F*cking Ticks

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

F*cking Ticks

Post by Die Judicii » 14 May 2019, 7:40 pm

Geeez, the ticks are bad this year,,,,,, especially the tiny little b@stards.
Yknow,,,, the ones that are that small you have trouble seeing em.
But those little ones pack a punch just as much as the big cattle ticks do.

In the last month I've lost count how many I've had.
Soon as you start feeling tired or got a headache,,,,,,,,,, its time to look for another one that's attached itself.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the risk,,,, and dosing myself with one of the dogs monthly treatments.
I did make inquiries a year back if there is a human version available, :unknown:

Apparently NOT.

So you can use the likes of "Bushmans" (which itself will remove the surface off a rifle stock) but the stink is certainly not what you need when
going hunting, and you want to remain incognito.
Plus, it won't kill ticks anyway, and is at best only a deterrent.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: F*cking Ticks

Post by wanneroo » 14 May 2019, 11:03 pm

You can try Permethrin and treat your clothing.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 15 May 2019, 4:41 am

Ticks are barst@rd things alright. I had to deal with them on a camping trip at sundown national park out near Stanthorpe/ballandean area not long ago. What part of the country are you in DJ ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 15 May 2019, 7:05 am

Growing up in the bush/scrub of FNQ, we always had hassles with cattle ticks and the little scrubticks or 'jiggers' as we used to call them.
Mum cooked with garlic and we would take Vit B tablets 2-3 times a week. Seemed to cut down on the frequency of getting a tick. Old wives tale maybe, but it seemed to work.

Another trick I was brought up with back home, was to rub Vicks on the hem of my jeans or shorts and also on the top of my shoes. I did this whenever I went scrub on exercise over the past 12yrs with the Green-Machine. Especially to Shoalwater Bay TA, that place is a friggen nightmare for ticks. The Vicks helped keep them at bay.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 May 2019, 8:21 am

gunnnie wrote:Growing up in the bush/scrub of FNQ, we always had hassles with cattle ticks and the little scrubticks or 'jiggers' as we used to call them.
Mum cooked with garlic and we would take Vit B tablets 2-3 times a week. Seemed to cut down on the frequency of getting a tick. Old wives tale maybe, but it seemed to work.

Another trick I was brought up with back home, was to rub Vicks on the hem of my jeans or shorts and also on the top of my shoes. I did this whenever I went scrub on exercise over the past 12yrs with the Green-Machine. Especially to Shoalwater Bay TA, that place is a friggen nightmare for ticks. The Vicks helped keep them at bay.

Garlic keeps blood sucking vampires away, so it should work for ticks :lol: I reckon there’s some truth in it , a lot of the old natural remedies do work
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 15 May 2019, 9:03 am

bigrich wrote:
gunnnie wrote:Growing up in the bush/scrub of FNQ, we always had hassles with cattle ticks and the little scrubticks or 'jiggers' as we used to call them.

Garlic keeps blood sucking vampires away, so it should work for ticks :lol: I reckon there’s some truth in it , a lot of the old natural remedies do work

Good old, and I mean the old Aussie recipe, Vegimite which was high in vit B was a good repellent, internal/external. Why it was good for repelling dropbears as well.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 15 May 2019, 9:37 am

Yep the old vitamin b seems to do the trick. Keeps the sandflies and mozzies away too.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 May 2019, 11:04 am

Good old RID that's what I use rub it all over ya and when you get home have a good hot bath I fed my dogs garlic for years '' may have stopped a few ticks and fleas but still got them but they had a shiny coat we have a little mongrel up here called '' Scrub Itch '' its a little orange mite that buries into your skin and makes you scratch like all get out that's why roos nuts hang so low it's from scratching scrub itch or that's what they tell me anyway what I have found to ease them and prevent them was blend ginger up to a liquid and mix it with Vaseline use metho to thin then rub it on don't get in eyes or on nut bag :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2019, 1:58 pm

I brought at least 9 home with me from a recent trip to the bugout, the little buggers certainly provide weeks of uncontrollable mad scratching adventure. Managed to remove all intact apart from 2 that lost their heads in the process. Haven't been feeling the best since getting home but put that down to flu, might hit the Dr for a blood test though just to be sure to be sure.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 May 2019, 2:45 pm

Suddenly south Australia isn't looking so bad.

I've never had a single tick here.

Isn't it amazing that we can dose our livestock for fleas, ticks, mites, flies, fungus ecc but there's seemingly nothing for humans except worming tablets.

Bring back the good old days
images (3).jpeg
DDT dosing at the pool. Fun in the sun.
images (3).jpeg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by trekin » 15 May 2019, 3:00 pm

Good old RID that's what I use rub it all over ya and when you get home have a good hot bath I fed my dogs garlic for years '' may have stopped a few ticks and fleas but still got them but they had a shiny coat we have a little mongrel up here called '' Scrub Itch '' its a little orange mite that buries into your skin and makes you scratch like all get out that's why roos nuts hang so low it's from scratching scrub itch or that's what they tell me anyway what I have found to ease them and prevent them was blend ginger up to a liquid and mix it with Vaseline use metho to thin then rub it on don't get in eyes or on nut bag :thumbsup:

Called red mite. Had a section hit by the litttle f#ckers second last night of a survival course on High Range, Mt Stuart. Definitely an itch to drive ya nuts alright. On the upside, we got our own transport back to Laverack, not jammed in with 30 others in a bus. Whatever they used to delouse us was pretty effective, stopped the itch by about 90%, but left your skin with a dearthly looking orange/yellow hue for about a week though.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 May 2019, 3:42 pm

Agent Orange maybe kills trees to .Nah probably iodine based something iodine alone will stop the itch but who wants to look like a Hari krishna for 4 days ''orange'' spelling is a little wobbly :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by trekin » 15 May 2019, 4:11 pm

Agent Orange maybe kills trees to .Nah probably iodine based something iodine alone will stop the itch but who wants to look like a Hari krishna for 4 days ''orange'' spelling is a little wobbly :thumbsup: :drinks:

Yeah, probably explains the urge to reply to everything with "tough titties".
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 May 2019, 6:34 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Suddenly south Australia isn't looking so bad.

I've never had a single tick here.

Isn't it amazing that we can dose our livestock for fleas, ticks, mites, flies, fungus ecc but there's seemingly nothing for humans except worming tablets.

Bring back the good old days
images (3).jpeg

I've had one here. The sort that you find on sleepy lizards.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 15 May 2019, 8:37 pm

brett1868 wrote:I brought at least 9 home with me from a recent trip to the bugout, the little buggers certainly provide weeks of uncontrollable mad scratching adventure. Managed to remove all intact apart from 2 that lost their heads in the process. Haven't been feeling the best since getting home but put that down to flu, might hit the Dr for a blood test though just to be sure to be sure.

Hey Brett, I've got what is called a "Tick Key"

Best damm gadget I've ever had, and it is on my key ring so it's always ready to use.
No tweezers (worst thing to use), and removes the entire tick including the head every time without fail.
One handed operation, and nearly always traps and holds the tick so you can scrape it into a zip lock bag. Then chuck it into the fire.

Its stamped out of aluminium sheet, and has a tear drop shaped hole that works on the tiny little ones right up to the huge cattle ticks.

I'd post a pic of it,,,, except for some reason my computer won't read my sd card. Recognizes that it's in the computer, but won't read it. :problem:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mickb » 28 May 2019, 2:38 am

Mate what ticks exactly are making you sick like that? I find the grass tick( the little hard brown ones) and the cattle rick are 'usually' pretty harmless, unless you are having a reaction to them. The shellback or paralysis tick is the real bad one, looks the same as the cattle tick but much longer jaw hardware. if you are pulling loads of them of yourself, wow, not good.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by gunnnie » 28 May 2019, 5:22 am

The big problem with ticks is they can be carriers of Lymes Disease. If not treated it can lead to major organ complication as well as joint issues. It can appear to be flu-like in its symptomatic diagnosis.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 May 2019, 4:24 pm

Saw a cow once fully grown. Paralysed. Could not stand. Found one tick. Removed it. Cow came good
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 May 2019, 7:45 pm

100_5270.JPG
100_5270.JPG (579.32 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
In a long and roundabout way I've finally managed to upload (used to be simple on this PC) a pic of the "Tick Key"

Best damm little tool I've ever had.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 30 May 2019, 10:05 am

we have deer ticks here they carrie lyme disease nasty things
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 02 Jun 2019, 6:39 pm

Where did you get the "tick key"...never seen one before but I bet they work well
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Jun 2019, 9:20 pm

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Where did you get the "tick key"...never seen one before but I bet they work well

It works exceptionally well, even on the tiniest ones.
Cheap too. $9 or $10
Just google "Tick Key" or buy off "Ready Pet Go"
There are also short vids on their use.

:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jun 2019, 9:33 pm

I bet the ticks hate those tools To them it must feel like being hit with a big heap of chain being dragged through a paddock by a couple of d nines
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Jun 2019, 9:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:I bet the ticks hate those tools To them it must feel like being hit with a big heap of chain being dragged through a paddock by a couple of d nines

Ahh no, I took a leaf out of the vegans book,,,, I talk to em first, then assure them everything will be ok, then I blindfold em, them give em a couple of rums, then I yank the little b@stards out, and chuck em in the fire all the while singing "burning ring of fire"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation