Correct adhesive ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Correct adhesive ?

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jun 2019, 6:31 am

The tracks on my new hunting block are Flat clean and just great. I’m heading there tonight because the moon is just right for allowing me to drive my quad around in the dark no lights on without scaring away the pigs.. I’ll be scanning for pigs with my new thermal binos. I have a new light bar on the front for the times that I do need more light so I can drive safer. It’s mounted low so I have some heavy duty Polycarbonate sheet guards made up to protect the light bar from stick impacts. I have held some red cellophane up against the light bar and I have worked out that I need four layers of cellophane to give me the correct colour I’m chasing ... what do you reckon I could use to glue that cellophane onto the polycarbonate ? I’m thinking some thin clear mist of something over the whole lot. If I can’t think of an adhesive that is suitable for the entire surface I might use clear silicone just round the perimeter.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Correct adhesive ?

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jun 2019, 7:07 am

I guess give the tape a go or maybe get another piece of polycarbonate to go over the top of the cellophane and tape that down, either should work I'd imagine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Jun 2019, 7:14 am

Many gears ago you could get a crystal clear glue that came in an arsesol can - it would lightly mist and dry clear - got it at an auto fabric shop.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 07 Jun 2019, 10:26 am

Could try Photo mount adhesive not sure how clear it would be tho http://www.mpofficeplus.com.au/index.ph ... cts_id=422
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2019, 10:57 am

Wouldnt regular grass, stubble, bush/shrub & stick impacts just tear the celophane...? (Unless on the light/back side of course)
What about make the cover out of red perspex or polycarb...?

Or what about red glass paint (the kind made for painting glass to look like leadlight), again painted on the back/light side of poly.

If none of them, sandwich the celophane between another layer of poly...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jun 2019, 5:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have it sorted. Cellophane is protected as it’s betwwen the light and the polycarbonate........ the sticks will be trashing the polycarbonate for a while. Time will tell how it holds up. And today I found out what a total bugger cellophane is to work with. Tears at th drop of a hat
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jun 2019, 11:44 am

Blr243 wrote:The tracks on my new hunting block are Flat clean and just great.

Your very own opening words seem to be making a mockery of what you are now saying in regard to sticks etc giving the poly carbonate a bashing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 08 Jun 2019, 6:46 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Blr243 wrote:The tracks on my new hunting block are Flat clean and just great.

Your very own opening words seem to be making a mockery of what you are now saying in regard to sticks etc giving the poly carbonate a bashing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would think that given the chosen task is chasing porkers, that some off track excursions will be on the cards. :thumbsup:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jun 2019, 8:03 pm

At the moment I don't even have to go bush to get porkers.
We have some currently that frequent the front paddock.

Yesterday morning my partner was coming home from night shift, and she filmed a black sow with 8 younguns half way up the driveway in broad daylight.

Then last night I was heading out to see a mate, and in the same area as the sow was, I saw the boar run across in front of me.

Neither instances there was a rifle in the vehicle. :thumbsdown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jun 2019, 8:26 pm

Die Judicii wrote:At the moment I don't even have to go bush to get porkers.

Yesterday morning my partner was coming home from night shift, and she filmed a black sow with 8 younguns half way up the driveway in broad daylight.

Then last night I was heading out to see a mate, and in the same area as the sow was, I saw the boar run across in front of me.

Gotta preserve the species for us pig shooters mate. :drinks:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Jun 2019, 8:11 pm

100_5230.JPG
100_5230.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 3067 times
GQshayne wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:At the moment I don't even have to go bush to get porkers.

Gotta preserve the species for us pig shooters mate. :drinks:

Not for this one though,,,,,,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Jun 2019, 8:59 pm

I was fortunate to hunt on a family property for many years, and we became good family friends, still to this day. The property owner Reg, knew we were mostly chasing bigger pigs and would not bother with little ones. Obviously, he was happy to have all of them culled. I remember one day he said to me with a smile on his face, that we should be after the little ones too. "Much more of a challenge" he said.

They mostly carried a rifle at all times in the early days. Never know when a pig would show up.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 12:27 pm

The silicone ended up being a treat. Worked perfect. I drove the quad mostly without lights when safe due to the moon. And when I needed more light for safety I flicked on the red It gave just the perfect amount of light to improve safety and I did not get any bugs in my face as I do when I have a white light ... and a bonus was when useing the red light I used my thermal scope to get my first thermal fox and from only 20 metres
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 12:38 pm

What about spray (or spill--whatever you want to call it) of light from the sides BLR...?

Im picturing a screen at front of light so i imagine youd get quite a bit a white light escape from all around the sides...?

Got pics...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 5:29 pm

I’ll take a pic tomorrow morn or tonight ,,,,,and then I will torture myself with the task of trying to post a pic on the net with my grade three education. I angled the light bar down to spray light on the track in front of me rather than too far forward And then the 8 mm thick polycarbonate sheet sits hard up against it The light bar might be about 75 mm by 300 mm and the polycarbonate guard is probably 200 by 400. I have not noticed any white spray out the sides but I only ever sit in the drive position. I will turn it on and then stand in front of the quad to check it out. Maybe there is a bit of excess light escaping that I’m not seeing.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 5:39 pm

I just had a look. I can’t see any escaping light and even though from the drivers position all I can see on the ground is a red light. But the pic I just took shows that from the animals point of view there is still a bright white look on the light bar. I will have a better look next time I’m the paddocks from standing 50 metres away
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 5:39 pm

I’ll take a pic tomorrow morn or tonight ,,,,,and then I will torture myself with the task of trying to post a pic on the net with my grade three education. I angled the light bar down to spray light on the track in front of me rather than too far forward And then the 8 mm thick polycarbonate sheet sits hard up against it The light bar might be about 75 mm by 300 mm and the polycarbonate guard is probably 200 by 400. I have not noticed any white spray out the sides but I only ever sit in the drive position. I will turn it on and then stand in front of the quad to check it out. Maybe there is a bit of excess light escaping that I’m not seeing.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 5:49 pm

Successful pic posting attempt
Attachments
52908BA3-78C3-4B05-BC26-114A24B4EB7D.jpeg
52908BA3-78C3-4B05-BC26-114A24B4EB7D.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2994 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 5:57 pm

Ah ok...
Not sure why, but i assumed the perspex/poly carb sheet was mounted forward of the light, rather than directly to it... :thumbsup:

I dont have a quad, but it'd still be interesting to see what youve done BLR... :thumbsup:
(scratch that---i see the pic...)

And having a low level education may just help you when it comes to this hi-tech gadgetry mate... :lol: ...kids that havnt been to school work s**t out easy...i went to school & am constantly left baffled at figuring these tech things at the best of times... :crazy:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 7:53 pm

The last boar for the trip. Shot at 15 m with the thermal just after dark on a dam
Attachments
B5A36371-24C3-4BFC-98DC-82BBACC3468C.jpeg
B5A36371-24C3-4BFC-98DC-82BBACC3468C.jpeg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2637 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation