Question for the carpenter/ handy man

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Question for the carpenter/ handy man

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2019, 6:04 pm

I’d just like to say on some type of official type forum - VJ pine line can get rooted. I hate it. It bends in 6 dimensions and doesn’t ever line up...some boards don’t have a groove, some don’t have a tounge, some have 50/50...that being said, one wall done...I hate it. I hate it. I’m going to farkin shoot it!
Attachments
4400BF7A-8753-47DC-8F70-A91F0E49CED6.jpeg
4400BF7A-8753-47DC-8F70-A91F0E49CED6.jpeg (122.99 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
2F66D14F-8ABF-4E12-BA04-C41CCFC1392D.jpeg
2F66D14F-8ABF-4E12-BA04-C41CCFC1392D.jpeg (128.26 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2019, 4:29 am

TassieTiger wrote:I’d just like to say on some type of official type forum - VJ pine line can get rooted. I hate it. It bends in 6 dimensions and doesn’t ever line up...some boards don’t have a groove, some don’t have a tounge, some have 50/50...that being said, one wall done...I hate it. I hate it. I’m going to farkin shoot it!

Looks like you got a very nice result though :-)
I've found with any T&G flooring it's worth paying more for best quality. We bought a pile of 300mm teak T&G tiles cheap left over from a big job to do the whole house. What a nightmare that was! We ended up having to cut them to size and recut the tongues and grooves on a router table. The result was nice but the job was several times more work than it should've been.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Apr 2019, 6:56 am

Your 100% correct. Same going on here...and same with the actual body of the container.
I bought a middle ground container thinking it would be straight but it has dents in it in many places...dents that mean nothing at first glance but mean everything when trying to string line the studs on the walls...you save some money buying less than perfect but then spend more time getting things right...
At the end of the day, this will be a stay over base camp / office / maybe even an air bnb if ppl are game lol, so I want it reasonable but it doesn’t need to be perfect...that being said...when Stix ends up getting to tassie for his first fallow hunt in the snow, he will need somewhere warm to get back too :-)

I did say a while back I’d open it up to some like minded members on here for an empty case from their fav rifle.

Was also pointed out to me - with the insulation in the walls, roof and sisolation being used as well, it’s not going to need much of a heater - so need to be careful I don’t turn it into an oven...meaning my initial pot belly stove idea is out...not sure how to fix that. It will have at least 850 amps of battery for lighting so maybe a small electric heater might work and I’ll just have a big wood heater out the front under the edge of verandah...or some how, maybe run the flu over the outside fire, somehow into and out of the container, put some baffles inside the container flu section, that will warm up...hmmmm....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2019, 1:39 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Was also pointed out to me - with the insulation in the walls, roof and sisolation being used as well, it’s not going to need much of a heater - so need to be careful I don’t turn it into an oven...meaning my initial pot belly stove idea is out...not sure how to fix that. It will have at least 850 amps of battery for lighting so maybe a small electric heater might work and I’ll just have a big wood heater out the front under the edge of verandah...or some how, maybe run the flu over the outside fire, somehow into and out of the container, put some baffles inside the container flu section, that will warm up...hmmmm....

Wind a copper coil around the flu leading to a tank and you'll have hot water all the time the fire is going. It's how we heat our water here. We have a huge copper tank hidden in a faux pantry in the kitchen, and a smaller header tank in the roof space to feed the shower. Hot water rises, cooler water falls, so heat the water at the bottom, as it warms it moves up and displaces cooler water to the bottom. We used something similar on Cadet camps, a coil thrown in the fire feeding into a tank. No pumps required.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Apr 2019, 10:35 pm

Sounds like you guys are talking code for making a smoker...or...or a Whisky still... :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Apr 2019, 9:13 am

Magic no is 78 degs C :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation