Ratrod

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Ratrod

Post by Stoney » 30 Apr 2019, 5:55 pm

G'day fellas, My Uncle is building a 36 Plymouth Roadster Ratrod /Steampunk /Mad Max hotrod. And he asked me if a shifter like in the pic would be legal. ( QLD ). He doesn't have a firearms licence. I thought it may be possible with a deactivation cert in the glovebox? I suggested to him a deactivated sawn off .303 Mk1 No3 or Double Barrel shotgun would be more Mad Max or at least more identifiable to Australians if he took it to a hotrod show. What's your thoughts? Can this be done? Cheers.
Attachments
shotgun gearshift.jpg
shotgun gearshift.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Ratrod

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2019, 6:19 pm

Stoney wrote:G'day fellas, My Uncle is building a 36 Plymouth Roadster Ratrod /Steampunk /Mad Max hotrod. And he asked me if a shifter like in the pic would be legal. ( QLD ). He doesn't have a firearms licence. I thought it may be possible with a deactivation cert in the glovebox? I suggested to him a deactivated sawn off .303 Mk1 No3 or Double Barrel shotgun would be more Mad Max or at least more identifiable to Australians if he took it to a hotrod show. What's your thoughts? Can this be done? Cheers.

Qld has no restrictions on non-firing replica firearms or deactivated ones, no licence required so I can't see any difficulty. I wouldn't duck across the NSW border with it though. Denix do one that looks perfect for this.
http://www.jasperco.com.au/products/COACHS/coachs.htm
Attachments
Denix sawn-off.PNG
Denix sawn-off.PNG (182.06 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 Apr 2019, 10:05 pm

dunno but it would be cool :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 02 May 2019, 7:05 pm

Thanks blade, Although it may be totally legal, I told my Uncle he should be careful as he could possibly expect problems from todays drone police who have absolutely no education, intelligence or firearm/replica knowledge whatsoever.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ecobogan » 06 May 2019, 8:25 pm

IMG_20190506_153318.jpg
IMG_20190506_153318.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 1772 times

Funny you should ask this as I'm doing a '37 Pontiac sedan rat rod and am planning to run a shotgun as the handbrake lever. It's situated down on the floor to the right of the drivers seat.
Only wrote in to say sounds like a cool project car and good to see these old rigs in rat rod guise these days.... I live near castlemaine Vic and there are a good swag of them kicking around.
Out of interest was his car made by Holden? Mine is, and many Oz delivered non ford and Chrysler's were. Holden were coach builders before producing their own cars so the story goes.
Good luck mate, cool cars inject a lot of flavour into the streets they're seen on and there should be more of it.
Last edited by Ecobogan on 07 May 2019, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 May 2019, 5:26 pm

Why not just use a pipe and wood to look like a shot gun
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 07 May 2019, 9:25 pm

Fair enough question but that's sorta like putting pegs in the spokes of your BMX.
A rat rod is comprised of oddball and hardcore items...I've seen doorcards made from cowboy boots, hood liners from old number plates and rabbit trap foot pedals....pipe n wood just won't cut it.
Last edited by Ecobogan on 07 May 2019, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 07 May 2019, 9:27 pm

G'day Ecobogan, apparently the Roadster was made by the Thomas bros in Sydney.

Ziad, if a replica or deactivated gun is legal all the better as it will look or be a real gun. I just worry about over zealous police.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ecobogan » 07 May 2019, 9:51 pm

Hey Stoney, righto. Fair chance they were coach builders also, I'll try find out.
I get what you mean on the cops...gotta fill the quota any old how and many have some daft ideas, I've been blessed to be dealt the non wanker versions of late.
Rules rules rules, urban life can suck for that!..is why I live in the country
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation