Leatherman - Multi tool 20 years on

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Leatherman - Multi tool 20 years on

Post by Macross » 23 May 2019, 4:10 pm

At the end of a gig I was working on about 20 years ago, the boss fronted up with a brand new Leatherman super tool for all the lads. Was a great gesture and had many, many years use from that awesome little tool. The other week, I tried some herculean feat of stupidity and managed to snap the nose off the pliers. I was really bummed out about it and felt terrible for breaking it after so long.

Anyhow, my wife was going to buy me a new one to replace it and we were looking at all the new models at the local gun shop while we were there. Struck up a conversation with the sales guy and he suggests I bring in the old broken one to send in to see what they will do. He said, there are no guarantees, but you never know, they may fix or replace it.

Fast forward a week and a bit and old mate from the gun shop says there is a package here for me from the reps. I popped in and was blown away to open it up and here was a brand spanking new 2019 Leatherman super tool!!!! you could have knocked me over with a feather. I was so surprised that they had just replaced a 20 odd year old broken tool with out question.

Hats off to Leatherman, and also to the great sales guy at the gun shop for suggesting to send it in and not just selling me a new one!!!! You don't see service like that often these days.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Leatherman - Multi tool 20 years on

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 May 2019, 4:58 pm

One of few companies that offer a true lifetime replacement warranty.

Awsome hey :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 May 2019, 6:10 pm

AMAZING.jpg
AMAZING.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 2160 times

Id say a rare thing these days
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 23 May 2019, 7:19 pm

I think lifetime (might be 25 years for the leather man?) I bought one in the early 2000s. I have the letterman Wave model. I probably use it nearly every day. I've had mine repaired or replaced 3 times now. The first one just got real sloppy and was replaced with a newer model.

The other two I snapped the nose off the pliers. Once trying to bend some metal. The other time trying to do a motorcycle joining link clip.

I'd be lost without mine. It feels weird not having it on my belt. Which isn't often only if I go out (good clothes) or I go overseas.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 May 2019, 9:31 pm

Cooper wrote:I think lifetime (might be 25 years for the leather man?) I bought one in the early 2000s. I have the letterman Wave model. I probably use it nearly every day. I've had mine repaired or replaced 3 times now. The first one just got real sloppy and was replaced with a newer model.

The other two I snapped the nose off the pliers. Once trying to bend some metal. The other time trying to do a motorcycle joining link clip.

I'd be lost without mine. It feels weird not having it on my belt. Which isn't often only if I go out (good clothes) or I go overseas.

Don’t try and wear one through security...they got mine...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 May 2019, 10:58 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Cooper wrote:I think lifetime (might be 25 years for the leather man?) I bought one in the early 2000s. I have the letterman Wave model. I probably use it nearly every day. I've had mine repaired or replaced 3 times now. The first one just got real sloppy and was replaced with a newer model.

Sounds like theft?

I wore my pocket knife through airport security and they gave me the option to post it to myself.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 24 May 2019, 4:44 am

I never got the option - I was told I could put it unchecked luggage (too late ass hats, you already know it’s checked), to hand it to a non travelling friend / relative or to surrender it to be destroyed (aka - I like the look of that, I’d like it myself...)

To be honest, I completely forgot I had it on me - it was like, grab your keys, wallet, leatherman...so handy - used to use 5 times a day at work.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by ClaytonT88 » 24 May 2019, 11:59 am

I love mine and just bought some eze lap sharpeners for the knife. I use it for a box cutter/file/pliers you name it at work.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bazooker » 24 May 2019, 1:33 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

In a similar vein, I remembered mine at the last minute and shoved mine in the door pocket of the ute, before I left it at the parking joint near the airport.

Haven't seen it since, I was away for a week or so and had forgotten that I had left it there.

By the time I remembered what I had done with it, the ute had been to the dealers for a service and the tyre joint for an alignment; some body somewhere now has my leatherman wave that I had for near on 20 years. It also had the tip snapped off the pliers, must be a thing?

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 25 May 2019, 10:03 am

I did almost the same thing, broke the tip off the pliers trying to pry a projectile out of a steel plate. Sent it off to Zen Imports at West Ryde stating that I was happy to pay for the repair and parts. Couple weeks later a brand new one rocked up in the post, awesome product backed by outstanding service. I'll never buy another brand of multi tool ever.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 25 May 2019, 5:37 pm

Same story for me, i broke the pliers on mine after about a month, took them back to the shop & they gave me the choice to replace them with the same model or with the Wave ones which had just been released that week for no extra cost, They're still going strong and would be at least 20 years old now & have had some adventures.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation