Choice of gun and ammo

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Choice of gun and ammo

Post by mickb » 15 Jun 2019, 10:45 pm

I dont see enough apocalyptic threads on this forum. Way too down to earth and potentially missing out on important topics that could save your life or prevent spread of the T-virus one day. You'll notice the fairly sensibly worded thread title which was just to lure you in. Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options- dont want it to be too unrealistic, this is serious.

These are the posts that result when you have to cancel a pig hunt due to rain btw. :D
Last edited by mickb on 16 Jun 2019, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Choice of gun and ammo

Post by knowsnothin » 16 Jun 2019, 7:06 am

You cancelled a hunt coz of rain?
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2019, 7:17 am

mickb wrote:I dont see enough apocalyptic threads on this forum. Way too down to earth and potentially missing out on important topics that could save your life or prevent spread of the T-virus one day. You'll notice the fairly sensibly worded thread title which was just to lure you in. Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, collapse of government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options- dont want it to be too unrealistic, this is serious.

These are the posts that result when you have to cancel a pig hunt due to rain btw. :D

.22LR bolt-action repeater. Low maintenance, easy to repair, and in fifty years it'll still be as accurate as it ever was.
20,000rds of .22LR weighs all of 70kg and takes up bugger all room (a cube 390mm by 300mm tall by 330mm wide). In a pinch you can break it down and use the powder and lead to feed something else. Shotgun shells take up tons of room but provide a good store of lead, powder and big primers for use in unconventional ways. And being very low pressure, you can make shotgun shells work in random bits of pipe. Apocalypse follows gun bans so guns will have been totally illegal to the masses for a while, you would go to jail for drawing a mental picture of a firearm.

A centrefire rifle would be the bee's knees but impractical. A shotgun would have uses but is horrendously inefficient in a world in which the ammo you have now is likely to be the only ammo you'll ever have..
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 7:34 am

okay mick, on my cat a&b b license , a 357 marlin lever-quick firing ,good knock down at close range, high mag capacity , probably easier to salvage ammo after the T virus kicks in. :D second - a ruger gunsite scout in 308 , 10 shot mag, reliable mauser action, compact but still has range. third-some sort of lever 12ga that can shoot buckshot . on aussie compliant restricted license's that i don't have , a SLR or M14 in 308 ,9mm tanfoglio handgun and a pump action shotty . after all those T virus mutants can be hard to kill :lol: i've stuck with ammo that is most likely to be found and salvaged from military and private ammo stores after the zombie apocolipse . if i was really lucky i would find a mini gun like "ole painless" from predator movie

as a disclaimer to any GCA trolls or feds looking for nutters , this is pure fantasy imagination and speculation. cause we all know the umbrella corporation and the new world order have mutants and zombies under control ....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i wonder what would happen if a vegan turned zombie ? :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 7:55 am

mickb wrote:These are the posts that result when you have to cancel a pig hunt due to rain btw. :D

Are you made of sugar? :o

ah, who am I kidding... i don't ride my motorbike if it's raining
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 16 Jun 2019, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 7:58 am

bigrich wrote: i wonder what would happen if a vegan turned zombie ?

seeing as we're made of meat they wouldn't bite .... most likely just suck on you for a while :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by JSS » 16 Jun 2019, 8:54 am

Member-Deleted wrote: .... most likely just suck on you for a while :lol:

Well i hope they're good looking zombies then..............and NO fatties....... :lol: :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 10:10 am

JSS wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote: .... most likely just suck on you for a while :lol:

Well i hope they're good looking zombies then..............and NO fatties....... :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Ah come on JSS...where's your sense of adventure...?
Not even just once... :unknown:

Come to think of it...id keep a fattie vegan pretty zombie...Why...?--cos have you ever seen one...?
very rare so must be worth a packet...!!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 16 Jun 2019, 10:20 am

PhoneZombies.jpg
PhoneZombies.jpg (84.04 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
mickb wrote:I dont see enough apocalyptic threads on this forum. Way too down to earth and potentially missing out on important topics that could save your life or prevent spread of the T-virus one day. You'll notice the fairly sensibly worded thread title which was just to lure you in. Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, collapse of government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options- dont want it to be too unrealistic, this is serious.

These sorts of threads tend to stimulate replies tending toward group onanism based on Hollywood brainwashing.
In any real all-encompassing SHTF situation the least of your long term concerns will be choice of firearm.
As for zombies we seem to be coping with them already.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Jun 2019, 11:57 am

If you look at history.... the hasn't been many if any outlaw that has killed more than 20 people independently verified, except in the last 10/20 years where terrorists have shot in public spaces.

Of the outlaws, most of the kills have been to the back..ie not mano a mano, in a gun fight with an aware opponent.

So in light of that 1 gun and 40 rounds be enough.... unless you going zombie hunting, in that case unless you have hornady zombie rounds you are out of luck and might as will try and hide :lol:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flutch » 16 Jun 2019, 12:13 pm

For rifles unlike most I would only keep for defensive purposes,

so 12gauge repeater of some sort, would be great if it was a pump along with some slugs and 00 buck a thousand or more of each if possible.

223 or other 22cal high powered rifle again at least 3000 rounds, ten shot mag.

300 winmag with decent durable non target fandangled gayed up scope with a bipod but no big heavy varmint or Target thing, don't want to need smoko breaks to carry it, and again 3000 rounds or more and mainly have that rifle so c#nts with body armor and the likes still get floored by it.

If we are talking just surviving the elements, not insurgents, I would look to have a 22lr with all my ammo stored in dry air purged containers, vacuum sealed etc. Bolt action for reliability. A buttload of ammo.

12 gauge with some buckshot, slugs and #6 shot again a buttload of each.

And any large deer cartridge, not 308 as every prick and their dog has them and ammo will NOT be available as everyone and their fog would have looted it already, and that goes for all other currently "in service" ammunition. Again a buttload of ammo.

More realistic is a recurve bow, and access to good timbers to make shafts and a supply of string material. As well as access to materials to make snares (wire, string etc etc) either way you can't go it alone, we all age, are vulnerable to snake bites, falls and slips, being caught in weather and exposed to the elements etc so reliable trustworthy allies matter more than a lot of the other stuff
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 16 Jun 2019, 12:22 pm

So. You are asking on a public forum what legally available firearm would be the best/most popular choice to kill people.
Not something I am going to comment on.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 1:12 pm

knowsnothin wrote:You cancelled a hunt coz of rain?

If you can lend me your half-track to get on and off the mountain I'll go. ;)
Last edited by mickb on 16 Jun 2019, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 1:18 pm

Wombat wrote:So. You are asking on a public forum what legally available firearm would be the best/most popular choice to kill people.

Good call wombat, because zombie lives matter.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 1:53 pm

Been to an airport lately? Or a restaurant? The zombies are already here...BUT as long as they have signal, the threat of violence to others is significantly apparently diminished. Heaven forbid the wifi signal goes down...it’s pretty insane out there.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 2:25 pm

Im a big fan of some of the calibres mentioned above btw. 22LR is one of the few things you can realistically stock a life time hunting 22LR will headshot a variety of medium game. 12ga, didn't think of the benefits of using it as 'component storage', not bad. In military and police circles its an ammunition type that is a pig to carry its so heavy,needing constant re-supply if you are out and about.
PS any aussies getting upset about this sort of conversation- its just in fun. Anyone who is worried about killing people, your words not mine. Personally my greatest use of a firearm would be no.1 food harvesting. zombies, no2 and alien sexbots probably no3, only as hopefully I won't have to shoot them in order to capture them. Seriously, if management doesn't like this, they can shut it down anytime.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2019, 3:06 pm

Wombat wrote:So. You are asking on a public forum what legally available firearm would be the best/most popular choice to kill people.

Where did he say anything about targeting people?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 16 Jun 2019, 3:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies.

Communist invasion- presumably by communist people.
Aliens controlling government - government who are generally people.
Zombies - who were people.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by flutch » 16 Jun 2019, 4:49 pm

Havasaditis
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 5:36 pm

mickb wrote:

Good call wombat, because zombie lives matter.
Attachments
zombie.jpeg
zombie.jpeg (18.28 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 6:07 pm

Wombat wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

And where it says killing or targeting these 'people' please? :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 6:10 pm

straightshooter wrote:
PhoneZombies.jpg

These sorts of threads tend to stimulate replies tending toward group onanism based on Hollywood brainwashing.
In any real all-encompassing SHTF situation the least of your long term concerns will be choice of firearm.
As for zombies we seem to be coping with them already.

yup, that's pretty accurate with regard to the image of the mobile phone zombies :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 6:22 pm

Wombat wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

geez wombat . this post is pure speculating fantasy . myself, i only mentioned T virus mutants , from the "resident evil" movies and aren't human anymore . and zombies , who are human in form, but don't possess any humanity . as for others listing a invasion of our country by a foreign power , well that's a question of your own morale beliefs and principles and probably a topic that should'nt be discussed on a open forum . but i take this post's topic as a bit of fun as mick has already stated . there's kids playing first person video games right now doing untold damage to realistic humans in everyday situations . to me that's a whole lot more serious than this post . JMHO

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 6:50 pm

Thank god you explained that in detail bigrich I was starting to think they were real I thought I saw one the other day and when I approached it it was holding a lettuce have feelings and a heart beat sign but now its all clear :thumbsup: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Wombat » 16 Jun 2019, 7:36 pm

I'll bow out of this thread, as I obviously confused "Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options-" to be referring to Australian legal firearm choices for dealing with these situations.Which would presumably involve targeting humans.

No way any anti could make the same error about a forum discussing such subjects, and use it to further their agenda of further restricting available firearms.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 8:05 pm

Yeah i'm not going to comment either because all the ones I would want to keep are already banned
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 8:23 pm

Wombat wrote:I'll bow out of this thread,

You have said that twice, whats the hold up?
as I obviously confused "Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options-" to be referring to Australian legal firearm choices for dealing with these situations.

Which would presumably involve targeting humans. No way any anti could make the same error about a forum discussing such subjects, and use it to further their agenda of further restricting available firearms.

Mate I think if the anti's read this the biggest damage would a bloke who owns guns believing zombies were once real people, :wtf:

You do know they aren't real right, and even the people they 'used to be' on the movies also 'aren't real'?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 8:35 pm

bigrich wrote:but i take this post's topic as a bit of fun as mick has already stated . there's kids playing first person video games right now doing untold damage to realistic humans in everyday situations . to me that's a whole lot more serious than this post . JMHO

Its possible they are real people being murdered on those games mate. :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 8:38 pm

But seriously if the mods want they can close it down. I am hoping this is all in tongue in cheek by wombat and he is playing all of us. But you never know and there is no point upsetting people in todays climate. One of the reasons I steered clear of Aus forums previously, any whackjobs are too close to home.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 8:48 pm

in this modern world, especially the online world , people take things too seriously , misunderstandings happen because it's not face to face where facial expresion and voice tone convey humor, even if it's a dry humor that many aussies have . myself included . people also say and express opinions that they wouldn't otherwise do or say in the real world . . mick has from the very start conveyed this as a bit of fun and make believe, it's a shame that another forum member finds this post offensive in some ways. but then again, if you don't like it don't comment and just go to another post . :unknown:

i'm glad i cleared things up for ya. although the thought of ya up on the roof with a 12 ga and ya 7mm rem mag waiting for the zombies to turn up does make me giggle. just make sure ya take enough beer up there while your waiting :D

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation