How do you broach the guns topic to prospective/current lady

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: How do you broach the guns topic to prospective/current

Post by mickb » 21 Apr 2019, 11:18 pm

I prefer not to tell them much at first. A messy breakup or DV order, not that I have ever had the latter and a magistrate is all over you like white on rice. Men already lose most court outcomes.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by snag » 22 Apr 2019, 7:09 pm

Never apologise for being a shooter. If the prospective partner is right for you, then they've gotta take the whole package - as do you. Do you really want to get long-term with someone who doesn't accept your shooting (or fishing or football or whatever) ? Recipe for misery, I reckon.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 23 Apr 2019, 12:55 am

snag wrote:Never apologise for being a shooter. If the prospective partner is right for you, then they've gotta take the whole package - as do you. Do you really want to get long-term with someone who doesn't accept your shooting (or fishing or football or whatever) ? Recipe for misery, I reckon.

I think a lot of men believe they can hook up with a woman and then change them afterwards, big mistake.

I agree with you, you set the frame from the beginning. This is who you are, what you do and if that doesn't work for them, there is the door.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 23 Apr 2019, 11:02 am

20190423_081415.jpg
20190423_081415.jpg (211.1 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
It's easy...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Apr 2019, 6:50 pm

snag wrote:Never apologise for being a shooter. If the prospective partner is right for you, then they've gotta take the whole package - as do you. Do you really want to get long-term with someone who doesn't accept your shooting (or fishing or football or whatever) ? Recipe for misery, I reckon.

I think that sums it up. "you take the whole person" , including their past".

If you dont like it, then dump it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bustacap » 30 Apr 2019, 10:59 pm

I had this very problem some years ago. She grew up in a family of gun haters, real fanatics. We had two weeks holiday. I wanted to hunt, she wanted to lay around on the beach at Noosa. Being a caring and thoughtful partner, and also gods gift to women, I suggested we do her boring thing for the first week, and my awesome thing the second week. Fast forward past her boring week and we arrive at a property past Warwick that had a pretty good popultion of rabbits. To ease her into it I set some cans up for her to have a few shots at. She was keen to give it a go regardless of her parents attitude to guns. She had a bit to learn and we decided the gun for her would be the shotgun. The following day we went looking for rabbits, soon enough one ran out and sat within shotgun range. Being the gentleman that I am I offered her the first shot if she wanted it. To my surprise she took it. She lined the bunny up and blasted it. To my horror she only winged it, the worst outcome for both the first time hunter and the rabbit. To my complete surprise, she calmly chambered another round and finished what she had started. I assumed that would be the end of shooting for her. How wrong I was. I will try to put this into words but I do not think I can do it justice. I have never seen another human so exhilerated before or after that event. She vibrated with excitement, she was on a high for days that I don't think even drugs could not induce. Needless to say, I did not get much of a chance to shoot many bunnies that week because I had created a beautiful blonde killing machine that wanted them all to herself. Just remember girls like guns too. My mum shot competition handgun until she was 70.
Bustacap
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 30 Apr 2019, 11:24 pm

I am back living with the wife I had all my children with and her dad lived at a range and had black powder handguns and rifles and everything imaginable all in England so she has no issues with me having a few peashooters.I have taken 2 women pro culling over the years and they both did the same thing after the first animal was done got straight on the phone and excitedly told a friend how it wasn't bloodthirsty and all clean and good.I can only imagine what the must of assumed was going to happen
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation