Oldest and Youngest Members

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Oldest and Youngest Members

Post by JimTom » 22 Apr 2019, 11:41 am

I am a ‘74 model but I know there are younger than that on here.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 22 Apr 2019, 11:56 am

Die Judicii wrote:Congrats Apollo,,,,,,,,, (now I'm like the Medicare Advert / jingle,,,, "I feel better now")

Seems like none of the young uns want to enter or speak up. :lol:

I suppose the next thing to ask would be how long you have owned a firearm of any description.... :thumbsup:

In my case I'm too old to remember exactly but something like 62 years or more and been reloading since the mid 70's...

Gee it was nice to be able to walk down the street with a rifle slung over your shoulder and nobody took any notice, even in the Sydney CBD. Also used to have a Semi Auto Pistol in a shoulder holster traveling around the city.
Last edited by Apollo on 22 Apr 2019, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 22 Apr 2019, 12:22 pm

I bought my first .22 when i was 12 off a mate in 68 had a few air rifles before that but they didn,t count (they were toys )
Last edited by pomemax on 22 Apr 2019, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 22 Apr 2019, 7:15 pm

I turned 30 in October.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by booomr » 22 Apr 2019, 8:17 pm

I'm 28. Does that put me at the youngest so far?
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 22 Apr 2019, 9:23 pm

If we still have "Heckler303" he'd be about 20 now or there abouts I think.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 22 Apr 2019, 10:31 pm

Well I’m 54. I got my first air rifle for my 14th birthday back in 1978. Back then in Canberra air rifle pellets were sold at newsagents. I shot thousands of pellets through that thing. I bought my first 22 for $25 off the boyfriend of a girl I worked with a few months later. It was a Winchester semi auto. At the school I went to if you were in year 10 you could do rifle shoots two periods a week. Kids would bring their 22s to school on the bus. I seem to recall that civilisation as we know it didn’t come to an end.

On one occasion I brought my 22 to school as one of my mates was doing film making at school. He was making a film based on the Boomtown Rats song “I don’t like Monday’s”. He needed to use my rifle as a prop. I was in the middle of being filmed loading ammo into the magazine when a teacher came along wanting to know what the hell we were doing. When we explained it, he settled down. Mind you he told us we should have got a “permission slip” first. He left us alone to finish the filming. I just can’t envisage a school today responding like that. The fact was the teacher knew both of us well and had every faith that our intentions were benign. We were Stupid. But harmless.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Apr 2019, 10:53 pm

Apollo wrote:
I suppose the next thing to ask would be how long you have owned a firearm of any description.... :thumbsup:

You got me there Apollo,,,,,, I've only owned f/arms since I was 12 yo.

Mind you, the very first one was a Semi Auto .22 (a Gevarm A7 with a scope and a scope was extra special then)
Sh!t,,,,,,,,,,, where did common sense and fun times go to ??? :unknown:

When I was in secondary school, and learning to use a lathe, I took an old Winchester .22 pump that had been cut down to a crude pistol (no tube mag and could only be used as a single shot) to school.
We unscrewed the barrel and put it in the lathe,, and the teacher proceeded to show me how to cut a 1/2" UNF thread on it,, and then fitted the "Gold Spot" silencer to it. :o :shock:

OMG,,,,,,,,, could you imagine that nowadays. ????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Apr 2019, 12:27 pm

You're only as old as the woman you're feeling....makes me zero years old...lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 2:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Apollo wrote:

You got me there Apollo,,,,,, I've only owned f/arms since I was 12 yo.

Mind you, the very first one was a Semi Auto .22 (a Gevarm A7 with a scope and a scope was extra special then)
Sh!t,,,,,,,,,,, where did common sense and fun times go to ??? :unknown:

When I was in secondary school, and learning to use a lathe, I took an old Winchester .22 pump that had been cut down to a crude pistol (no tube mag and could only be used as a single shot) to school.
We unscrewed the barrel and put it in the lathe,, and the teacher proceeded to show me how to cut a 1/2" UNF thread on it,, and then fitted the "Gold Spot" silencer to it. :o :shock:

OMG,,,,,,,,, could you imagine that nowadays. ????

Mine was a 303 sporter, got it when I was 8 :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Apr 2019, 3:05 pm

What about a "shanghai", does that count?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Apr 2019, 4:58 pm

Sooo, i think i bought my first in 1973. (18) It was a stirling 22 lr semi automatic.. Currently have seven. Only bought and sold 3 or 4.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, i think i bought my first in 1973. (18) It was a stirling 22 lr semi automatic.. Currently have seven. Only bought and sold 3 or 4.

Do you mean 7 firearms,,,,,, or 7 Semi Autos ???

If it is the latter,,,, I'd be interested in knowing how you wangled that unless your a "collector"

:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Apr 2019, 8:10 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, i think i bought my first in 1973. (18) It was a stirling 22 lr semi automatic.. Currently have seven. Only bought and sold 3 or 4.

Do you mean 7 firearms,,,,,, or 7 Semi Autos ???

If it is the latter,,,, I'd be interested in knowing how you wangled that unless your a "collector"

:lol:

7 firearms mate.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Goose#24 » 25 Apr 2019, 8:47 pm

I'm clearly a baby still, I'm only 25.
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by hunting99 » 25 Apr 2019, 9:45 pm

I’m only 20 so I’ve missed out on all the semi atomic 22 fun. I need a trip to America I think.
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 25 Apr 2019, 10:52 pm

hunting99 wrote:I’m only 20 so I’ve missed out on all the semi atomic 22 fun. I need a trip to America I think.

You didn't miss anything. As an old fart, I never did see the use of a Semi or Full Automatic as they are just not very accurate unless you can fire one round at a time. Maybe if you want to hang off the side of a helicopter but then that would be a job eh..!!

I had a laugh when I saw "Auto" spelt "Atomic" and I thought, gee what did I miss in the story... Sorry....

I don't see that I'm missing anything either not having a Class D license for a centrefire. Nor do I ever want one of these "Tacticool" looking rifles. They don't shoot any better than a standard rifle other than the owner feels...cool... :thumbsdown:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 26 Apr 2019, 12:39 am

hunting99 i am in the u.s. almost all the big game is done with guns that are not semi auto when i hunt with a 22 i hunt with a bolt action marlin 25 they dont jam.
tradition tends to drive most hunting and most hunting laws are the same way most states when hunting a gun cant hold more then 6 rounds.
shot guns are were we do use pump and semi autos alot the pump shot gun is a working mans gun here if you live in a eastern state you coud hunt every thing with one gun and do well.
every one one this sight would be welcome in my huning camp with what you guys have.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 26 Apr 2019, 1:40 am

Apollo wrote:
hunting99 wrote:I’m only 20 so I’ve missed out on all the semi atomic 22 fun. I need a trip to America I think.

You didn't miss anything. As an old fart, I never did see the use of a Semi or Full Automatic as they are just not very accurate unless you can fire one round at a time. Maybe if you want to hang off the side of a helicopter but then that would be a job eh..!!

I had a laugh when I saw "Auto" spelt "Atomic" and I thought, gee what did I miss in the story... Sorry....

I don't see that I'm missing anything either not having a Class D license for a centrefire. Nor do I ever want one of these "Tacticool" looking rifles. They don't shoot any better than a standard rifle other than the owner feels...cool... :thumbsdown:

Just wait ; now everyone will be jumping on your back calling you a fudd and all sorts of other stuff...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 26 Apr 2019, 2:03 am

hunting99 please dont think i was trying to give you a hard time i was just trying to point out that some times semi autos are over rated
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JimTom » 26 Apr 2019, 2:48 am

Semi do nothing for me either. More than happy with my humble bolt actions.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Apr 2019, 5:17 am

Lol big Pete. Everytime I bring that topic up I get that response. And the only reason the semi loving guys can give for wanting a semi is... just cuz.

Well I want to win the 70m tattslotto draw.... but there is no chance as I don't even buy a ticket
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by trekin » 26 Apr 2019, 6:38 am

Apollo wrote:

Each to their own, but it matters not how the round finds it way in the breach, if you remember one simple rule, "aim with your eye, not your finger".
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Apr 2019, 7:09 am

Ziad wrote:Lol big Pete. Everytime I bring that topic up I get that response. And the only reason the semi loving guys can give for wanting a semi is... just cuz.

Well I want to win the 70m tattslotto draw.... but there is no chance as I don't even buy a ticket

Playing devils advocate here as - but the answer just cuz, can be applied to many, many firearm related depictions.
Why do you need multiple 30 cals?
Why do you need a lever action and a straight pull? Why do you need more than one 12g? Etc...you can make up reasons like, well I need that faster follow up shot, or I’m wanting to hunt different animals at different distances - but just as you said cuz isn’t a relative answer to people wanting a semi, isn’t it then also possible that others may draw the same conclusions to the multitude of firearms we do have available?
I’m not trying to put shot on anyone - just trying to put a 4th persons point of view on the situation...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Apr 2019, 8:47 am

For a hunting application I have not particularly missed semi autos. My first 22 was a semi auto, which was prone to jamming at inopportune moments. Having said that I really liked my semi auto shotgun when I had it. That was a nice thing to shoot bunnies with. Since losing my semi auto, I have shot a few things with my under and over shottie and my bolt action rifles. I really doubt a semi auto would have increased my success rate. I read an article many years ago by the late US writer Colonel Jeff Cooper who made the point that firepower was NOT the number of rounds in your magazine or that you could send towards your target. It was the number of rounds you could put INTO your target. One well aimed shot is firepower. 10 misses isn’t.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by trekin » 26 Apr 2019, 11:02 am

There is only one problem with semi autos, and that is the attitude of the nut behind the butt. This attitude is easily seen in the post above by those who say there is no use for semis, or tell us that they do not miss having them any more.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Apr 2019, 1:26 pm

bigpete wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Just wait ; now everyone will be jumping on your back calling you a fudd and all sorts of other stuff...

Dont listen to them hunting99... :lol:
You have missed out on something...and not everyone who has a difference of opinion is a fudd... :D
(im not having a crack at you fella's... :D )

Forget the 22's mate...semi auto shotguns are where the fun is at....destroying small feral invasive species such as bunnies pigeons & starlings is most efficiently done with a semi auto shotgun...& its bucket loads of fun...

If in the right hands (meaning the 'nut behind the butt' as its been termed), being a competent shot with sufficient training &/or experience, a self loading shottie is a very effective eradication tool...not to mention, for a sporting shooter/hunter adds an entirely different level of enjoyment to a hunt or cull.

Walking around a freshly headed paddock that is bordered with bunny infested mallee, first thing in the morning with a semi auto 12g is some of the best fun you will have while doing the farmer & the environment a favour...!!
Infact ive found the best way is to have someone drive a vehicle at walking pace say 20-30 yards in the paddock, while you walk 10-15 yards ahead of the vehicle at around 10-15 yds inside the fence line...
With a double barrel the fun is over immediately while you see another 1, 2 or 4 bunnies scatter past while youre frantically trying to reload...with a S L shottie the adrenalin rush keeps going...you try to flick one or more shells back in and another bursts accross the track & youre on cos youve got another 2 or 3 rounds ready to go...it really is an exciting way to shoot...!!! :clap:

Also there is feral pigeon infestations on farms...a couple of farms i shoot on have a problem...so the most i can get is 4 pigeons per day--thats 2 barrels in the morning & 2 in the evening...if i had a self loader with say 5+1 i could get up to 12 per day...
Thats the difference in bringing numbers down significantly, to making no difference at all...!!

Places where there are large numbers of starlings is fun too...i used to visit a farm & we'd sit on the front verandah in the afternoon having a beer & a chat...id have the shottie ready to go & we'd all keep our eyes on the sky to see when the next flock were flying over...to see 3 out of 5 starlings drop was a hoot, but to sometimes let off 5 rounds & have 6 or 7 drop was a bigger hoot...!!!

Then there is duck hunting...i just shoot on farms & dont go out in the water ways with everyone else.
So when i visit a farm to shoot, i have only one oppertunity to get a decent feed per trip as once they are disturbed they wont return to that farm for a week or so...
So a walk over the wall of a dam can get 2 at best...again with a S loader i could get a few decent dinners to last over the winter... :thumbsup:

It really does amaze me that because some shooters dont have a need & therefor dont see a purpose for a semi auto, that they deem that others shouldnt have them either.. :unknown:
2019-04-16 08.25.17.jpg
2 shots 2 barrels...Need 6 shots one barrel...!!
2019-04-16 08.25.17.jpg (607.3 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

Now hows that for a thread going off topic... :o
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by hunting99 » 26 Apr 2019, 3:31 pm

:thumbsup:
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Apr 2019, 4:18 pm

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the sidchrome "anti-slip" design.

I've been more than happy with the cheaper Repco spanners. They're a good fit on the hex and feel good in the hand.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by trekin » 26 Apr 2019, 5:48 pm

Stix wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Dont listen to them hunting99... :lol:
You have missed out on something...and not everyone who has a difference of opinion is a fudd... :D
(im not having a crack at you fella's... :D )

Forget the 22's mate...semi auto shotguns are where the fun is at....destroying small feral invasive species such as bunnies pigeons & starlings is most efficiently done with a semi auto shotgun...& its bucket loads of fun...

If in the right hands (meaning the 'nut behind the butt' as its been termed), being a competent shot with sufficient training &/or experience, a self loading shottie is a very effective eradication tool...not to mention, for a sporting shooter/hunter adds an entirely different level of enjoyment to a hunt or cull.

Walking around a freshly headed paddock that is bordered with bunny infested mallee, first thing in the morning with a semi auto 12g is some of the best fun you will have while doing the farmer & the environment a favour...!!
Infact ive found the best way is to have someone drive a vehicle at walking pace say 20-30 yards in the paddock, while you walk 10-15 yards ahead of the vehicle at around 10-15 yds inside the fence line...
With a double barrel the fun is over immediately while you see another 1, 2 or 4 bunnies scatter past while youre frantically trying to reload...with a S L shottie the adrenalin rush keeps going...you try to flick one or more shells back in and another bursts accross the track & youre on cos youve got another 2 or 3 rounds ready to go...it really is an exciting way to shoot...!!! :clap:

Also there is feral pigeon infestations on farms...a couple of farms i shoot on have a problem...so the most i can get is 4 pigeons per day--thats 2 barrels in the morning & 2 in the evening...if i had a self loader with say 5+1 i could get up to 12 per day...
Thats the difference in bringing numbers down significantly, to making no difference at all...!!

Places where there are large numbers of starlings is fun too...i used to visit a farm & we'd sit on the front verandah in the afternoon having a beer & a chat...id have the shottie ready to go & we'd all keep our eyes on the sky to see when the next flock were flying over...to see 3 out of 5 starlings drop was a hoot, but to sometimes let off 5 rounds & have 6 or 7 drop was a bigger hoot...!!!

Then there is duck hunting...i just shoot on farms & dont go out in the water ways with everyone else.
So when i visit a farm to shoot, i have only one oppertunity to get a decent feed per trip as once they are disturbed they wont return to that farm for a week or so...
So a walk over the wall of a dam can get 2 at best...again with a S loader i could get a few decent dinners to last over the winter... :thumbsup:

It really does amaze me that because some shooters dont have a need & therefor dont see a purpose for a semi auto, that they deem that others shouldnt have them either.. :unknown:
2019-04-16 08.25.17.jpg

Now hows that for a thread going off topic... :o
:drinks:

Sorry, did not mean to infer that anybody was a fudd. The attitude referred to is that shown by some that the moment you are given a semi it will turn you into a "spray & pray" artist, and in my book, that is tantamount to the antis saying the guns turn LAFOs into child killing pychos.
Whilst I totally agree with what you have said above, particually this part "If in the right hands (meaning the 'nut behind the butt' as its been termed), being a competent shot with sufficient training &/or experience, a self loading shottie is a very effective eradication tool...not to mention, for a sporting shooter/hunter adds an entirely different level of enjoyment to a hunt or cull.", I would go further and say that when used properly, a semi rifle in competition introduces a whole new skills set, the first of which is, as I have pointed out eariler, is learning to aim with you eye, not the trigger.
In my much younger days, I, too, enjoyed the rabbit hunt much as you described with my Boito 8 round riot gun, the only difference being instead of a ute I used bird fright.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation