gun room and safe ventilation ideas

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

gun room and safe ventilation ideas

Post by mickb » 25 Jun 2019, 5:49 pm

yeah sort of a strange title .

Basically looking for ideas to add some kind of window to the solid core wood door to my spare room, which also holds my gun safe.

Its not a gun strongroom in that sense, just a normal room with heavy door and deadbolt, but I keep it locked as it has other goodies in the room.

The issue is it has only one window( with security mesh) and no great ventilation in the room even with the window open.

In NQ, particularly during rain, any rooms that are not commonly being opened and walked into accumulate mould pretty quick, within a few days at times. I have backpacks and sleeping bag hanging up, mould eats stuff and costs money in this region. Also my rossi levergun with its rubberwood stock( I think) gets covered in green fuzz about every 2 weeks.

Ideas I have had.
1. Running a fan in the room constantly?
2. Cutting the window section in the door as mentioned. Any ideas? Size? What tool cuts a good hole in a door? How to still secure it?( screw mesh over the hole? Where to get it?).
3. Aircon- I dont want the expense for another room.
4. packet dessicants just won't work, too much moisture.

Also just regards the gun safe

1. Finishing the Rossi stock with something more protective.
2. Ripping the cheap fluffy carpet interior out as it probably assists mould growth.
3. Drilling a couple holes in the top or a less accessible surface( its a solid 6mm all sides) to try and improve the air flow into it.

Im no handyman as you can tell, the technical jobs were given to people who scored higher on the army aptitude tests :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: gun room and safe ventilation ideas

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2019, 6:15 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 25 Jun 2019, 7:14 pm

TassieTiger wrote:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/700ml-23W-Air-Household-Moisture-Absorber-Portable-Electric-Mini-Dehumidifier/333158127740?hash=item4d91c5987c:g:7-IAAOSwJm9cvv00

Do you use one TT?? Thoughts on it if you do????
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 25 Jun 2019, 8:03 pm

Mate I had been told the small ones are a bit gimicky and at a decent size they are chewing more power, heating the room( not preferable here) also would need to look at drainage if away a few weeks. I'll check out the mid size options anyway.
Not being an eleccy or having much knowledge of these things, what about a good old fashioned exhaust fan?
Maybe a cieling fan running all day might work too...
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 25 Jun 2019, 9:26 pm

That dehumidifier draws 23 watts. Not sure if that is on 240 volts though, as it does not specify that. I would say yes at a guess. An exhaust fan from Bunnings draws 38 watts, so will use more power obviously.

One issue with an exhaust fans, is you are simply moving moist air around, rather than removing the moisture.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2019, 9:32 pm

GQshayne wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/700ml-23W-Air-Household-Moisture-Absorber-Portable-Electric-Mini-Dehumidifier/333158127740?hash=item4d91c5987c:g:7-IAAOSwJm9cvv00

Do you use one TT?? Thoughts on it if you do????

I’ve seen one used in a room that had a lot of heat in it and it was very cold outside, so condensation was to the point that water was dripping from the roof and on to electrical items.
This unit fixed the issue (room was 3m x 3m)but the unit itself needs regular attendance to empty water etc. bloody amazing how much water is in the air when you have hot/cold temps side by side lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 26 Jun 2019, 1:15 pm

It not so much how much water is in the air when you have different temperatures its that the dew point for condensation is reached easier at the surfaces. You can have more vapour in say a very hot room without the temperature differential and it won't be condensing. Also the other problem is here is being rainforest we have more of the mould species not requiring liquid water on surfaces to grow, which is the usual mechanism in buildings etc.It forms readily on anything, free hanging objects etc in rooms that feel dry. Generally either you control the climate, or keep air physically flowing to prevent it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2019, 4:22 pm

Solar powered Computer fan
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation