Choice of gun and ammo

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Choice of gun and ammo

Post by flutch » 16 Jun 2019, 4:49 pm

Havasaditis
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 5:36 pm

mickb wrote:
Wombat wrote:So. You are asking on a public forum what legally available firearm would be the best/most popular choice to kill people.
Not something I am going to comment on.

Good call wombat, because zombie lives matter.
Attachments
zombie.jpeg
zombie.jpeg (18.28 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 6:07 pm

Wombat wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Wombat wrote:So. You are asking on a public forum what legally available firearm would be the best/most popular choice to kill people.

Where did he say anything about targeting people?

Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies.

Communist invasion- presumably by communist people.
Aliens controlling government - government who are generally people.
Zombies - who were people.

And where it says killing or targeting these 'people' please? :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 6:10 pm

straightshooter wrote:
PhoneZombies.jpg
mickb wrote:I dont see enough apocalyptic threads on this forum. Way too down to earth and potentially missing out on important topics that could save your life or prevent spread of the T-virus one day. You'll notice the fairly sensibly worded thread title which was just to lure you in. Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, collapse of government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options- dont want it to be too unrealistic, this is serious.

These sorts of threads tend to stimulate replies tending toward group onanism based on Hollywood brainwashing.
In any real all-encompassing SHTF situation the least of your long term concerns will be choice of firearm.
As for zombies we seem to be coping with them already.

yup, that's pretty accurate with regard to the image of the mobile phone zombies :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 6:22 pm

Wombat wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Where did he say anything about targeting people?

Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies.

Communist invasion- presumably by communist people.
Aliens controlling government - government who are generally people.
Zombies - who were people.

geez wombat . this post is pure speculating fantasy . myself, i only mentioned T virus mutants , from the "resident evil" movies and aren't human anymore . and zombies , who are human in form, but don't possess any humanity . as for others listing a invasion of our country by a foreign power , well that's a question of your own morale beliefs and principles and probably a topic that should'nt be discussed on a open forum . but i take this post's topic as a bit of fun as mick has already stated . there's kids playing first person video games right now doing untold damage to realistic humans in everyday situations . to me that's a whole lot more serious than this post . JMHO

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 6:50 pm

Thank god you explained that in detail bigrich I was starting to think they were real I thought I saw one the other day and when I approached it it was holding a lettuce have feelings and a heart beat sign but now its all clear :thumbsup: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Wombat » 16 Jun 2019, 7:36 pm

I'll bow out of this thread, as I obviously confused "Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options-" to be referring to Australian legal firearm choices for dealing with these situations.Which would presumably involve targeting humans.

No way any anti could make the same error about a forum discussing such subjects, and use it to further their agenda of further restricting available firearms.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 8:05 pm

Yeah i'm not going to comment either because all the ones I would want to keep are already banned
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 8:23 pm

Wombat wrote:I'll bow out of this thread,

You have said that twice, whats the hold up?
as I obviously confused "Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options-" to be referring to Australian legal firearm choices for dealing with these situations.

Which would presumably involve targeting humans. No way any anti could make the same error about a forum discussing such subjects, and use it to further their agenda of further restricting available firearms.

Mate I think if the anti's read this the biggest damage would a bloke who owns guns believing zombies were once real people, :wtf:

You do know they aren't real right, and even the people they 'used to be' on the movies also 'aren't real'?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 8:35 pm

bigrich wrote:but i take this post's topic as a bit of fun as mick has already stated . there's kids playing first person video games right now doing untold damage to realistic humans in everyday situations . to me that's a whole lot more serious than this post . JMHO

Its possible they are real people being murdered on those games mate. :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 8:38 pm

But seriously if the mods want they can close it down. I am hoping this is all in tongue in cheek by wombat and he is playing all of us. But you never know and there is no point upsetting people in todays climate. One of the reasons I steered clear of Aus forums previously, any whackjobs are too close to home.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 8:48 pm

in this modern world, especially the online world , people take things too seriously , misunderstandings happen because it's not face to face where facial expresion and voice tone convey humor, even if it's a dry humor that many aussies have . myself included . people also say and express opinions that they wouldn't otherwise do or say in the real world . . mick has from the very start conveyed this as a bit of fun and make believe, it's a shame that another forum member finds this post offensive in some ways. but then again, if you don't like it don't comment and just go to another post . :unknown:

i'm glad i cleared things up for ya. although the thought of ya up on the roof with a 12 ga and ya 7mm rem mag waiting for the zombies to turn up does make me giggle. just make sure ya take enough beer up there while your waiting :D

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 16 Jun 2019, 9:05 pm

Seems I would go against the grain from most here. That seems to be a current norm. I would choose the 223 firstly because reloading components are so cheap. You can buy projectiles in the 500-1000 for $170 they dont take a lot of powder in the case and the case is small. So one of these or more can be setup with several thousand rounds. Also being military there is always the chance of coming across a box of ammo or a box of loaded magazines. I would also have a 308 this is the distance sniper rifle easy to hit a torso at 500 and if the wind is kind 1000 yrds hit also quite within the realm. The third well that is either the 22LR or the 12G some good points for both have been brought up for each I would have them both in the bag of tricks but if I had to choose one it would take more information.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 9:08 pm

Wombat wrote:I'll bow out of this thread, as I obviously confused "Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options-" to be referring to Australian legal firearm choices for dealing with these situations.Which would presumably involve targeting humans.

No way any anti could make the same error about a forum discussing such subjects, and use it to further their agenda of further restricting available firearms.

Well ill do my usual & upset people...

I too got a wiff of what Wombat did from reading the initial post...and i rekon bullying him out of the thread is a bit harsh...

All he has done is (apparently) misinterpret whats been written...

Maybe if it had been written starting with Zombies, instead of Communist invasion (especially given recent world tensions with Nth Korea, China & Iran), & been open to any silly extreme calibre choice, (instead of only what we could legally pull out of our safe to shoot ANY invaders),some people would not take it as it as having an element of seriousness to it. :unknown:

I mean, why do we have to be restricted to only shooting Communists, Country Invaders & Zombies with legal guns... :unknown:

Why cant we shoot them with full auto 200 gauge shotguns launching 367 rounds per minute with alternating solid/00/grenade rounds from a vehicle that is a hybrid of a military 'Hum-Vee'/Mad Max machine/Hover Craft/TIE Interceptor (AKA Badie star wars space fighter)... :unknown:

No point bullying Wombat...he's done nothing wrong here guys... :D :drinks:

Anyway...what happened to being sucked by a Fattie Pretty Vegan Zombie...??? :unknown:
Oh thats right...we cant suggest Zombies are fat, Vegan, Pretty (or ugly) or like sucking humans...that would offend the people who are "Sexually Orientated" toward being Fat Pretty Vegan Human Sucking Zombies... :wtf:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 9:16 pm

Can someone PLEASE email hornady and tell them there Zmax projectiles are downright fuken offensive !
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 9:20 pm

Main by my side would be 22-250.. short range...long range...explosive..lack of ricochet's to give away position....is there really any other choice...? :unknown: (& i have plenty of brass...!! :thumbsup: )

Then there are the generic must have's for proven ability, reliability & convenience...

.22 lr...

12G

Then choice of bigger centrefire...308.../...30-06...(s**t did i just say that :o )...300wm... :unknown:
(308 for me cos im a recoil woos)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 9:41 pm

Stix wrote:Main by my side would be 3006 short range...long range...explosive..lack of ricochet's to give away position....is there really any other choice?

Then there are the generic must have's for proven ability, reliability & convenience...

.22 lr...

12G

Then choice of bigger centrefire..30-06...(s**t did i just say that :o )...:unknown:
(3006 for me cos im a recoil woos)

Fixed it for you - your welcome :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

Stix wrote:Well ill do my usual & upset people...I too got a wiff of what Wombat did from reading the initial post...and i rekon bullying him out of the thread is a bit harsh...

All good styx, I dont think anyone is bullying though. I think the responses are pretty tongue in cheek. He said he wanted to leave before anyone replied anyway.So...

All he has done is (apparently) misinterpret whats been written...Maybe if it had been written starting with Zombies, instead of Communist invasion (especially given recent world tensions with Nth Korea, China & Iran), & been open to any silly extreme calibre choice, (instead of only what we could legally pull out of our safe to shoot ANY invaders),some people would not take it as it as having an element of seriousness to it. :unknown:I mean, why do we have to be restricted to only shooting Communists, Country Invaders & Zombies with legal guns... :unknown:

main reason I put 'legal guns' is because I wanted to hear about guns we are currently using. I have a general interest in conversations about bolt actions and pump actions and I do find survival, long term stockpiling, foraging, living off the land, interesting subjects. In our own national history we have had severe shortages of different ammo for example several times. Not so interested in hearing about auto weapons, RPG's, 16" ship cannons and ballistic missiles, because that is what the thread would have turned into :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
Last edited by mickb on 16 Jun 2019, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 10:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Can someone PLEASE email hornady and tell them there Zmax projectiles are downright fuken offensive !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 10:46 pm

mickb wrote:
Stix wrote:Well ill do my usual & upset people...I too got a wiff of what Wombat did from reading the initial post...and i rekon bullying him out of the thread is a bit harsh...

All good styx, I dont think anyone is bullying though. I think the responses are pretty tongue in cheek. He said he wanted to leave before anyone replied anyway.So...

All he has done is (apparently) misinterpret whats been written...Maybe if it had been written starting with Zombies, instead of Communist invasion (especially given recent world tensions with Nth Korea, China & Iran), & been open to any silly extreme calibre choice, (instead of only what we could legally pull out of our safe to shoot ANY invaders),some people would not take it as it as having an element of seriousness to it. :unknown:I mean, why do we have to be restricted to only shooting Communists, Country Invaders & Zombies with legal guns... :unknown:

main reason I put 'legal guns' is because I wanted to hear about guns we are currently using. I have a general interest in conversations about bolt actions and pump actions and I do find survival, long term stockpiling, foraging, living off the land, interesting subjects. In our own national history we have had severe shortages of different ammo for example several times. Not so interested in hearing about auto weapons, RPG's, 16" ship cannons and ballistic missiles, because that is what the thread would have turned into :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

No worries mickb... :thumbsup:

Im sorry my 200Gauge tracer round & grenade launching 367 rnd/second shotty is a thread de-railer... :oops: consider it retracted... :clap:
:drinks:

Now... ... now ive gotta figure what im gonna do about this 30-06 loving self proclaimed "fixer"...
Hhmmm...
2019-06-16 22.13.03.jpg
What to do...?....what to do...?
2019-06-16 22.13.03.jpg (78.17 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 11:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Stix wrote:Main by my side would be 3006 short range...long range...explosive..lack of ricochet's to give away position....is there really any other choice?

.22 lr...

12G

Then choice of bigger centrefire..30-06...(s**t did i just say that :o )...:unknown:
(3006 for me cos im a recoil woos)

Fixed it for you - your welcome :-)

:lol: :lol: Thats actually pretty funny... :clap:

And i got nothin...nothin i tell ya... :lol:

Well...except for...
"22-250 rules man...baahleez...no returns...!!!"...
:P
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jun 2019, 11:34 pm

I'm not in Australia, so I'm not held to the same restrictions as you all.

1. M-60 machine gun with the E6 upgrade package
2. Suppressed 300 Blackout AR-15
3. Suppressed MP5 SD
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by flutch » 17 Jun 2019, 1:20 am

Gotta admit I'm laughing pretty hard at the "22-250 No Ricochets to give away position" yeah as if you're concealed after a gunshot, LOL... just lol
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2019, 1:58 am

wanneroo wrote:I'm not in Australia, so I'm not held to the same restrictions as you all.

3. Suppressed MP5 SD

Just showing off Waneroo :D But not the most ideal choice for me if I was in the US though.One downside to the US gun freedoms is the old 1934 gun control act- you will need federal stamps to own fancy stuff like that. When the BATF (I mean the sex robot zombies) disarm the population(or come to eat their brains) they will know who you are ;)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2019, 2:30 am

Stix wrote:

Im sorry my 200Gauge tracer round & grenade launching 367 rnd/second shotty is a thread de-railer... :oops: consider it retracted... :clap:

Well I have to admit that gun is starting to grow on me now . You can keep it :lol: :thumbsup:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 17 Jun 2019, 8:42 am

mickb wrote:
wanneroo wrote:I'm not in Australia, so I'm not held to the same restrictions as you all.

3. Suppressed MP5 SD

Just showing off Waneroo :D But not the most ideal choice for me if I was in the US though.One downside to the US gun freedoms is the old 1934 gun control act- you will need federal stamps to own fancy stuff like that. When the BATF (I mean the sex robot zombies) disarm the population(or come to eat their brains) they will know who you are ;)

Well a few companies I work for deal with the ATF all the time due to all the "toys" that we have and most of them are paper pushers who don't know one end of a M-60 from another but they do know paper work and serial numbers, so you better do your paperwork right. If the apocalypse comes or "Red Dawn" happens those people will be the least of my concern.

But I will play your game and assume I have been caught out on one of my trips to Australia and the Chicoms have invaded just like Red Dawn. I am standing in a gun shop at the time and everyone runs away in panic as the Chicoms land on the other side of town and I've got 2 minutes and the keys/safe combo to take 3 guns and whatever ammo I can stuff in a pack. That's actually a hard choice because everything has it's upside and downside. My first choice would be any sort of self loading Cat D rifle they have onsite. If they didn't have that my mind would probably drift to a 308 bolt gun because 308 is common and versatile. Second I'd want something in 9mm or 357 Mag as a concealable and close in back up. Third is a hard choice. That is location dependent. If I was in more of an urban or built up rural area or a place with a lot of vegetation then I might consider a 12g pump action, lever action or semi auto shotgun. More rural open areas I would probably want another centerfire rifle. I'm not a big fan of .223 but maybe I'd take that.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by straightshooter » 17 Jun 2019, 9:28 am

As I foreshadowed in an earlier post on this thread Hollywood brainwashing generally finds it's expression on threads like this.
So you think when truly the SHTF you will be safe in your fortress/bunker and be able to be like (insert name of you favoured movie tough guy here)
The reality is you will be a sitting duck. If ambush firepower doesn't bring you down then time and cunning will.

In the event a real SHTF situation developed in Australia survival would depend on some if not all of these.
Being able to speak Indonesian.
Being able to repair things.
Being able to improvise.
Having diverse well hidden food sources
Staying well and truly under the radar.
Don't think Hollywood shoot'em up hero, think more in terms of the life of Malcolm Naden on the run.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Jun 2019, 1:17 pm

Have a look at the Australian film = the day after tomorrow...where 5 or 6 tweens go off camping for a few days.
In the middle of one night, a couple of them awake and see a large number of jets flying over head and the smell of avgas breeches their otherwise fresh air...but they think nothing of it.
When they return to their small home country town - things are very different, all the families, friends, adults are under the control of a 3rd party who are heavily armed...
The kids that go in hard like Rambo - die.
Some of the others, live like rats, and as SS has said, they do okay with their vigilante hits...

But - bringing realism into what is a fantasy thread is as irrelevant as the thread itself...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 17 Jun 2019, 2:06 pm

There’s a lot to be said of partisan’s during times of occupation. Nazi occupied France and other countries during WW2 . Vietnam was unwinable to the most modern army in the world. I don’t think a occupational force in some of the remote areas of Australia would fare much better
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Jun 2019, 2:19 pm

Hmm what's strange is.... its obvious some people have me on mute now. Lol ahh wil
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation