If you had a cat C permit...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

If you had a cat C permit...

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Apr 2019, 2:08 pm

So, I thought I had all the firearms that I wanted but a birthday and a YouTube video later - I’m thinking an Adler might be good for fast follow up shots...taking to a friend and he reminds me I cancan apply for a cat C with my circumstances, so why don’t I get a pump action 12g...started me thinking.

What would be on ppls Wishlist if you had a cat C permit ready to go??
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: If you had a cat C permit...

Post by Stix » 12 Apr 2019, 2:29 pm

The enemy of feral pigeon flocks...being a semi auto 12g... :thumbsup: :clap:

Nithing like a dawn walk around the perimeter of a freshly headed paddock thats bordered by bunny infested mallee scrub with a semi auto 12g...just the best fun... :clap: :clap: :clap:

And a semi 22 as well...because sometimes beer cans build up in numbers whinh require culling with little expense... :D
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2019, 3:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:So, I thought I had all the firearms that I wanted but a birthday and a YouTube video later - I’m thinking an Adler might be good for fast follow up shots...taking to a friend and he reminds me I cancan apply for a cat C with my circumstances, so why don’t I get a pump action 12g...started me thinking.

What would be on ppls Wishlist if you had a cat C permit ready to go??

I could apply as well.
I would probably just get a Ruger 10/22 for nostalgia.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Apr 2019, 4:12 pm

Depends what you need it for.
But i’d Rather the semi than the pump in 12 gauge, much less recoil.
They are fun for artilery on bunny’s. .. until you realise how much you just spent on shells
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 12 Apr 2019, 7:04 pm

I'd want a cat D permit.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Apr 2019, 7:06 pm

I think I know what I’m going to go for (think lol) - I’m interested in what others might choose in same...
Friend desperately wants a pump 308 - no idea why, it’s just something he’s always wanted...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wombat » 12 Apr 2019, 7:16 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I think I know what I’m going to go for (think lol) - I’m interested in what others might choose in same...
Friend desperately wants a pump 308 - no idea why, it’s just something he’s always wanted...

Isn't that Cat B in Tassie? It is in Vic.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Apr 2019, 7:31 pm

Thought it was C, if it had mag capacity greater than 5 but you may well be correct.
I don’t know why you’d want a pump centre F but it’s just something he always wanted.
I wanted a lever 12g - that is def on cat B but pump is cat C...but weird, cause I’d assume a lever is just as quick as a pump.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wombat » 12 Apr 2019, 8:00 pm

Logic and laws? Up to 10 for a centrefire pump rifle with a detachable magazine in Vic. A lever shotgun is harder to maintain a sight picture with than a pump. So while it may be as fast to cycle it is not as fast for practical aimed fire. A semi is even easier to keep on target due to reduced recoil.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 12 Apr 2019, 8:07 pm

The Remington 870 SPS camo synthetic pump that I had to hand in 22 years ago.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

The Ruger mini 14 I had to hand in 22 yrs ago 20 rnd mag compact accurate and reliable
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Apr 2019, 8:34 pm

TassieTiger wrote:...taking to a friend and he reminds me I cancan apply for a cat C with my circumstances,

Tas, if your thinking along the lines of using medical or physical difficulties as an inroad to getting a Cat C license,,,,, think long and carefully Mate.

If they grant you a Cat C status on those grounds,,,,,, (as in can't or have difficulty in manipulating a bolt action etc) they may possibly then turn around and say you don't need any Cat A or B firearms and Bingo,,,,,,, they're gone. :shock:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by cracker » 12 Apr 2019, 8:38 pm

Wombat wrote:Logic and laws? Up to 10 for a centrefire pump rifle with a detachable magazine in Vic. A lever shotgun is harder to maintain a sight picture with than a pump. So while it may be as fast to cycle it is not as fast for practical aimed fire. A semi is even easier to keep on target due to reduced recoil.

leaver shotgun is just crappier in every way really... 5 rounds of slam fire pump action 12g can be very fast indeed.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 Apr 2019, 8:45 pm

at least a self loading shotgun and ruger 10/22 is what would make me happy :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by cracker » 12 Apr 2019, 8:54 pm

for all those who are keen as on cat c, get your collectors license.
plenty of info on here and on lrd's website.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2019, 9:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I think I know what I’m going to go for (think lol) - I’m interested in what others might choose in same...

Pump rifles are just CatB.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2019, 9:15 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Thought it was C, if it had mag capacity greater than 5 but you may well be correct.
I don’t know why you’d want a pump centre F but it’s just something he always wanted.
I wanted a lever 12g - that is def on cat B but pump is cat C...but weird, cause I’d assume a lever is just as quick as a pump.

Mag capacity here is 10rds for CatB.

If you run a pump properly it virtually cycles as a semi-auto. Pull the rifle/gun into your shoulder with your left hand. When you fire, it automatically unlocks because you've got the fore end preloaded, and then cycles back under recoil. It upsets your sight picture more than a semi-auto, but for aimed shots it's very quick.

I see people shooting pumps as if they're bolt-actions, which is pointless.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2019, 9:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:...taking to a friend and he reminds me I cancan apply for a cat C with my circumstances,

Tas, if your thinking along the lines of using medical or physical difficulties as an inroad to getting a Cat C license,,,,, think long and carefully Mate.

If they grant you a Cat C status on those grounds,,,,,, (as in can't or have difficulty in manipulating a bolt action etc) they may possibly then turn around and say you don't need any Cat A or B firearms and Bingo,,,,,,, they're gone. :shock:

This should be easily sorted. Getting a firearm specifically for competition is _very_ different from hunting or shooting recreationally due to the amount of shooting done in short sessions. As long as you make it clear that your medical problem is due to the _amount_ of shooting, not the type.

Personally, it's not worth the extra paperwork for a firearm you can only use at a range for competition, or only on a specific property for pest control. And if your circumstances change where you can't make the club attendances or are no longer a Primary Producer, the firearms have to go. Here in Vic we're also restricted to one gun and one rifle in Cat C, if you want another one you have to sell the current one.
Attachments
Cat C numbers.PNG
Cat C numbers.PNG (141.16 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2019, 9:30 pm

cracker wrote:for all those who are keen as on cat c, get your collectors license.

As long as you're happy to only own them, not actually go out shooting with them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 12 Apr 2019, 11:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
cracker wrote:for all those who are keen as on cat c, get your collectors license.

As long as you're happy to only own them, not actually go out shooting with them.

as iv said before mate once a month is plenty for me, i really enjoy it.
private range date once a month is ace.
the whole you cant shoot them is just crap, theres actually no where you can just flat up mag dump 45 pistols and bigger (45/75)50ae), 12g shotguns, semi auto 22's, pump shooties 12gs
. once you actually get into its really good fun, the only reason you say its useless, is up to you, your choice.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2019, 11:43 pm

cracker wrote:as iv said before mate once a month is plenty for me, i really enjoy it.
private range date once a month is ace.
the whole you cant shoot them is just crap, theres actually no where you can just flat up mag dump 45 pistols and bigger (45/75)50ae), 12g shotguns, semi auto 22's, pump shooties 12gs
. once you actually get into its really good fun, the only reason you say its useless, is up to you, your choice.

I have no interest in mag dumping pistols, or shooting semi-auto rifles - I've done all that before the laws changed, but I don't begrudge you from enjoying it if that's your thing.
Agreed, but likewise, that's your opinion too. If I can't wander down the paddock and enjoy a firearm whenever I feel like it, it's not worth putting it in my safes.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2019, 9:00 am

Die Judicii wrote:

Appreciate the heads up and very interesting- something I didn’t think about.
I’ve been recently granted primary production status with my private timber reserve - which is a legit tree farm.
Interestingly - from what hive read, anyone with land over 10 hectares, with a parcel of standing trees (doesn’t have to be plantation) can apply to have their trees registered as a private timber reserve...this can then allow for certain “benefits”. Mind you - you would not bother doing it, if your sole purpose was to try and procure a cat c firearm...not worth it.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by womble » 13 Apr 2019, 9:15 am

Interesting isn’t it
Cat C is for land owners and rich people
Even cat A and B is difficult if you’re blue collar and don’t really asociate much with lawyers, doctors
Class system
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JSS » 13 Apr 2019, 9:36 am

TassieTiger wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

Appreciate the heads up and very interesting- something I didn’t think about.
I’ve been recently granted primary production status with my private timber reserve - which is a legit tree farm.
Interestingly - from what hive read, anyone with land over 10 hectares, with a parcel of standing trees (doesn’t have to be plantation) can apply to have their trees registered as a private timber reserve...this can then allow for certain “benefits”. Mind you - you would not bother doing it, if your sole purpose was to try and procure a cat c firearm...not worth it.

Yep i've heard a similar rumour floating around that Die Judicii is talking about, the version i heard was if your medical reason was "recoil for injured shoulder" then they may come and take any other high powered rifles off you that they deem to have big recoil. i don't know if it's true or just a scare tactic put out to stop people trying the medical cat c route. It would suck if they did it to you though.... :shock:
I know here in Qld if you use it (medical) to get a semi 12g for say shooting clays, you have to limit the mag capacity to 2 rounds. So unless it really is for genuine recoil reduction for an injury it defeats the purpose in getting one as you can fire two rounds just as fast from a double barrel.
Also i think (if i remember correctly) that that gun can only be used at the range and can't be taken out hunting. They've really made it just not worth doing unless you're genuine.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2019, 3:37 pm

womble wrote:Interesting isn’t it
Cat C is for land owners and rich people
Even cat A and B is difficult if you’re blue collar and don’t really asociate much with lawyers, doctors
Class system

I doubt too many farmers, tree reserve ppl would agree re being rich...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Apr 2019, 4:41 pm

Agreed TT. I knew a guy 5000 acres and still drove an old 20 year old 4wd... and his house looked nothing much as well.
Last edited by Sergeant Hartman on 13 Apr 2019, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Apr 2019, 4:46 pm

Yeah not quite what I meant. Farmers around here are desperate times.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Apr 2019, 4:52 pm

A Ruger 10/22 would be first on the list

Synthetic stock, stainless action , carbon fibre barrel.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2019, 6:27 pm

womble wrote:Yeah not quite what I meant. Farmers around here are desperate times.

I’m not rich in any sense of the word, but I have some superannuation and got tired of arsehats taking their chunk every 1/4 - there is nothing to stop ppl in similar circumstances from putting their super into a small parcel of bush land, planting some trees as an investment - and somewhere to shoot/hunt at the same time.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Apr 2019, 9:24 pm

Just make sure you don't live on it mate, as ato can get very nasty.

aS always talk to an account
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation