Smoke Alarm

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Smoke Alarm

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Mar 2019, 7:18 pm

Our Smoke Alarm sounded once last night for maybe half a minute. Then it stopped. After installing new batteries in all of them this pm, one started peeping every 30 secs. They had all been "tested" by pressing the middle button and all passed. The "peeper" had its new battery replaced by another new battery :( Still kept peeping. :cry: Long story short, after removing battery No. 2 I left the lid hanging open while trying to dismantle it (the lid). In the process It dawned on me that the peeping had stopped :D That was over an hour ago and all's well.

Out of interest, I would love to know why leaving the lid open, stopped the peeping. But that alarm is supposed to have a battery, even though it is hard wired. So how do I make it functional again please, dear Sirs/Ladies?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Smoke Alarm

Post by Chappo » 21 Mar 2019, 7:37 pm

Blow the dust out of it.
Sparky told me once that they are very sensitive and dust in them can bugger with the sensors.
I’ve had a few over the years get temperamental and cleaning them out seems to fix 4 out of 5.
If it still plays up then replace it.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Smoke Alarm

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Mar 2019, 12:29 pm

Well well well :) Thank you Chappo :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland