How do you broach the guns topic to prospective/current lady

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

How do you broach the guns topic to prospective/current lady

Post by KoalaGrundle » 13 Apr 2019, 12:38 am

Okay ran out of space in the subject there.. meant to end with 'lady friends'.

I'm not in a mad hurry to tell any and all ladies about my hobby since some people are pretty irrational about it. And that goes for both sexes.

However after a few weeks they all start wondering why I'm disappearing all day and start thinking there's another woman! Should be quite complimented that they think I have that much energy... :thumbsup:

Any tips or things to avoid? I was thinking maybe get one of those Groupon vouchers for a clays/rimfire "come and try" day, see if they balk at it or if they're keen and go from there
The first rule of gun safety is to have fun
KoalaGrundle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: How do you broach the guns topic to prospective/current

Post by womble » 13 Apr 2019, 4:01 am

Assuming they’re female this has no correct answer.
Whatever you decide to do is wrong.
Just how their brains work unfortunately ie. if you tell her it was wrong to tell her, if you don’t tell her it was wrong not to.
If I had to choose, i’d Probably go with honesty upfront. But of course that will fail
And then you have to go shopping for flowers and they have to be the expensive ones, because she”ll know which ones are the cheap ones. And then she”ll think that you think she’s cheap.
But more importantly, that’s not the real reason she’s angry with you.

Now, if none of that makes sense.
Exactly.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 13 Apr 2019, 6:24 am

just tell her,,if she says she hates it ,,dump her,,do this while saying that that you thought that she was the one but because of her hatred of the thing that you love, you cant love her ,,,this would happen just after having sex ,, :twisted: :thumbsup: your :welcome:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2019, 7:28 am

tom604 wrote:just tell her,,if she says she hates it ,,dump her,,do this while saying that that you thought that she was the one but because of her hatred of the thing that you love, you cant love her ,,,this would happen just after having sex ,, :twisted: :thumbsup: your :welcome:

Sounds like a plan.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 13 Apr 2019, 8:13 am

Tell you’re taking her on a mystery date and head straight to the range.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 13 Apr 2019, 8:25 am

Every bloke has “another woman” whether it be shooting, fishing, motorbikes, model planes or stamp collecting. It’s all the same thing!
When mine complains that I’m spending too much time and money in my hobbys I remind her of the $3k camera she rarely uses or thehorse she has in the paddock that she never rides!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

Why does it have to be so hard? just tell her you like guns. if she can't handle the fact, who cares she will have to like it or lump it!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Apr 2019, 8:49 am

Darling - I’m buying another firearm...
No your bloody not, you don’t shoot all the ones you have...and you can only shoot one at a time anyway.
Yeah, well you don’t wear all the bloody shoes you have and please, please let me see you wearing more than one pair at a time...

Personally - I’d see if I could spark an interest in target shooting with a quiet .22
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Apr 2019, 9:44 am

Have you got access to a private property where you can set up a couple of reactive targets? Take her for a nice picnic, set up a couple of targets, use a 22lr with subs. Easy to handle, litlle noise, almost no recoil. Use large, easy to hit reactive targets. Leave your 45-70 at home. Paper isn't as much fun as a gong. It really helps if they can hit that target straight away. Formal ranges are noisy and can be very intimidating. My wife is not "keen", but she'll happily shoot a packet of sub 22lr at a gong in the paddock on a sunny afternoon with a picnic spread out under a shady tree. Life is good
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by JSS » 13 Apr 2019, 9:59 am

Lay all your guns out on the bed, then get naked, cover yourself head to toe with gun oil and call out "Honey i'm ready!!" If she freaks out in any way then there must be something wrong with her. :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 2freeq » 13 Apr 2019, 10:12 am

JSS wrote:Lay all your guns out on the bed, then get naked, cover yourself head to toe with gun oil and call out "Honey i'm ready!!" If she freaks out in any way then there must be something wrong with her. :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:

Gold.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 13 Apr 2019, 10:29 am

Grow a pair just tell em if "they" dont like it move on , its a sport that you happen to like its part of you if she dont like it the doors that way .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Apr 2019, 10:35 am

Blokes that tippy toe around stuff like this just need to grow a set!
If you have to appologise to your other half for everything you want to do in your life, be it shooting ,fishing, whatever, you are with the wrong person.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 13 Apr 2019, 11:11 am

take her shooting dont make it a big deal becouse it will be then
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by marksman » 13 Apr 2019, 12:07 pm

I agree "dont make it a big deal and it wont be" :drinks:

tell the truth and you wont go wrong, dont hide it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 13 Apr 2019, 12:29 pm

you have an opportunity to win her over with logic and sound reasoning. Point out the obvious outdoor walk healthy aspect, free range healthy free meat, zero cruelty, humane kill etc

not hard to convert a GF except lol if Buddist
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 13 Apr 2019, 1:34 pm

Geez,I've got the problem the other way !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 13 Apr 2019, 1:59 pm

bigpete wrote:Geez,I've got the problem the other way !

Then you really have no problem at all ya lucky bugger! My Mrs isn't a huge fan of them but she understands it's something i'm into so she accepts it. Just like i accept that she loves to play golf (the most retarded and stupidest game ever invented). i even go with her sometimes, i just drive the cart and drink beer :D
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Col » 13 Apr 2019, 4:01 pm

FWIW I took my wife plinking at a mates rubbish tip, you bottles cans etc, with a couple of 22s. She reckoned "this is boring" until we gave her a go and next thing you know "more bullets please". Loved plinking and shooting cabs etc. Now my 2 daughters are right into shooting, one even captained shooting team at school and all good shots. Mum is a bloody good shot, especially if a snake is in the chook house or fox around the chooks.

So I reckon you have nothing to lose if you take her plinking with the old 22. Never know she may like it, get her licence and then you can have more guns at home :).

My missus has stuck around for nearly 30 years so far so worth a try. She may be a keeper.

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

Noisydad wrote:Tell you’re taking her on a mystery date and head straight to the range.

This one for the win.

If she doesn't like your guns, it's never going to work.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 13 Apr 2019, 4:53 pm

JSS wrote:Lay all your guns out on the bed, then get naked, cover yourself head to toe with gun oil and call out "Honey i'm ready!!" If she freaks out in any way then there must be something wrong with her. :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:

This gets my vote.
Women love suprises.
Just add some candle light, soft music, and a yowie suit.
Win
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 13 Apr 2019, 11:50 pm

The way I look at all of this is what's your age and what's your end goal.

I believe once you are past a certain age where you are not looking for a woman to have children with there is no point in bringing them into your house, signing legal documents for marriage where they have a stake in your property and assets or getting them otherwise overly involved in what you are doing. If you exclude marriage I still think you never let them live in your house.

I make it very clear I am into guns right off the get go. I don't believe in this stuff of trying to convince them or whatever. If they don't get it from the get go, bye.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Apr 2019, 12:47 am

“Hey baby, wanna see my magnum?”
“Oh your gross, but maybe, first you’ll have to warm me up, maybe rub my leg or bite my ear or some dirty talking??”
“Well - it’s got a long action...- 30/06 caliber, it’s blued barrel, Leupold 6-24 scope...mag holds 4...here you can touch it”
“Wait...what the actual F?”
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Apr 2019, 7:08 am

Lol

If she us a one night or one week stance then sure don't bother explaining... but once she gets serious, do so... then she will either freakout and demean toy get rid of the guns.... in that case you have to decide if the root is worth losing your guns.....or she might be fine or even like it.... in the last case even if you are 50/50 on her keep her.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 14 Apr 2019, 7:31 am

KoalaGrundle wrote:Okay ran out of space in the subject there.. meant to end with 'lady friends'.

I'm not in a mad hurry to tell any and all ladies about my hobby since some people are pretty irrational about it. And that goes for both sexes.

However after a few weeks they all start wondering why I'm disappearing all day and start thinking there's another woman! Should be quite complimented that they think I have that much energy... :thumbsup:

Any tips or things to avoid? I was thinking maybe get one of those Groupon vouchers for a clays/rimfire "come and try" day, see if they balk at it or if they're keen and go from there

The sooner you "come out" the better, as in it is just one of the normal activities a bloke engages in.
I don't mean that as a pickup line but as any relationship develops you don't want to feed any feelings that there are more deep dark secrets needing to be uncovered.
Furthermore, why waste time with any person that may be intolerant of any of your interests or pursuits assuming of course your post is not in reference to short term, no strings attached, pleasurable activities.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Apr 2019, 9:34 am

Anthony Bourdain has (had) some style - said he takes his prospective to a restaurant where they serve oysters and other gross sticky, bitter food - if she swallows everything gross he can order, he’s in for a good night lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Austwave » 14 Apr 2019, 4:17 pm

:thumbsdown: Mine just lost her s**t at me and she enlisted the kid as well, so I am in ****** ditch cant afford to lose half a house at this point.
Strategic withdrawal. Inner west vegetarian Buddhist yoga teacher I'm rogered just wanted to go for a trot in the bush with the cousins and bring back a feed it isn't happening and she has told me I'm evil
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 14 Apr 2019, 5:07 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Anthony Bourdain has (had) some style - said he takes his prospective to a restaurant where they serve oysters and other gross sticky, bitter food - if she swallows everything gross he can order, he’s in for a good night lol.

yeah,but they still didn't want to hang with him :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :violin: :violin:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 14 Apr 2019, 5:59 pm

JSS wrote:

Then you really have no problem at all ya lucky bugger! My Mrs isn't a huge fan of them but she understands it's something i'm into so she accepts it. Just like i accept that she loves to play golf (the most retarded and stupidest game ever invented). i even go with her sometimes, i just drive the cart and drink beer :D

Hmmm,I don't know about that. Not my missus...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Apr 2019, 8:34 pm

Swap ya? 8-)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation