Choice of gun and ammo

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Choice of gun and ammo

Post by Stix » 18 Jun 2019, 12:01 am

Ziad wrote:Hmm what's strange is.... its obvious some people have me on mute now. Lol ahh wil

Dont worry Ziad...i rekon im about the only one who reads my posts...before long it'll just be you n me in our own little circle...

If you're on mute, i must have skud missiles waiting for coordinates to be entered ...!!
:D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jun 2019, 7:13 am

Haha it fells like it... I suppose I might have tried to upset a few people here... haha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2019, 9:17 am

What ! Who said that ? Oh, it’s you stix ;) you’re well set up already with ya 22-250 for the zombie wabbits hey mate ? :lol: dunno about skud missles, might need a bigger vehicle than a tray back land cruiser. I want the mini gun like out of the first predator movie. “Ole painless “ :lol: hey ya haven’t seen that ziad character around have ya ? Or did the zombies get him ? :sarcasm: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Jun 2019, 10:20 am

Lol...maybe he used a 223 & they found him from the ricochet's of his misses... :unknown:

Hey Flutch... :unknown: ...lol... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 18 Jun 2019, 10:55 am

Stix wrote:Lol...maybe he used a 223 & they found him from the ricochet's of his misses... :unknown:

Hey Flutch... :unknown: ...lol... :thumbsup:

Haha, priceless, yeah I mean you know how it goes mate, think you're safe nek minnit ya fine shooting things then "**type here gun other than 22-250**" ricochets and you're ass is grass :allegedly: :wtf:
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2019, 11:26 am

Maybe I’ll get lucky and we get invaded by the Swedes and I have plenty of ammo for my 6.5x55 . Lol . Wait a minute, ikea stores might be a front as they are strategically placed around the country. lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JSS » 18 Jun 2019, 4:10 pm

Stix wrote:
JSS wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote: .... most likely just suck on you for a while :lol:

Well i hope they're good looking zombies then..............and NO fatties....... :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Ah come on JSS...where's your sense of adventure...?
Not even just once... :unknown:

Ok, if you dip one in chocolate and roll it in sprinkles i'll give it a go :friends:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2019, 6:25 pm

anyone seen "shaun of the dead " ? not a bad comedy spoof of zombies set in england. they end up using a 44-40 model 92 :P believe it or not ,the royal navy bought 20,000 model 92's in WW1 . :wtf:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2019, 11:36 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Lucky bugger 8-)
Far from a cheep toy in 94 :shock:

You are right, about a months salary in the army. A spas-12 was $1400 new.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2019, 11:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I was chatting with some poms recently and they seem to have very strict _and pitiful_ limits on how much ammunition they can buy and possess. Even reloaders are only allowed to have a small amount of loaded ammo on-hand at any time, although they can have as many components as they want apparently. I didn't ask what that might mean to somebody with 25 different centrefire rifles, can they only keep ten rounds for each chambering? I read about Italy (I think it was) and there you can only own and shoot something like 100rds a year. Some countries have it way, way worse than we do :-(

Good points on 22LR mate. And its upsetting the plight of the poms. They were the worlds premier firearms sportsman in the old days. I had a mate in Greece in the 2000's tell me they could only hunt with firearms without rifling :wtf: so he was designing the most accurate 12ga slugs possible, including fin stabilised sabots.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Jun 2019, 8:55 pm

bigrich wrote:Maybe I’ll get lucky and we get invaded by the Swedes and I have plenty of ammo for my 6.5x55 . Lol . Wait a minute, ikea stores might be a front as they are strategically placed around the country. lol

The Sweets can come and invade anytime they want ... I'm cocked and loaded :lol:
a78d06eacb4957624803fcebfe2a662c.jpg
a78d06eacb4957624803fcebfe2a662c.jpg (41.8 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Jun 2019, 9:51 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 22 Jun 2019, 8:10 am

bladeracer wrote:During and immediately after the war, Rose's dad apparently had to apply for a permit to buy a box of .22LR ammo. And it was expensive and hard to find, so when he went out to snag a feed for the pot he took just one round with him, and if he didn't get a shot at a rabbit the round went back in the box for next time. That to me explains perfectly why you need to stock pile .22LR ammo years before it becomes a problem.

I was chatting with some poms recently and they seem to have very strict _and pitiful_ limits on how much ammunition they can buy and possess. Even reloaders are only allowed to have a small amount of loaded ammo on-hand at any time, although they can have as many components as they want apparently. I didn't ask what that might mean to somebody with 25 different centrefire rifles, can they only keep ten rounds for each chambering? I read about Italy (I think it was) and there you can only own and shoot something like 100rds a year. Some countries have it way, way worse than we do :-(

I don't think of a warfare scenario as an apocalypse, I think more of an infrastructure breakdown leading to an immediate and continuing need for self-defense and having to hunt your own meat, so there wouldn't be any need for shooting over 100m maximum, or for anything more potent than .22LR.

If we were looking at an invasion though, and having to head for the hills to keep up a resistance movement, then the situation is very different. It would be both defensive and offensive, but weaponry would very likely be whatever could be liberated from the invaders, so I don't think your own preferences would matter at all.

Interestingly, Vernon Speer started Speer Bullets during the shortages of WW2 using 22LR cases to make jacketed .22 bullets.

Italy recently had gun reform in favor of gun rights so things might have changed there.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Angel » 24 Jul 2019, 1:00 pm

Beretta m9. 22. Light versatile and you can carry sheet loads of ammo at bugger all weight. old Winchester. 22 pump action and last... 308 pump action for those particularly large zombie hybrid beasties...
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2019, 5:59 pm

sungazer wrote:Seems I would go against the grain from most here. That seems to be a current norm. I would choose the 223 firstly because reloading components are so cheap. You can buy projectiles in the 500-1000 for $170 they dont take a lot of powder in the case and the case is small. So one of these or more can be setup with several thousand rounds. Also being military there is always the chance of coming across a box of ammo or a box of loaded magazines. I would also have a 308 this is the distance sniper rifle easy to hit a torso at 500 and if the wind is kind 1000 yrds hit also quite within the realm. The third well that is either the 22LR or the 12G some good points for both have been brought up for each I would have them both in the bag of tricks but if I had to choose one it would take more information.

As above +1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation