So the Saudis are joining in too.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: So the Saudis are joining in too.

Post by JSS » 08 Apr 2019, 2:49 pm

Bill wrote:So JSS what's your actual point here?

Your not politically active, are you happy with Brtttish ownership but not Chinese?

Please Explain.....

I've been pretty clear from the start, my original comment and point is it's a bad government policy to allow foreign ownership of Australian land & assets, and this means to ANYONE,OF ANY COUNTRY OR RACE, Because it simply isn't in the best interest of our country as a whole. The fact that it's been going on forever doesn't excuse it or make it a good thing.
I never mentioned the Chinese except to use them as an example of having a good foreign ownership policy and being smart operators.
Ziad is the one who brought up & tried to infer my (and others) point was about the Chinese or people who weren't white when he tried to turn it into a racial thing like he always does.
Just like how you jumped in with your first post defending the farmer. I never blamed or said anything negative about the farmer, not once!! My position has been the same start to finish "Bad Australian Government Policy".
Have a good read of the whole thing start to finish if you're unclear.

I can't make my point any clearer or simpler than i already have, so by all means have a differing opinion but please don't try to make up false arguments about things that weren't said just to use as ammo to try and justify your stance.
As for me i'm tapping out now because when people stop reading what's written and start making their own narrative on what others say there's no point in going on, and everyone becomes a loser.
Cheers :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 08 Apr 2019, 6:32 pm

I visit a large noerthern territory property that is managed by a close friend. It was bought by an Australian who then sold half share to an Indonesian group to raise capital to start improvements. It is managed by Australians , employs Australians, uses Australian truck drivers, mechanics, builders , lab technicians , buthchers, shooters stockmen, everything. It is doing Australian research , growing hay for sale to other Australians..etc. I have never seen an Indonesian there. The profits may be split with an offshore entity and you won’t see it, but you wouldn’t see it if the Aussie guy kept it all himself of anyway. They sell cattle to Indonesia when they can. They did that before anyway. Everyone i# trying to get export contracts. Contracts make jobs. What’s the difference if it is owned by someone else.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Apr 2019, 9:48 pm

Mate we live in Australia, a country with western values of openness, capitalism etc. Economic experts tell us that the lifestyle we experience and have gotten accustomed to is due to allowing the market to dictate supply and demand and opening it up. To, in a way self regulate.

Countries like Thailand, China etc which are more closed and highly regulated including around ownership of business and land etc. You can see the quality of life in these countries of the normal people is no where as good as us.

I brought up racism aspect because of three reasons firstly as I stated by facts the reality is that the total number of foreign owned land hasn't changed much, it has only changed from country X to country Z (see 3 below)

Secondly a lot of foreign owned land is in a joint venture where a local entity and a foreign entity jointly own the land share the costs and profits and usually employ Australian jobs.

Thirdly, the actual topic of foreign ownership has only recently (5/10 years, usually by right leaning politicians) come up and its always regarding how the Chinese are buying up all of Australian land, it's a media and politician beatup to serve their own seperate interests. And it very conveniently forgets the reality (as explained by the above two points) that most of our foreign owned land is still held by non Chinese foreign countries.

So by stopping a cashed up foreign buyer there is a chance many Australians will loose jobs as huge investment is usually required to improve facilities, processes and the land itself to make it more productive and garner economies of scale to compete in the global market esp with countries with vastly lower labor costs.

Hopefully I have explained your specific questions mate.

Going back to my first post, I be more angry with the government for allowing destructive mining including fracking on vast tracts of fertile land in NSW/QLD and the possible effects on the water table there, and churning over very fertile land next to all the major cities to build more and more houses, instead of a foreign company buying 100,000 acres in middle of barren whoop whoop desert where the most it can do is run a couple thousand heads of cattle/sheep.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mickb » 21 Apr 2019, 11:31 pm

its the deal we chose. After the USSR collapsed the 1st world set up business all through their half of the world we previously couldn't and made bank out of them. It was luxuries for all, cheap imports from china, 20% stock returns, easy credit, an 18 yr old in 1993 was the first generation( and last) who could get a house loan and brand new HSV in the same year and pay the house off in 10-15 years with a family on a single income. We sold entire sectors to Asia like manufacturing and created a bunch of fluff service jobs like analysts and safety marketing HE qualitychecking dog shampooers to keep ourselves employed and interested. It was money for all and rejoicing throughout the land.

Then the economies tanked, the durned Ruskis started claiming their territories back, the Asians started charging what they wanted since they knew we had forgotten how to make anything ourselves and the wheels started to fall off the wagon. But folks still wanted new sports stadiums, a closer mcdonalds, 100x more types of cornflakes brands and car models, fruit arriving same day by truck not train, a constant flow of plastic junk delivered to their door and so we came up with a new plan. No its actually the same old plan. Sell more of our most important assets to support bloated lifestyles.

Eat that mcdonalds and suck it up folks ;)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Apr 2019, 6:52 am

I tend to agree with zaid here

I've got a few views on the topic.

I'm short of time so I'll make dot points for now

Pros

The farmer gets max $$$$$$ for his property

Someone needs to run the property, the jobs stay at home.

They can't take the land anywhere.

They are forced to run the property to AU standards.

Often the original owner is left to manage the property without the stress of income as they're are on a wage.

No more stress about machines and infrastructure. That belongs to the multi national owner who props up properties that are having a tough run with properties that are having a good run (world wide)

CONS ... and it's the biggest problem.

Profits go over seas.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 22 Apr 2019, 9:00 am

on_one_wheel wrote:CONS ... and it's the biggest problem.

Profits go over seas.

A lot worse than that mate.

The other cons are these foreign businesses gain lobbying power the more they own. Significant buying power gets significant respect. They can push immigration from their end, construction, and get infrastructure deals like being allowed to rebuild our power systems in the 90's with an exortbitant ROI deal with our governments which is why electricity bills have tripled in the last 25 years ;) .

Our property being driven in a global market is also why real estate values quadruple despite the fact our population hardly moves. :?

So its lot more than just 'selling a farm' guys, you enter global markets, you enter global games which is why we now have an entire generation flat out affording inflated house prices or the cost of living ;)

Not that it effects me as much, I am part of the generation that owns their house and millenials will be paying rent to until they are 60.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Apr 2019, 10:07 am

Mick with respect mate, the facts on the ground are very different than what you saying.... maybe you didn't read my comments, if you read them again all these things you are worried about has already happened and been happening for 30+ years. This just means that instead if the American and British companies and entities owing properties and businesses now their are other countries taking over.

I get worked up, cuz I see on one hand we are happy to take their money for sponsorships of our sporting events, we happy to buy their cheaply made crap (china) or the things they dig up from the ground (oil) but get upset when they want to spend that money back with us.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 4:10 pm

We sent men and women to their deaths to keep Australia in Australian hands do we now say that's ok because they've been selling Australia in bits for 30 odd years
and its not a matter of us buying their products, because they bought the companies and that's all you could buy after that as the rest went broke or were bought out if things are ok to some then why has the gov of the day done most of the selling off quietly its only the last few years that the enormity of foreign ownership of bits of Australia if the government was doing its job it would have backed up the Australia business companies but no they shafted business like they did the returned servicemen for those that think that the profits from foreign owned business and property will stay in Australia well you are only kidding yourselves it will end up like Apple $100million dollar profit and not a cent stayed in Australia it somewhat saddens me reading some of these posts saying its ok for foreign ownership of our land and businesses and its ok for a farmer to sell the land to a foreign country, this is where the Australian gov should step in and back our businesses to buy it and keep it in Australian hands and for an Australian to sell his land because it's best price for him well mates A traitor thought that swapping sides was the best for him to but he got shot if caught so why is that different to a farmer selling his land to a foreigner and it be ok after his country men and women have died to keep his land Australian there are a lot of good points from all on here but I disagree with selling any more land to non Australian hands '' I ask you when you go over seas for many years do you still call yourself Australian'' and if a war broke out what side would you fight for and there is the answer why we should keep Australia Australian you can send aide ,help the world ,accept refugees none of which is a problem but keep Australian in Australian hands whats done is done but do no more ( sorry if I've upset anyone not my intention)
Member-Deleted

Post by Chronos » 22 Apr 2019, 7:04 pm

Look at the numbers before you drag out the nationalism flag.

The area of foreign owned land hasn’t changed in nearly 5 years and is stable at around 12%

Easy to blame the current government for your woes but have a good hard look at your own buying decisions and ask “who’s really supporting foreign trade?”

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Apr 2019, 8:26 pm

The issue is many people don't look at the facts cuz they were told by their politician or Facebook page that the foreign people have bought up 99.99% of Australia.

Now I been banging my head holding facts... it's sad people just don't want to listen to facts and class it fake news....if they don't support what they believe
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Apr 2019, 8:49 pm

We are governed by who is let into Australia to sell their wares and that is a government decision people have no say in who trades with us and who doesn't and what was available years ago more so than now but now a lot is bought online because a lot of stuff can't be bought in Australia as companies have gone off shore but we are not talking trade we are talking about Australian land and keeping it for Australians if it be foreigners becoming citizens or Australians period it's silly to think we don't need trade and interaction with other countries and doing our bit for humanity but selling land to foreigners is not in Australias interest and not changing in 5yrs is only a blip on the radar I get the feeling that some people think that the land can be sold to outsiders and things will be honky dory there will be so many things that will be uncontrollable in doing so its not funny once you have sold not talking lease the land then becomes theirs you cannot regain that land until the owner wants to sell and then do we really know the exact % of land that is controlled and 5yrs well it was only last year a 90 or a100year lease was put on Darwin harbour by the Chinese so there 's an increase so if the government is not a major party to blame so we just blame the people who have no say in how things should be run or shouldn't be run people buy what they can afford and these cashed up foreigners know it and the gov and those concerned do deals behind closed doors then the train ride begins don't ever think these people do things for us its for power and greed :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Return to Off topic - General conversation