the_trash_man
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 16 Mar 2019, 10:43 am

Well plan on being in townsville, or darwin if your lucky you might get Adelaide or bris. But it's not hard transferring licences. People do it every posting cycle.

And your first posting should be atleast 3 years so may as well get comfy and find some hobies there, instead of running back home all the time.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 17 Mar 2019, 9:58 pm

Have clocked up 38yrs in the Service. Only had a rifle in the base armoiry when I was at Wagga on trade course back '81.

Yes you can keep your firearms in the unit armouries & as has been said, will be handled by others doing the regular audits. Ammo is a different story though. Another option is to see who in your unit has their own firearms in their MQ (Married Quarter) & get to know them with the hope they will store your firearms & ammo.

What you will find is a pain, is having to transfer licenses/registration every time you move to a different state. Not to mention costly!
You will have to re-do the firearms safety couse each time as well as the different states won't acknowledge that you've done it in your loosing state.

It's a pain but not impossible.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation